Sign in to follow this  
Nelsormensch

Terminal 7 2: I Flatined An Eight Year-Old Girl

Terminal7 2: 

461__header.jpg

I Flatlined An Eight Year-Old Girl
Nels and Jesse discuss playing in FFG's Plugged-In Tour tournament in Seattle. Jesse did tremendously well while Nels unceremoniously flatlined a child he did not know. Nels also got a chance to play Lukas Litzsinger, the lead designer of Android: Netrunner. You can guess how well that went. Opening Moves is briefly discussed and plans for the future are laid out.

Games Discussed: Android: Netrunner (Don't expect this will change much)

Great cast guys! That girl is a boss!

That Kit deck from Toronto actually belongs to a friend of mine and let me tell you, it is a beast. Yogasaurus, Atman and Datasuckers essentially nullify all your ice. Kit is such an interesting ID: you can definitely play around her, but it requires a different line of thinking than most decks do. You have to be aware of how your ice is setup and how many runs you're forcing the Runner to make each turn. And if you're unable to play around her, she wrecks your shit.

Nels actually got the text on Sundew slightly wrong. It reads "The first time the Runner spends at least 1 [click] on his or her turn, gain 2 [credits] unless the Runner just initiated a run on this server." It's not any run that stops Sundew from triggering; the Runner has to specifically run on Sundew or the Corp gains 2 credits. Now, that can be used to bait the Runner in hitting a Neural Katana or Chum -> Data Mine when they're not prepared for it, but the most interesting interaction comes with Replicating Perfection. Remember, Replicating Perfection disallows the Runner from running on remote servers until they've run on a central. Which means that it is impossible for them to stop Sundew from triggering. Essentially, this means that in RP, Sundew is a double Pad Campaign with a cheaper trash cost that is guaranteed to at the very least pay itself back.

I am so damn excited for that card. It's coming in the next Data Pack, Mala Tempora, and will get me to resurrect my RP deck. I might even try out that Shipment from Mirrormorph trick that Nels brought up.

Great show guys! I was living under a rock last week and missed the first one (until now), but loving the show and can't wait for next week.

You mentioned Jackson Howard and some of his uses I just wanted to add something I find hilarious and situationally useful. If a runner has some way of getting knowledge of your R&D, through Deep Thought or an Indexing run, and are hitting up the R&D because they know there's an agenda on top, revealing a Jackson Howard and cycling 3 cards back into your deck just before they get to access it usually sparks a funny look on their face as that knowledge they thought they had is no longer there. It's also a good way to cycle in some non-agenda cards in those long running games where all your agendas seem to clump themselves nicely in the bottom of your R&D. And as an HB player, I can't tell you how awesome it is to have some padding from a poor draw of an accelerated beta test.

The game where you won by getting a couple of agenda cards from a run reminds me of two games I have played in the last couple days - in one I flatlined when I used Maker's eye and hit 2 snares and in the other I won after two uses of Maker's eye in a couple of turns netting me 4 agenda cards. After hearing this episode I think I will try out the other runner decks. Been sticking with Shaper just cause it was the one I started with on OCTGN. 

That Kit deck from Toronto actually belongs to a friend of mine and let me tell you, it is a beast. Yogasaurus, Atman and Datasuckers essentially nullify all your ice. Kit is such an interesting ID: you can definitely play around her, but it requires a different line of thinking than most decks do. You have to be aware of how your ice is setup and how many runs you're forcing the Runner to make each turn. And if you're unable to play around her, she wrecks your shit.

Oh nice! Yeah, for Plugged-In I blanched and went with Yogasarus + other breaks instead of Atman and I think it wasn't the right call. Now, I think that is quite viable, but I didn't have quite the rest of the support I needed to do it.

Nels actually got the text on Sundew slightly wrong. It reads "The first time the Runner spends at least 1 [click] on his or her turn, gain 2 [credits] unless the Runner just initiated a run on this server." It's not any run that stops Sundew from triggering; the Runner has to specifically run on Sundew or the Corp gains 2 credits. Now, that can be used to bait the Runner in hitting a Neural Katana or Chum -> Data Mine when they're not prepared for it, but the most interesting interaction comes with Replicating Perfection. Remember, Replicating Perfection disallows the Runner from running on remote servers until they've run on a central. Which means that it is impossible for them to stop Sundew from triggering. Essentially, this means that in RP, Sundew is a double Pad Campaign with a cheaper trash cost that is guaranteed to at the very least pay itself back.

Gah, that's even more crazy! Yeah, that's awesome and I'm way stoked to try that. And I've been kinda messing around with an RP deck, but Sundew is going to make it even more excellent.

You mentioned Jackson Howard and some of his uses I just wanted to add something I find hilarious and situationally useful. If a runner has some way of getting knowledge of your R&D, through Deep Thought or an Indexing run, and are hitting up the R&D because they know there's an agenda on top, revealing a Jackson Howard and cycling 3 cards back into your deck just before they get to access it usually sparks a funny look on their face as that knowledge they thought they had is no longer there. It's also a good way to cycle in some non-agenda cards in those long running games where all your agendas seem to clump themselves nicely in the bottom of your R&D. And as an HB player, I can't tell you how awesome it is to have some padding from a poor draw of an accelerated beta test.

