Sign in to follow this  
SecretAsianMan

Software

I couldn't find another thread for this so I decided to start one.

The purpose of this thread is to post cool/interesting/useful software.  Not common things like Office or Skype, but stuff that you think people might not know about.  Doesn't have to be related to video games.  I also include web apps in this category.  Please include the following information if you know it:

Name

Platform(s)

Price

Website or how to get it

Brief description

Tips/tricks

Also if anyone has a better name for this thread I'm all for it.

So I'll get things started with 2.  First is one I've been using for a while.

Ninite

Windows/Linux

Free

I love Ninite.  It's an installer/updater.  You can pick from a pretty big list of free useful software and download an installer.  The installer will automatically install all the software you chose without presenting you with any dialog boxes.  It automatically declines things like search bars or other ad stuff.  And if you run the same installer again, it will update any software that you already have installed to the current version, even if you didn't use Ninite to install it in the first place.  I usually run it once a week.  As much as I love it, there are a few things I don't recommend updating with Ninte.  Steam does a good job of updating itself, as do most of the things in the Security category.  There is a pro version that runs on a subscription model and has more features, but they're not really necessary.

This one I've just started using but I really like it.

Overwolf

Windows (Mac version in the works)

Free

Overwolf is kind of like the Steam overlay, only better.  It has an IM widget that works with Skype, Steam, Teamspeak, Facebook, etc.  There's a built in video recorder and screen capture.  It also has links to things like gmail and youtube, although they basically just open in a browser window.  There's also an appstore with free apps like a Dota and LoL timer, WoW talent calculator, a TF2 crafting advisor, etc.  There aren't a ton of apps at the moment, but hopefully more will be added.

I couldn't find another thread for this so I decided to start one.

Also if anyone has a better name for this thread I'm all for it.

This is pretty similar to that Things That Make your Life Better thread, which started off as "software you might not know about" but strayed from that a bit...

There are a few pieces of software we use at work that are incredibly handy:

1. Search Everything (Free) - Searches all files and folders on your Windows PC lightning fast. Literally as you type into the field the results update in real time. It has been a godsend.

2. Snagit (Techsmith) (Free trial, $50 for full version, Windows or Mac) - Screen capture tool. This tool is able to grab the handles of all of your windows and the elements within so that you can quickly and cleanly take a perfectly clipped screenshot of any window. You can snag by window or by drawing a region and the image editor has a few nifty features too. You can also set up timers and stuff. I use this program extensively when doing our Help documentation. Way fucking better than using Print Screen and Paint.

Do Chrome extensions count? Because I use the following:

• 4chan Plus: adds tons of extra functionality to 4chan, making it much less of a hassle to use.
  • Adblock: self-explanatory.
  • Animal Crossing Music: plays looping Animal Crossing BGMs based on time of day. Best.
  • Checker Plus for Gmail: instant Gmail alerts; also lets you check your inbox without navigating to Gmail itself.
  • Fullscreen Homestar Runner: embiggens Homestar Runner cartoons since the site was made like ten years ago and never modified to work on modern screen resolutions.
  • Herp Derp for Youtube: improves quality of Youtube comments.
  • imgur Extension by Metronomik: I've completely abandoned pretty much all other image hosting methods. Right click to rehost, upload by dragging something straight to your browser, and instantly screencap a page, view, or area.
  • Magic Actions for Youtube: lets you switch to a Youtube dark theme instantly, binds volume to the mouse wheel, centers Youtube videos on the page instead of having to use their awful current layout, lets you automate quality and size settings, and has a custom "cinema mode" that plays the video against a simple customizable background.
  • Media Hint: lets non-Americans use Pandora internet radio.
  • Search By Image (Google): right click to reverse image search. Endlessly useful.
  • Speed Dial 2: replaces the default Chrome homepage with a customizable layout of quick links. It's basically the same thing, but it looks much much nicer.

Oh, and for actual software, I use Rainmeter, which is a free thing that turns your computer into a hilarious movie computer. Basically you can easily find, build, or customize tiny applications that add a GUI element for just about anything. Currently I have one keeping visual track of all my torrents, a nice date/time display since I never look at the taskbar, and a replacement wallpaper since Windows keeps messing with mine.

Breevy - Windows text expander software. Saves me from typing the same things over and over again, now I do it with a few keystrokes.

f.lux - tints your monitors in the evening to help your eyes.

Bins - organizes your task bar

Launchy - Or forget about the start menu and task bar completely with this keystroke launcher.

Do Chrome extensions count? Because I use the following:

• Search By Image (Google): right click to reverse image search. Endlessly useful.

Brilliant, I was trying to find this exact thing the other day, thanks Tegan!

Now what I need is an app that makes YouTube buffer properly...