Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

A freaky and horrible thing...

This real-life event has been made into a new movie ("Compliance"), which is being called the most disturbing movie ever made. People are walking out of this film in droves, refusing to believe anything like this could actually happen. But it apparently did. And at least 70 times.

Reading this completely bent my mind. I still can't fathom it. I'm not joking when I say it's disturbing. Seriously: Don't read if you're feeling sensitive. You don't need to know this stuff:

http://www.courier-j...EWS01/510090392

WTF.

Ugh.. Couldn't read the whole article. Disturbing and completely unbelievable.

It's disgusting how disturbing people capitulate to authority. This reminds me of the Milgram experiment (http://en.wikipedia....gram_experiment). Real police get away with abuses of power for exactly the same reason, seeing a uniform and a title makes people compliant.

there is a really interesting radiolab episode about this http://www.radiolab.org/2012/jan/09/whos-bad/

they talk to a guy who reckons (quite angrily) that the experiment proves people don't respond to authority, but follow through by choice - which is kind of worse in a way.

I don't think it's always that people just capitulate to authority, they are just not suspicious enough of claims of authority, and the powers that authority actually wields. It just baffles me when it gets to things like spanking or kissing (or worse, as I continue to read the article) the victim that it doesn't trigger a strong enough alarm in the minds of any participants that, hey, SOMETHING MIGHT BE FUCKED UP HERE.

A former landlady of mine is a performance artist. She got a load of ex-police gear (shoes, trousers, gore-tex macs and earpieces), had "INSECURITY" professionally printed on the back of the coats, and went around with a partner, randomly stopping people and searching their bags. Nearly everyone submitted without querying it.

Outside an art museum in Amsterdam, they were only searching ladies handbags, while other people were walking by with large suitcases. One woman asked why they were searching handbags, and the partner, absolutely deadpan, said "We've had some paintings stolen". When the lady made an incredulous gesture at her bag, without missing a beat he responded "Yeah, they're miniatures". They did it for a while outside the American Embassy too. Everyone submitted to have their bag searched, and a few tourists thanked them and said it made them feel a lot safer that someone was doing this.

They even did it outside an arms fair in London, as the dealers were arriving they would simply surrender their briefcases and allow them to rifle through their papers. The police had their hands so full forming a line to hold back protesters that it was down to the line of actual security guards to keep running forward shouting "No! Don't talk to them, they're not real security guards!".

--

There was another experiment, which I can't find with a quick google search, but it went like this: A backpacker gets on trains, alone, and asks someone for their seat, usually in a carriage with plenty of spare seats. As you might expect, the request is almost always refused or at least questioned. The experiment was then repeated many times again, but this time with someone in an authoritative looking uniform also there, sitting within sight of the person being asked to give up their seat. The results of the second set of tests were a dramatic rise in people being willing to give up their seat, without question.

I'll try to find a source for that. I saw a recreation of it in the 90s, when I was pretty submissive in general, and it really changed my attitude toward authority. I didn't exactly develop a problem with it, but resolved to question it at every turn. People are scarily compliant, and we often don't realise it. I think, in some ways, that lack of realisation might stop some people from being more predatory.