Sign in to follow this  
Rxanadu

Preparing for game programmer job interview

Hello, everyone: 

I'm preparing for a mock interview for a game programmer job I've been looking into, and I need some basic advice on how to prepare for it.  I have a list of questions I want to ask:

• What should I wear to the interview?  Is there a generally accepted dress code for game programmers to wear to interviews?
  • What type of programming questions do interviewers ask during the interview?
  • I work with Unity3D and C# when making games; I have little to no experience in C++ in the realm of game programming.  How do I use my Unity3D experience to my advantage if the interviewer asks specific programming questions?  
  • Should I even apply for a game programming job based on the aforementioned programming experience?

These are the primary questions I need answered before the interview, but I'll update the list if anything comes to mind.

Thanks in advance for reading this.

What  developer are you applying with? Maybe just be safe and go in something that's "nice enough". Maybe not James Bond, but something you might not necessarily be embarrassed to wear to a wedding.

Programming style, languages known, "if you need to do X..."

Depends entirely, again, on the developer. Maybe they like managed languages, and they write in C sharp or LUA. Maybe they write partially in that and partially in C++. Maybe you're applying to Id and John Carmack will stare into your soul until you can write pure C++ without a single bug ever and every loop has to repeat in a trillionth of a nanosecond on a Ti-86.

So, for your last question, depends entirely on the developer and position you are applying for. Edit- Like Clyde said, is making games your dream job If so it's not going to hurt. If not then why waste your time not applying for your dream job?

In response to your last question:

If you want to program games then you should go to the interview. They'll decide if you have what they need, that's what the interview is for.

If you don't want to program games, I suggest skipping it.