Sign in to follow this  
Zeusthecat

Intoxication in Video Games

Spate features an alcoholic trying to come to terms with personal trauma.  The amount you drink has opposing effects on the world.  You feel (become) more skilled, but the world becomes more difficult to traverse. 

One concept I think would be really interesting (and probably highly controversial) would be a game that depicts a group of friends doing mushrooms or acid. If you were able to play through the experience that each character has during their trip, there could be a lot of possibility for some unique gameplay mechanics and visuals.

Full Throttle was originally going to include a sequence where Ben takes a peyote induced hallucinogenic trip.

Now that would have been fantastic. I imagine this is the type of thing that a developer would have a really hard time doing without feeling compelled to tie it to a "drugs are bad" message so as not to seem like they are encouraging drug use. 

That rejected sequence later became the basis for Psychonauts

Well good thing I have Psychonauts on my backlog. I guess I'll have to bump that game up a little higher on my list.