Sign in to follow this  
vimes

Extra Credit is great

I just discovered this really smart-but-not-too-pretentious series from The Escapist and I think it's worth sharing ... despite the high pitched voice over.

It's not always ground breaking, but it's thought provoking, offering articulated and sophisticated (but not complicated) point of views on rarely discussed topics.

Also, it doesn't hurt that they often defends thesis on storytelling and gameplay, rarely voiced and very similar to what I've tried to champion in the past 4 years.:oldman:

I've yet to catch up on most episodes, but I'd recommend :

Storytelling with which I whole-hearty agree.

How to play like a Designer, which features interesting analysis methods.

Amnesia and Story Structure, with a very nice set of examples in the second part.

They always come across as very "My first pretentious game developer wannabee"

It's fine, it's just nothing new. All of their observations have been made at least five years ago. This is a good 'Game Design 101' though for people who aren't already aware of this stuff.

I agree it feels like Design 101 most of the times, but since there are quite a few big budget games that seem to be ignoring or failing at these points; to me, it still feels important. Plus, I think it's cool to have so ideas out there without being completely dumbed down or mystified (not sure it's the proper adjective).

I frequently find myself wanting to explore The Escapist beyond Zero Punctuation, but the gosh-darn ads they put everywhere really stick in my craw.

I completely understand the need to make money, but the number of interstitials and "watch this ad before your video" and ad frames around everything... it's getting ridiculous. I keep expecting some bloke to come to my front door saying "Hi, I'm from the Escapist and I've been sent here today with a monologue about our advertisers."

(I may be oversensitive in part because my ad blocker doesn't seem to stop them.)