tabacco

Backendy server changes

Sorry for the minute or two of unplanned downtime there. I've made some large-ish changes to the http stack for the site. It should be totally transparent, but please let me know if you're seeing any weirdness, especially in the forums.

Just fixed an issue that was making the 'Online Users' section of the forum show up weirdly.

Thanks for keeping the wheels turning! Also feel free to go into more technical detail; I'm always interested in hearing behind-the-scenes stuff.

BOIIIII this right HERE is my ****** ******* ****** ENGINE-X! I use this **** to supercharge like a ****** ******, *****!!!!!

attachment.jpg

Heh... we've always run nginx. The change was adding Varnish in front of it to handle caching. There are some rules in vcl_recv to return(pass) for the forums, and a few other things that require user auth or shouldn't be cached. Phase 2 is checking for ip.board's cookies so that it can be cached for logged-out users, but I didn't have time for that yesterday. Phase 3 is ESI, so parts of the homepage can be cached with a different TTL than others.

Heh... we've always run nginx. The change was adding Varnish in front of it to handle caching. There are some rules in vcl_recv to return(pass) for the forums, and a few other things that require user auth or shouldn't be cached. Phase 2 is checking for ip.board's cookies so that it can be cached for logged-out users, but I didn't have time for that yesterday. Phase 3 is ESI, so parts of the homepage can be cached with a different TTL than others.

You know it's perfectly okay to admit that you just tripped over the power cord. No need to come up with these bullshit excuses.

I head Varnish is super-fast and super-easy to set up. Can you confirm these allegations?

More updates, this time to the framework that everything except the forums runs on. Let me know if anything seems to be not working.