toblix

Thomas Was Alone

Anyone else here leap at this because of the sudden torrent of recommendations? I did, and just finished it. My thoughts

1. Boring
  2. Pretty good music
  3. Something about AI

Trying to sound like less of an asshole, some more specific thoughts:

1. From what I could gather, the story didn't inform the gameplay at all. I was waiting for it to, and it made references that made me expect it to, and then it didn't. It really felt like a finished puzzle game with someone trying to cleverly narrate over it after the fact.
  2. The personalities didn't inform the design in any way. I got the feeling you were supposed to associate these different names and personalities with the blocks, but, other than the narration, there was nothing that made me do this.
  3. As a puzzle platformer, it's pretty bad. Not only were the puzzles never challenging – the one mechanic, jumping around on clearly defined geometric shapes, was pretty wonky at times, with jumps not registering, hanging on corners, falling off moving pieces, etc.
  4. Changing between the pieces was a big hassle. I tried both the cycling and direct selection methods, but none of them worked for me, and by the end I was still frustratedly cycling a million times, always in the wrong direction, to select a different block.
  5. I quite liked the music.

Damn, I was slightly interested before, but now I'm not sure I care anymore about this game.

If you're going in for the challenging puzzles, you're going to be disappointed. But I'd suggest you try it anyway because it's very unique: it's not, as some people have said, the "Portal 2 of indie games". Beside the english sounding narrator, it is its own thing and, in my opinion, creates a new set of grammar elements for Video games.(OK, that might be a bit too strong, but I cannot find better wording)

Toblix is right when he says that the gameplay doesn't inform the story; but I think Bithell crafted a different link between the two, and the result is equally interesting and valuable.

As I experienced it, the spoken story establishes catchy and well written archetypes as well as their relationships. The gameplay then proceeds to either confirm, nuance or negate those, sometimes foreshadowing future developments.

For instances:

• after the romance between Chris and Laura started and even after they join the original group again, I semi-subconsciouly made them collaborate way more than what I needed, hence strengthening the written narrative
  • I discovered that I could have Thomas and James move in empty space if I coordinated them well. This happened a bit after the narration that establish James as a socially awkward guy. The gameplay discovery, made me go "Hey, here you go, you're not completely off', which foreshadowed future narrations and actually got the point across better.
  • Sarah was given the grand adventurer treatment, but the way I played her, she failed a lot and used quite a bit the secondary characters. This probably wasn't entirely designed: I was tired at that point and sucked a lot. Still, that gameplay experience nuanced the narration, and made her look like a slightly delusionnal Don Quixote. Better players would probably experience her as a pompous albeit competent character.

All things happened in the gaps left by the written narration; and I believe all of those gaps were left there intentionnaly, which why I think it's quite brilliant.

To me, it's a great example of writing for the medium.

It doesn't hurt that the writing is very good - with little to no fat, and just the right amount of pathos - and that each character's personnalities is also conveyed in its physical attributes. In any case, I really grew attached to all the characters and their distinct personnalities, which is a testament to the craft behind it. This is less true toward the end though: the game looses focus and disappointingly shifts toward

a less appropriate coming-of-age/saving-the-world story of some kind with a traditionnal antagonist

- but it's nearly without fault until part 7.

On a side note, I find the platforming control good, but as Toblix said, shifting between the character is a real bitch, and I hope the creator will revise that to make the game more accessible. Also, no key remapping in-game :tdown:

Otherwise, it's a clear MUST PLAY from me :tup::)

Wow, I've never witnessed such an outpouring of praise for a game. Sounds like everyone is really loving it. Vimes, it seemed to me what you described was what the designer had hoped for. I never really projected any personality onto the things, and that could be why I never really got anything out of it. From what I read, it seems like most people find the character/personality stuff totally amazing and consider it a milestone in video gaming narrative. It's so weird to me, because I don't get that at all, but there might be something wrong with my empathy. Anyway, it seems most people consider the narrative the greatest thing about the game.

t's so weird to me, because I don't get that at all, but there might be something wrong with my empathy.

Well, some forms of storytelling work for some people and not for others. I don't think this necessarily means you're a sociopath. Though it might.

Anyway, maybe the praises are getting out of hand : having thought about it for a while, I'm don't think the game can be considered a milestone - as in 'a game that'd lift the medium as whole'. After all, what it does can only really works for the aesthetic chosen: I don't see the blend of narration/gameplay that facilitates projection would work with a much more detailed aesthetics. And it's not a masterpiece either: there are non-negligible flaws even in the narration.

But as a game which 1) provides an experience unique to the medium 2) pioneers new storytelling forms 3) executes them perfectly in most places, I find it incredibly valuable.

Just got this on Xbox One - three years after this thread.

I can see what Toblix means by slightly wonky platforming. The difficulty does seem to be increasing but I don't want it to. This is a game that I am enjoying picking up on a hangover Sunday and playing through a few levels while some cheerily narrates away over the top.

Totally get what Vimes means about getting Chris and Laura to collaborate more too.

Not the best game but it the bursting optimism is utterly charming.

i love this game, because its the type of game that makes me zone out in a good way. The music, the general ease, the relaxing visuals....it takes me to a happy place where i can chill with my power animal and a martini. No other game has ever relaxed me as much as Thomas was alone. 

Agreed, I finished the game last week and man by the end I was just, really happy.

Oh hey, I finished this game recently too. I think I'll play it again with developer commentary soon. I blitzed through the tutorial world with commentary. Some interesting things in there already!