Thyroid

Torchlight II

Cheers Bjorn. I'm not even sure my mod-made character would transfer over, but I reckon I can kill my way to Lv.11 in fairly short order.

Cheers Bjorn. I'm not even sure my mod-made character would transfer over, but I reckon I can kill my way to Lv.11 in fairly short order.

I haven't even glanced at the mods yet, I usually don't look at modding/workshop stuff until I've beaten a game or if there is something driving me nutty about it (like the inventory and map in Don't Starve).  Reading through the Synergies feature list sounds like a significant overhaul, like that's something I'd do for a second playthough, or maybe bring my second character over to it if that is a possible thing. 

We played for a couple of hours last night, really settling into and getting comfortable now.  Then I continued with my SP Outlander (so I don't out-level my wife) for a bit.  Abandoned dual pistols and went Shotgun/Crossbow (short and long range respectively).  Super happy with that, blasting things to bits and watching them explode in poison and spawning bats makes me giggle every time. 

Are there actually people playing this now? I would be rather interested in getting back to it. This game came out pretty close on the heels of Diablo 3 (which I played quite a bit of) and I never got to into it. When are people generally playing / do we need to be friendson some kind of ruinic service or etc?

I'm generally playing literally all of the damn time 'cos I just can't seem to stop. You have to have a runic games account linked to your steam account, if you're using Steam (I think T2 only came out on Steam?) and I figure if we're all playing on Steam it'll be easy to get a game together. Haven't tested it yet though...

We're just playing on a LAN right now, but it's not like setting up an account is hard.  We'll probably be on in the evenings, US time, two or three times a week.

I installed the Synergies mod last night, and tried it briefly with a new character (the Necromancer class).  We might copy our vanilla characters over, as that seems like it works fine, you just can't safely copy Synergies characters back to a vanilla game without possibly breaking something. 

My biggest complaint so far for 2 player co-op is that there just aren't enough enemies, particularly in the overworld areas.  I actually tried, and then removed, two automatic multi-target abilities, as I was wiping out spawns before my wife could even open fire.  I'm not necessarily interested in all the Synergies changes, but it seems like it's the best balanced mod for having more and harder enemies without breaking anything.  I found a standalone mod for it, but it can increase the spawn rate by up to 5x, which seems excessive.  I'll probably leave my Outlander on vanilla, as the mob count feels pretty appropriate for playing alone.

I wonder if there is a way in crafting for these types of games to find a balance between RNG crafting and pure player choice/design. I spent most of an hour last night screwing around trying to craft or buy a complete Blood Leather set (the perfect set for a Berserker at my level).  It was just a time/gold sink to get it done.  But I don't that it would have been very fulfilling to just be able to make it because I wanted it.  That was a problem with Kingdoms of Amalur.  I was able to craft a set I loved by halfway through the game, and never needed to consider another piece of armor in the game, which was ultimately a lame experience.

So I was under the impression that Synergies overall makes the game harder, but maybe the new classes in it are just really broken.  We decided to start over to try the mod out, I took the Necromancer and she took the Warlock.  On Veteran, it was like easy mode.  One death between both of us by the time we reached the first Guardian, and that was an early death.  The last hour we played  was a yawn fest, just mowing down the hordes without even having to exert any effort.  The Necromancer certain feels broken though.  The sheer number of summons available, and comparatively low casting cost, is such that aggro might as well not exist.  Or maybe we just need to bump difficulty up to Elite.

just mowing down the hordes without even having to exert any effort 

Sounds like my idea of a good time :P

You're right though, I've died once with my Necromancer and I'm up to the third area of the game. Spawn loads of minions and spam Skull Barrage, and most encounters are over in a few seconds.

I'm only playing on Normal difficulty, but then I've not played many ARPGs before so this seemed about right. I don't think I'd enjoy the game more if I had to think about the best way to approach every encounter with elite or named enemies though, as there are just so many of them. There are probably two types of people attracted to games like this - ones that want their dexterity, planning and adaptability challenged...and then people like me who want to watch all the bad mens go SPLAT, hur hur 

There are probably two types of people attracted to games like this - ones that want their dexterity, planning and adaptability challenged...and then people like me who want to watch all the bad mens go SPLAT, hur hur 

Three types, some of us just want pure chaos!  I actually don't like planning an encounter, but running into a group, accidentally aggroing some other stuff, start screaming "fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck", run away like my hair is on fire (sometimes literally), regroup, and then somehow escape alive with some shiny new loot.  That's the sweet spot for an ARPG for me.  My berserker gives that experience through just charging in like a bowling ball hitting pins, while the Outlander is more like the last soldier holding the line, trying to keep the horde from getting to her, and when the wave breaks all hell comes with it.

I think it may be the Necro specifically that makes it easier, with all those minions.  I briefly brought my Berserker over to a Synergies game, and got murdered within a few minutes of running into an area.  To be fair, I think the Necro is awesome, I love having an army at my back.  Ultimately it just doesn't give that chaotic experience that I want.

I think I found my new favorite thing ever in an ARPG.  There are a bunch of gems, weapons and gear which give a small (5% or less typically) chance to autocast a spell per attack.  You stack as many of those as you can on one character that has a fast, multi-target ability, resulting in autocasts on a regular basis.  I made a new Outlander to play with in SP, since I tend to want to game more than my wife and didn't want my Berserker to out level her.  I had a couple of five percent Thunder gems from my first character that I threw into a shotgun to try.  HOLY SHIT!  Rapid Fire plus a passive skill that makes enemies explode in a poison burst results in these insane chain reactions that wipe out whole groups.  If something mean sneezes in my direction, I die, because I have almost no defensive capabilities.