Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Guitars

When I was little I used to collect robots, but then my brother was born and broke them all. Now I'm starting to think about guitars a bit too much; I can feel the obsession starting to take over, like when I was given my first Robot, or Pokémon, or stamp.

I'm a poor student, I can't afford such an expensive hobby, but I think if I had a purple sparkle J Mascis Signature Jazzmaster I'd probably be happy and wouldn't need any more guitars ever again.

I also really want to to start building my own effects pedals. Does anyone else have any experience of doing this? It seems like something that would be fun to experiment with.

This post is poorly constructed and I'm a little bit sorry about that, I'll try harder next time if you sell me your Purple Sparkle Jazzmaster.

I feel like the purple sparkle jazz master is an attempt to bridge the gap between guitars and adult toys.

My eldest son has your disease. He has spent over £1000 on guitars and related paraphernalia and is always on the lookout for another guitar. He wants to get an effects pedal so if you get anywhere with building your own I'd be interested to know how you get on. You could name your creation a similar vein as the sparkle jazz master.

I feel like the purple sparkle jazz master is an attempt to bridge the gap between guitars and adult toys.

My eldest son has your disease. He has spent over £1000 on guitars and related paraphernalia and is always on the lookout for another guitar. He wants to get an effects pedal so if you get anywhere with building your own I'd be interested to know how you get on. You could name your creation a similar vein as the sparkle jazz master.

Guitars are adult toys already as far as I'm concerned... the purple sparkle finish is just a bonus on an already beautiful toy. In my defense, I don't ever buy makeup, and hardly ever buy clothes (most of mine are hand-me-downs from other people because I hate shopping). Most women allegedly spend almost £1000 a year on makeup and clothes, so in theory I've got that extra cash floating around to spend on Guitars, Robots, Pokémon or Stamps. Also, having things like guitars makes it more fun to sit at home on your own when you have no money to go out because you spent it all on guitars.

A friend of mine has pedal-building knowledge, we've agreed to try and build an 8-bit pedal of some sort. I want in on the building action, so I'll learn all his secrets and report them back to you. I saw there are pedal-building kits online but I'd much rather create something stupid looking that's covered in wires and exposed circuitry and stuffed into a case that doesn't fit, which is probably what I'd get either way, actually.

I will call it SparklePwny 8-bit Fuzz.

Guitars are like mountain bikes. The correct number to own can be expressed as N-1, with N being the number of guitars it would take for your partner to leave you.

So if I'm reading that right, that means now and in the future, I should always buy new guitars. I knew it. I felt it in my bones.

This is like the fifth thread on getting stuff, Yufster.

This is not a bad thing, I want these to get more and more strange with every iteration!

I know, it's dreadful isn't it? I'm so poor. That's why I need the Purple Sparkle Jazzmaster, because once I have that I won't need anything else anymore ever.

I think the reason I want so much stuff is because I've been a student for the past three years and so haven't been able to buy the things I've wanted, therefore accumulating a massive list of WANT.

I think if you just learn to play in that way where you do the windmill with your arm while you strum it then you will have reached the pinnacle of self fulfillment.

Fun fact: When playing live, the modern-day Jay Mascis looks astonishingly similar to a three toed sloth.

I also really want to to start building my own effects pedals. Does anyone else have any experience of doing this? It seems like something that would be fun to experiment with.

Hey wow that sounds great. I got a moogerfooger ring modulator a few months ago. My first pedal in years but it was such a good idea. Check it out. Completely ridiculous. If you're building effects it had better be more insane than this thing or you're wasting your time. Delia Derbyshire all the way!

ED4ugecZm0Q

I only buy analog effects. You should only buy analog effects too, they're much much better.

Check it out. Completely ridiculous.

That thing is delightfully absurd.

And on the subject of Delia Derbyshire, I heard a programme on the construction of the original Doctor Who theme on Radio 4 once and found it weirdly moving. What a brilliant thing to do.