Sign in to follow this  
Architecture

Anyone here own a fancy keyboard?

You don't even want to get me started on my preferences regarding monitors:

I have a CRT too! I think I'm about ready to give up on it though.

edit: maybe that's not a CRT, but it looked like one at first glance.

I have a CRT too! I think I'm about ready to give up on it though.

edit: maybe that's not a CRT, but it looked like one at first glance.

Yeah, its a CRT...a Sony GDM 5411 (running at 1920x1440).  It works pretty well, I got it in September 2008 and I have a service cable for it so I can correct its G2 voltage (doing that, you can keep it running for a looooong time since the reason it washes out it largely due to an issue (rounding bug) in the CMOS/software causing it to constantly raise the G2 voltage over time).

I recently bought a new monitor calibrator (as the old one I used back when I got it doesn't play nice with Windows 7 or 8 and its been needing recalibrated for a while now) and the picture is almost like new again...I'll eventually replace this thing when it dies, but for now I really love it and being able to use all sorts of different resolutions without serious image degradation is nice.  Its really nice having a display with pretty much no latency and excellent black levels that can handle all kinds of different resolutions without any serious image degradation!

GwDawh0l.jpg

Is there a dedicated "show off your rig" thread for the Thumbs? I always enjoy seeing what people have done to personalize their experience.

So the rubberized keycaps on this board are done fairly cheaply. It's a translucent plastic that has been airbrushed with a black matte finish, and each of the individual keys have been masked so that the LEDs on the board emanate through the translucent symbols. It's an interesting cost-saving approach, but it makes no real aesthetic or tactile difference (unless you're looking the overspray on the underside of the individual caps).

It also lets you feel the letter on each key, if you have sensitive enough finger tips. (I assume its still done the same way, with the symbol being marginally indented.)

Oooh I love a good keyboard thread. I can second the recommendation for wasdkeyboards.com (not to be confused with wasdkeyboard.com, which redirects to a different site, maxkeyboards or something). This is mine, I have cherry blue switches on it.

iTrJyzqPAkZPC.jpg

I don't think there is really any benefit to having mechanical switches for gaming, maybe there is, I don't do much competitive gaming. It is quite nice when programming though. Plus I like the clicking sound. I have one at work, too (a rosewill RK-9000, a generic cheaper cherry switch keyboard, but often out of stock)