Gwardinen

Game Modes in Other Languages

Slightly odd question, but does anyone know where I can get information on the exact names of game modes in languages other than English? I'm currently trying to find out what the names of various multiplayer modes are in Call of Duty games in German, but frankly German Wikipedia is even less complete and accurate than English Wikipedia so I'm having a tough time of it.

Automatic or word-for-word translation is a waste of time guaranteed to produce inaccuracies — no good if for anything remotely serious. Best off just getting it from the horse's mouth. Not that I'm implying all German speakers are horses. :fart:

Ask a German, they'll do anything in return for gifting them an uncensored steam game in my experience.

Slightly odd question, but does anyone know where I can get information on the exact names of game modes in languages other than English? I'm currently trying to find out what the names of various multiplayer modes are in Call of Duty games in German, but frankly German Wikipedia is even less complete and accurate than English Wikipedia so I'm having a tough time of it.

HQ- Hauptquartier

Search & Destroy - Suchen & Zerstören

Domination- Herrschaft (translates to rule)

HQ- Hauptquartier

Search & Destroy - Suchen & Zerstören

Domination- Herrschaft (translates to rule)

Out of interest, is this simply your german skills or did you find this information from a different source?

Out of interest, is this simply your german skills or did you find this information from a different source?

German CoD sites.

I managed to find most of them in the end. It didn't help that earlier CoD games just had English names for modes and later ones gradually actually translated them, or that it appears certain stuff is just still never translated - for example "Capture the Flag" and "Team Deathmatch".

By the by, I speak German (indeed, there are some who would say I am German), translation or language itself are not the issues - but literal translation of words does not necessarily net an actual result when you're talking about arbitrarily selected terms within a product designed and localised by many different people. For example, Zombie mode is, as of Black Ops, called Überlebenskampf - basically "fight for survival" - which makes perfect sense but is not by any means a translation of "Zombies".