Sign in to follow this  
Justin Leego

King Arthur's Gold Game

I reckon a number of Thumbs will be interested in this, especially as it's a butt cheap $1.00 (or more, or less) on Indie Game Stand for another 3.75 days:

King Arthur's Gold is 16 vs 16 fort building and destroying multiplayer for Mac, Windows and Linux. It's the new one from Michal Marcinkowski, the guy behind Soldat*. Mark this: medieval grenades rolling down medieval ramparts.

top_action_scene.gif

King Arthur's Gold - affectionately known as KAG - is a unique build 'n' kill game. Think the creative aspects of Minecraft, plus the fortress-building mechanic of Dwarf Fortress, plus the strategy of Age of Empires 2, plus the fast-paced class-based craziness of Team Fortress 2... with all the unnecessary elements trimmed off, wrapped up in some cross-platform goodness and sprinkled with tasty, tasty pixels.

The current Indie Game Stand 4-day deal is a Pay What You Want (>$0.99 for Steam / GOG / Desura keys when available). It's usually $12.99 for early access, which will rise to $25 when it's done.

JOIN US! ...please?

If you don't know (and you really should find out, because it was 'mad crazy'), Soldat is a 2D combination of Counter-Strike and Liero. Liero is like a real-time Worms, with the same fondness for crazy weapons. Go!

Yeah I used to play this a lot about a year ago but found it one of those guys I just end up yelling at... not sure if that is due to game mechanics or user error. Curious to see what it's like now as the game was constantly changing week by week in the early days.

There is a lot of fun to be had though and well worth the original price.

edit: I wouldn't compare the build mechanic to dwarf fortress in any way, I'm not sure where that comparison comes from. It's more akin to Dungeon Keeper.

Features

32 players realtime multiplayer
Retro pixel graphics
2 teams
3 classes: builder, knight and archer
Drivable catapults and battleships
Bison taming
Collapsible physics based on construction support
Medieval sword duels
Shark riding
Building castles and traps
Technology research and trading
Dynamic 2D water and fire
Wilhelm's scream
Completely moddable via scripting
Available on 3 platforms (Win,OSX,Linux)
Full access to game's scripts and modding

I'm interested, but the Indie Game Stand only lists Desura as a place to redeem the code. Are Steam codes coming soon? How much of a hassle is Desura?

Not much. It can be clunky but then they had a tiny team, so the client isn't nearly as slick as Steam's. That may change as Desura is now owned by Linden Lab.

You can always add the game to your Steam library as a non-Steam game, until KAG gets onto Steam and / or GOG that is, or just download and run it without either client.

e: they have an agreement with Steam already, as soon as the beta is stable then it's going on (presumably via Early Access, and which would explain why they're not doing Greenlight)

I went ahead and bit. I'll see if I can get my friends from my other forum top hop on board.

I've almost bought this game three times already since it showed up on IndieGameStand - each time the smart part of my brain kicks in and tells me I don't need another video game, especially not another endless multiplayer one that I can never finish. I might cave at some point in the future though. I see Dewar has already bought the game, which means there's no point in my vouching for Desura, which I find to be better than Steam in a number of ways, and at the very least it's a great program that's no hassle at all when it comes to redeeming codes for indie games.

No naysayers! :) Glad to see others taking up on the Indiegamestand campaign. I would love to try it out with people here on the forum. Seems to be really really cool.

I feel bad but in all honesty it did not come up in my search results. Happy to migrate over to the older and wiser thread of original knight / builder / archer fun. Hope to get stuck into KAG tonight.

Oh no, that wasn't the intention of linking it, this is a game discussion and mp is for setting up games. Also turns out I wrote an almost readable description of the game in the early days, will be interesting to get back into it this weekend and see the changes.

Also, I might be dyslexic, because I wrote the word "insane" instead of "incase"... 

Ah, right, good good! No offense intended or taken (otherwise we would have had to settle things on the KAGglefields)

Having read your reports from the other thread it will be really interesting to see how you react to the alterations. There's that bit in an IndieStatik article which says "This beta version ... sees them throwing away or turning [upside down] every game element they’ve added" so it sounds like there's been a whole load of crazy optimization going on over the last few months.

I played a bit of the single player last night. I don't expect the single player "story" to be that good as this seems to be a multiplayer focused game, but it felt like a very floaty and hard to control Terraria to me. Not giving up on it or anything, just stating my first impression of the controls.