Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Ed Fries is a god

I would like to proclaim that Ed Fries of Xbox fame is jesus. I saw his keynote this morning on the Nordic Game conference. After a short introduction about his remarkable gaming history (you might be surprised) he spent fifteen wonderful minutes talking about the chronology of antiquity era Greek vases, and followed up with a discussion about evolutionary biology and the Cambrian explosion.

This all tied into a point about selfimposed constraint in gaming being what we need, but not before explaining in exhausting detail how he programmed an Atari 2600 game about Halo and showed us origami dragons.

:fries:

Edited by Rodi

Ed Fries has quite a history, very cool dude.

I remember trying out his Halo 2600 game when that was circulating around the gaming blogs, it was pretty awesome.

Damnit, I could have gotten a press pass, but I was flat out broke, and couldn't afford the train. 3:

Sucked to see Notch, Adam Boyes and Jordan Mechner tweeting about it this week. >__< Next year!

Ed Fries is the guy who got Psychonauts to Microsoft, so hooray Ed Fries. (Incidentally, pronounced like "freeze", not as in fried potatoes.)

Ed Fries is the guy who got Psychonauts to Microsoft, so hooray Ed Fries.

Eh? What role did Microsoft have in Psychonauts?

I mean, as i had always understood it, Ed Fries did build up a lot of the relationships that allowed the first X-box to be successful in the marketplace. (Including acquiring Bungie and the rights to Halo.)

But what involvement was there with Psychonauts?

Microsoft was the first publisher of Psychonauts?

Got the project the funding it needed to be made in to a real game?

Huh, ok, I didn't know that. Well i've learned something new.