Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Torrent problem

Yep, another tech question.

I am having trouble torrenting LEGAL FILES with Chrome and Bit Torrent.

I've started getting the message "Unable to download "[filename]": invalid torrent file!" whenever I try. The only solution anyone gives on the internet is to clear your browser cache - I did that the first time and it worked. The second time, I had to restart the browser after doing it for it to work. Now it's not fixing it. I also tried opening it in IE, and direct from the folder, but get the same response. Anyone got any ideas on whether there may be something that is immediately refilling the cache, or if there may be another cause to this?

When I open the help file, the window is entitled "µTorrent User Manual", so I guess it's µTorrent/uTorrent...

I think I had this problem. Have you tried going to the torrent client, 'add torrent' and browsing to the torrent file?

edit: oh it seems you did try that. My bad.

No, actually I tried opening it from Windows Explorer. But I just tried what you said, and strangely the client can't see it when I browse to the correct folder. It can see all the other ones, but not that one. (The ones it can see are files I had trouble with previously until the cache clearing solved them.)

EDIT: does this suggest that the browser is saving them incorrectly? It still says it's a torrent file in Windows Explorer...

This isn't one of those things where you have file extensions hidden in Explorer, and the file is really called hentaimegapack.torrent.html or something, is it?

You saying that made me go and experiment. I seem to be able to open other torrents now and yet still not that file and at least one other. Perhaps it's a dodgy uploader and it was just coincidence that my cache caused problems at the same time, but hundreds of people are seeding/leeching those files I can't get at...

I get the feeling I haven't seen the end of this problem, but I'll leave it for now unless anyone thinks they know exactly what has happened...

Thanks for the help, everyone!

So, this happened again. I torrented one file, then tried another and it threw up the same problem, and so did another one. I closed my client (and perhaps my broswer), waited for a while and then tried again and it worked. So I'm wondering if the client gets overloaded or something. Weird.

EDIT: also, it seems to take much longer than it should, once I get it working again (perhaps I'm imagining this, though, or it's coincidence). Maybe I should uninstall then reinstall the client...

Edited by bbX1138