Heh, yep. I've sacked a couple Jacksons right after an Indexing run and yeah, that's definitely a moment of satisfaction.

The game where you won by getting a couple of agenda cards from a run reminds me of two games I have played in the last couple days - in one I flatlined when I used Maker's eye and hit 2 snares and in the other I won after two uses of Maker's eye in a couple of turns netting me 4 agenda cards. After hearing this episode I think I will try out the other runner decks. Been sticking with Shaper just cause it was the one I started with on OCTGN. 

I'm so used to R&D being kind of minefield as Jinteki that I find it weird playing the other factions who actually have to protect R&D seriously during the early. With Jinteki, at least early on, it protects itself! I was playing against a Wizzard on Octgn the other day and he went in to R&D on his last click with a 3 token Medium and 4 cards in hand.. Access 3 cards, top is a Snare! and #2 is a Fetal AI. Flatlined, gg. It's quite nice when that happens ;)

I played my first game of Netrunner about two weeks ago now, and was completely lost. There are just so many procedures, unique rules, and arcane terminology to juggle in your brain. To be honest, after hearing about how good the game was for so long, I couldn't help but be a little disappointed at first, due to a couple of slightly wacky matches with my (also beginner) flatmate, in which the balance seemed to be off, or our fates had seemingly been decided by the shuffle of the deck, rather than the strategy of the player. Not to mention the endless redoing of turns and pauses to look up rules as we struggled to remember what each modifying element was doing to the game at any given time.

Anyway, after a bit of pestering from a friend, we stuck with it and have since learnt how to play properly (I think, I'm not 100% sure we're playing perfectly rule-abiding games yet), and I'm now really, really enjoying it. Like you guys were saying, win or lose, it's just a really fun mental activity.

After further needling from my aforementioned friend, my mind is thoroughly agape at the potential deckbuilding brings to the game. Just thinking about constructing a deck feels a bit like trying to learn Chinese there's so much completely foreign data to absorb. Now I find myself longingly looking at amazon before bed most nights, and cursing myself for not starting to play earlier; buying cards to "catch up" is quite daunting in terms of both money and learning! My head will probably explode from all the new knowledge before I manage to get them all anyway. 

Aaand anyway, all of that was a preamble just to say that I'm really enjoying the podcast too! Mainly because I understand at least 50% more of what you guys are talking about. Thanks very much, looking forward to hearing more!

Hey Nels, do you want to pop my OCTGN cherry?

As long as you don't call it that, sure! ;) Just hit up the terminal7 {at} idlethumbs {dawt} net address and we can figure out a time. Heh, it'll be rough, but hopefully fun!

I played my first game of Netrunner about two weeks ago now, and was completely lost. There are just so many procedures, unique rules, and arcane terminology to juggle in your brain. To be honest, after hearing about how good the game was for so long, I couldn't help but be a little disappointed at first, due to a couple of slightly wacky matches with my (also beginner) flatmate, in which the balance seemed to be off, or our fates had seemingly been decided by the shuffle of the deck, rather than the strategy of the player. Not to mention the endless redoing of turns and pauses to look up rules as we struggled to remember what each modifying element was doing to the game at any given time.

Anyway, after a bit of pestering from a friend, we stuck with it and have since learnt how to play properly (I think, I'm not 100% sure we're playing perfectly rule-abiding games yet), and I'm now really, really enjoying it. Like you guys were saying, win or lose, it's just a really fun mental activity.

After further needling from my aforementioned friend, my mind is thoroughly agape at the potential deckbuilding brings to the game. Just thinking about constructing a deck feels a bit like trying to learn Chinese there's so much completely foreign data to absorb. Now I find myself longingly looking at amazon before bed most nights, and cursing myself for not starting to play earlier; buying cards to "catch up" is quite daunting in terms of both money and learning! My head will probably explode from all the new knowledge before I manage to get them all anyway. 

Aaand anyway, all of that was a preamble just to say that I'm really enjoying the podcast too! Mainly because I understand at least 50% more of what you guys are talking about. Thanks very much, looking forward to hearing more!

Yeah, a friend got me the core set for Xmas last year and we played a few games, but I didn't really get into it until maybe 4 or 5 months later. Early on, I thought it was kinda rough and confusing too. There's a lot of depth to the play (which is good!) but it's not the gentlest curve at first. (still way better than Dota though!)

Glad you got over that initial hump though! Best thing to do is just keep playing and play with different people if at all possible.

I actually had my first OCTGN game tonight. It was fairly painless! I made a couple mistakes, but ended up winning in a very tense game with my Andromeda against Jinteki, in which 3 Archers got rezzed and broken (twice behind an unbroken Chum with Femme Fatale! 16 Credits!), I got to the end of my deck and pulled the winning agenda off R&D on a hail mary run.

But we should play sometime!

I actually had my first OCTGN game tonight. It was fairly painless! I made a couple mistakes, but ended up winning in a very tense game with my Andromeda against Jinteki, in which 3 Archers got rezzed and broken (twice behind an unbroken Chum with Femme Fatale! 16 Credits!), I got to the end of my deck and pulled the winning agenda off R&D on a hail mary run.

But we should play sometime!

Oh whoa, nuts! And yeah, definitely. Just hit me up anytime. I'm Nelsormensch on Octgn or you can just email me.