Sign in to follow this  
Dewar

Final Fantasy 14

I realize that MMOs aren't particularly popular around here, but I ended up picking this up to play with my wife and I've been surprised at how different it is. I'd sworn off paying a monthly fee but this has been worth it for me.

In particular, the crafting in FF14 has some really unique ideas. Almost every piece of equipment in the game can be crafted, and the use of proper materials and techniques allows players to craft high quality items that are better than anything in the game besides dungeon loot. There's real gameplay in the crafting system as well, not just clicking a button and waiting for a result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJEEYpV8GaM

Anyway, is anyone else playing? I'm playing Dewar Scrabulous on server Famfrit. Come join me and my two friends....

3friends_zps1cd57945.jpg

I liked the crafting system - it did seem pretty grindy, and the 'skill cap' is very low because it's not difficult to optimise, but it does seem like the best-integrated crafting system I've seen outside of A Tale in the Desert (I particularly like the touch of having 'crafting stats' so the equipment system was also relevant for crafting, and it allows them down the line to introduce something like crafting dungeons. However, I was getting a very same-old-same-old feeling from the world and the combat system. (I have to stand still to cast?) The Secret World has a more interesting story, and Guild Wars 2 has more interesting gameplay, and both don't need me to spend money to play them now that I own them. Down the line, there's WildStar, which seems more progressive but is apparently a bit janky, and Everquest Next, which looks really progressive but will probably be dialled back three months after launch when players start complaining about rewards and progression.

Hmm, the world felt a lot different to me than pretty much any other MMO out there, but then again I haven't seriously played a Final Fantasy game since 10, so maybe that's why it seems unique. I agree about Secret World though, I really need to play more of that, but there aren't a whole lot of my friends playing and that's half the draw for me.

I'm pretty into it. It's certainly a lot more fun than the original incarnation. I played a ton of FFXI when it was new, and it was rad (and in some ways horrible). 

I haven't put a ton of time in yet, because I've been busy. I'll probably jump in deeper when the PS4 version comes out.

If you're on Excalibur, I'm Vichyssoise Glacee. :)