Sign in to follow this  
Nelsormensch

Terminal7 8: Eventually Your Breathing Will Stop

Terminal7 8: 

512__cover.jpg

Eventually Your Breathing Will Stop
Our first meat-space guest, Klei and BioShock: Infinite designer Seth Rosen joins Nels and Jesse to talk about tips for newcomers. With the complexity of a game like Netrunner, learning how to play is just one step down a long cyberroad to victory. But perhaps Seth will help folks, new and veteran alike, get a little further down that path.

Games Discussed: Android: Netrunner (Don't expect this will change much)

Man, you are just knocking it out of the park with these episode titles.

Heh, taking a cue from Idle Thumbs, it's usually just something great someone said during the episode! In this case, Seth gets the credit ;)

Nice episode.

I appreciate the thematic terminology as well, except that the use of the words "stack" and "heap" are not even close to their real meaning, and the often-heard fan term "recursion" is used in reference to its common meaning rather than its software one. I think it's a barrier to entry to use different names for the same concepts.

Edit: Oops, this comment was about episode 7. Still trying to catch up. :)

By the way Nels, did you know you sound almost exactly like TJ Thyne? He plays Dr Jack Hodgins on Bones.

I appreciate the thematic terminology as well, except that the use of the words "stack" and "heap" are not even close to their real meaning, and the often-heard fan term "recursion" is used in reference to its common meaning rather than its software one. I think it's a barrier to entry to use different names for the same concepts.

Heh, yeah. At least Stack means "data where the order is important" vs. Heap where it's just an unordered pile that can be used for whatever. But yeah, it's a stretch at best as far as it being close to real CS lingo. But I don't think it's actually that obtuse for new players- you start with a big stack of cards for your deck and when used they just get tossed out in a heap! ;)

Recursion though ... yeah. That's technically imported from Magic but it's a weird coincidence that it's now used in an ostensibly hacking themed game but it's even more inaccurate in that context.

By the way Nels, did you know you sound almost exactly like TJ Thyne? He plays Dr Jack Hodgins on Bones.

I have never heard of this person nor watched that show, but now I'm going to have to go check it out!

I'm pretty sure "recursion" meaning "getting something back you've already used" is a fairly common term in tabletop gaming.

I'm pretty sure "recursion" meaning "getting something back you've already used" is a fairly common term in tabletop gaming.

Oh huh, interesting! I think I first heard it from Magic but yeah, it's probably more broad than that. 

I could be making that up, though, and in any case I wouldn't be surprised if it started in Magic.

Man, true CS recursion on a card would hurt my brain ;)

Glad I found this podcast! I've been trying to find more time for Netrunner and this is helping me enjoy the game vicariously.

Also, I've been doing a lot of teaching games, and I thought your idea for basic teaching decks made of extra cards with minimal complexity would be awesome. Off the top of my head, I made these two. Mostly basic set cards that I'll have extras of after I get my two extra sets. I couldn't make it ALL basic cards, unfortunately, and still avoid Traces or other 'fancy' stuff, but this way it's all Agendas and Ice for the corp, with some money-making Operations, and ice-breakers and basic Events for the runner. We'll see how it works...

Anyone have ideas on how to cut down on the non-basic-set cards?

Basic Runner (30 cards)

Event (10)

Hardware (5)

Resource (4)

Icebreaker (9)
3 Corroder  ••••• •
3 Ninja  ••••• •

Program (2)

Basic Corp (30 cards)

Agenda (5)

Operation (7)

Barrier (6)

Code Gate (6)
3 Tollbooth  ••••• •

Sentry (6)
3 Neural Katana  ••••• •

Besides Priority Req on Archer, only putting in 3 pointers for archers to eat seems rough.

I wouldn't recommend making teaching decks with less than the minimum deck size and agenda count. I think that distorts the play experience too much.

I wouldn't recommend making teaching decks with less than the minimum deck size and agenda count. I think that distorts the play experience too much.

Yeah, as teaching decks, I'd just go straight with that's in the box. But I think a Shaper + Weyland matchup is better than Shaper + Jinteki. Core Shaper is all big rig and Core Weyland is mostly big ICE.

I initially tried to minimize how much traces would come into play by making the core matchup Shaper + H-B, but I found the bioroid click through subroutines thing was more confusing than the traces.

You could just play through the first however many turns or play to 5 points instead of 7 or something if it's a time issue.