toblix

Hard Reset

Holy cyberbrain, this totally sweet-looking cybergame is coming out soon. It has guns, robots, computer terminals with awesome overwrought UIs, weapon and armor upgrades, trash-ridden future streets with explosive barrels and neon ads, and godawful acronyms.

I don't know if it's going to be out on Steam, or when it will be out at all, but it definitely looks like a potential cybergame.

Also, this post.

That looks pretty good, but seems kind of simplistic (I guess like Painkiller). Looks like there are so many conveniently placed machines everywhere that it would be hard to just shoot and not make something explode or cause electrical malfunction.

That UI looks awful to me. It's a pointless barrier between me and the game. When someone launches a game they want to play that game. Putting in animations slows down moving from one menu screen to the next and as a result slows me down in getting to play game.

I find this stuff frustrating as hell. It's like when I'm watching a DVD with animated menus - I put the bloody thing on to watch the show/movie STOP STOPPING ME FROM DOING THAT!

Yea, you'd have to sit through a grand total of one or possibly two such animations when starting a new game and probably none to one when you continue. I agree that constantly changing the settings could be a bit painful, though. Good reason to complain; crappy reason not to play the game.

Anyway, I've been completely unaware of this game until now. Looks unexpectedly awesome! Not sure how I feel about the actual gameplay yet, but the terminal UI alone is making me want to play this game so bad.

Here's hoping that there will be two great cyberpunk games released this year. :tup:

Yes, it seems very simplistic, so it's probably not competing with Deus Ex (or E.Y.E, I guess), but as an honest-to-god first person shooter, it looks pretty god damn slick, and with a good eye for detail and visual polish. I'm excited to hear more about it, like for example when it's coming out.

Nice review at RockPaperShotgun. Seems like there are some cool things in this game but a couple of annoying frustrations.

Thing is, with it being such a supposedly PC-centric title, I would think an automatic-save mod couldn't be too far away? Seems like it would fix the main issue cited in the review.

I certainly hope so. I pre-ordered it (I almost never do that) and have been getting really excited, but that RPS review made me sad. I really want this game to be sweet, and if all it needs to do that is a quick-save button, I hope it can be added.

You could also just be awesome at video games and never encounter that issue at all!!!

I'm sure there'll be a patch or something. The description of the graphics sounded pretty cool as well... the review was harsh but I think it was fair. I'd consider the game.

That UI looks awful to me. It's a pointless barrier between me and the game. When someone launches a game they want to play that game. Putting in animations slows down moving from one menu screen to the next and as a result slows me down in getting to play game.

I find this stuff frustrating as hell. It's like when I'm watching a DVD with animated menus - I put the bloody thing on to watch the show/movie STOP STOPPING ME FROM DOING THAT!

There's a button in the lower right corner of the main menu for "fast menu". I find the menu animations awesome in how unnecessary but also kind of cool they are, but if you don't want them it looks like you can bypass them.

I just played through the first level and thought it was pretty fun. Foremost in my mind was "Goddamn this is a gorgeous game" but the shooting was also pretty good. I only had a chance to upgrade one gun once (bought the mortar attachment for the electrical/plasma one) so I get the feeling that the gunplay will become much more of a draw as I unlock more stuff. I actually kind of wish there were an abilitease to show me all the cool shit I'll get later, as right now I only have the vague idea of "these guns will become awesome later" with nothing concrete to keep guiding me along. I'll keep at it, but I wish I had an idea of what I was getting into. Still, from the first level, I'm optimistic. Hopefully there will be a "quicksave added" kind of thing soon though, as I died on the first level already and am not looking forward to the difficulty spikes that the RPS review promised.