Sign in to follow this  
Nelsormensch

Terminal7 4: Like the Prawn

Terminal7 4: 

473__header.jpg

Like the Prawn
Mala Tempora has been released, so Nels and Jesse push past an etymological conundrum and talk about some of the most interesting cards in this new data pack. And with the announcement of Honour & Profit, the next deluxe expansion that will focus exclusively on Jinteki and Criminal, a multi-week faction discussion begins! Nels and Jesse look at the design, theme and iconic cards of the Jinteki corporation, with the rest of the factions to come in the weeks ahead.

Games Discussed: Android: Netrunner (Don't expect this will change much)

Fantastic episode guys! 

As a Japanese speaker, I just wanted to maybe clear up that anecdote about Jinteki's name. 

Jinteki (人的) is a compound word, made of two kanji,  The first, 人, meaning 'person', and the second, 的, meaning 'of, or relating to'. So when the two halves are put together, the dictionary definition of the word is 'personal' or 'human', as in human resources, or human error. It is possible, should you really want to stretch the meaning by breaking the word back down to its constituent parts, to read jinteki as... 'humanish', I suppose. I suspect a native wouldn't necessarily make the same leap, though I could be wrong, but as your friend points out, it would be damn cool if the naming was intentional. On the whole the use of Japanese words in the game is pretty good! All the names sound like actual plausible names at least!

So, more to the point, apparently 'haas' is is Dutch/German for 'hare'. Any rabbity-themed ice coming up? 

Oh jeez, I actually intended to write that as a (poor) joke but just realised the Germanic origins of the company name must be why they use the name "Wotan" rather than "Odin". That's pretty rad.

Jinteki (人的) is a compound word, made of two kanji,  The first, 人, meaning 'person', and the second, 的, meaning 'of, or relating to'. So when the two halves are put together, the dictionary definition of the word is 'personal' or 'human', as in human resources, or human error. It is possible, should you really want to stretch the meaning by breaking the word back down to its constituent parts, to read jinteki as... 'humanish', I suppose. I suspect a native wouldn't necessarily make the same leap, though I could be wrong, but as your friend points out, it would be damn cool if the naming was intentional. On the whole the use of Japanese words in the game is pretty good! All the names sound like actual plausible names at least!

Ah yeah, that's what it was! My memory was a bit fuzzy and my Japanese is way, way rusty. It was definitely a stretch for sure, but still a funny musing. Thanks =)

Oh jeez, I actually intended to write that as a (poor) joke but just realised the Germanic origins of the company name must be why they use the name "Wotan" rather than "Odin". That's pretty rad.

Yeah, ditto with Heimdall (another Norse god), the Tyr in Tyr's Hand, etc. Even the Ruhr Valley is a real area in Germany. Dig the little things like that.

I guess the real mystery is what Janus is doing mixed up among all those Norse dudes...

That's really neat, imp! And I guess it makes the "personal evolution" tagline make even more sense!

Yeah, ditto with Heimdall (another Norse god), the Tyr in Tyr's Hand, etc. Even the Ruhr Valley is a real area in Germany. Dig the little things like that.

All the regions are actually real places. SanSan is apparently "San Francisco San Diego" implying that basically all of California has become a megacity. ChiLo likely has the same thing going on, although nobody's really sure which cities it combines. I imagine Hokusai is a similar mixing of Japanese regions.

My girlfriend picked up the A Game of Thrones board game as a Christmas gift for me. I explained to her that it's a great game but plays a lot like Diplomacy which caused her to recoil in horror. She kept the receipt though so I'm going to pick up a different game, and I'm almost certain it is going to be Netrunner, but I want anyone that is up for it to sell me on the game to push me from a probably going to buy to an almost certainly going to buy. Maybe send a private message in the interest of not getting too off topic with this thread!

Thanks!

Hey guys. 

great stuff.

the link is to the wrong episode though. 

I will not have my intent questioned! (Also, thanks, I copied and pasted that post in a way that was dumb)