Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Hard disk fail

I posted about this on the new computer thread. But I thought I'd start a new one. When I put my old hard drive into my new system (into a SATA3 port), the machine became really slow after windows installed drivers for it and restarted. It was waiting after the disk all the time. But once Windows finally rebooted, it showed me the FAT/NTFS partitions, but got CRC and other errors when accessing them.

Under linux, I finally saw what the errors with my hard drive were. READ DMA command was failing apparently. And also SMART doesn't work any more (SMART Capability: None reported during boot).

Is that likely an electronics failure? Do I dare swap the electronics? I should have an identical disk that doesn't have any important data.

[edit] Linux can also see the partitions, but not exactly correctly. Two of four partitions are reported as free space. Maybe it's just bad sectors?

Edited by Erkki

S.M.A.R.T. cannot be trusted. It doesn't always report errors when the drive is failing. When it does report errors that the drive usually is failing.

Getting DMA interrupt errors reported by Linux is usually a good sign the drive is starting to fail, or is already failing. Specially dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } is good indicator the drive is bust and you should make haste extracting data from it.

Don't waste time recovering data using Windows. It will only make things worse. Linux does a much better job at recovering data. You might want to try a special Linux distribution for system recovery: http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

I tried some utilities from Ultimate Boot CD, but it indicated a hardware failure according to my friend.

It will cost 350€ to recover data (if it goes well). I think I'm going to swallow it as the cost of not making backups for 10 years. And I'm going to start making backups. Code to github private account maybe, documents to DropBox or something like that. And maybe I'll build a new Linux storage server like Toblix did, the previous one I had even had a RAID but it failed after I did a distro upgrade.

I tried some utilities from Ultimate Boot CD, but it indicated a hardware failure according to my friend.

It will cost 350€ to recover data (if it goes well). I think I'm going to swallow it as the cost of not making backups for 10 years. And I'm going to start making backups. Code to github private account maybe, documents to DropBox or something like that. And maybe I'll build a new Linux storage server like Toblix did, the previous one I had even had a RAID but it failed after I did a distro upgrade.

You tried plugging it back into a SATA 1.5Gb/s port? (What do you mean, "SATA 3", btw? SATA rev 3? Or SATA 3Gb/s?)

You tried plugging it back into a SATA 1.5Gb/s port? (What do you mean, "SATA 3", btw? SATA rev 3? Or SATA 3Gb/s?)
Yeah, I tried pluggin back to the old PC, which has sata 1.5Gb/s I think. By SATA 3 I mean SATA rev 3.

I've had a few hard disk failures before, where usually some software recovery was possible, using programs on boot cd's. But it really seems like this time there isn't. Every read to the disk is so slow that I can't even imagine how long it would take to fix something there. And it'll probably do more harm.

I know it doesn't help now, but if you're in the market, I've just bought a portable RAID enclosure, and it's very good (despite the ludicrous name). Not the cheapest, but tiny and fast! Around 200 gbp for mirrored 7200rpm 500 gb disks.

Sorry to hear about this man. All I have to add is that I use Dropbox for document backup and I highly recommend it. Best of luck.

There are so many tech help thread already, so I'll just ask here.

When trying to run the Dragon Age II demo, I get maybe 5 minutes into it, before my puter just shuts down. No errors or anything, it's like someone cut the power.

This has also happened before, when trying Lead & Gold, but only after recently upgrading to Win7. Less intensive games like TF2 and Magicka are fine so far, and I'm downloading the original DA to try it.

I'm running an Asus P5Q mobo with an Intel Core 2 Duo 3ghz processor. 2Gb DDR2 800mhz ram, and a Radeon HD 4850, 512Mb. Let me know if you need more details.

There are so many tech help thread already, so I'll just ask here.

When trying to run the Dragon Age II demo, I get maybe 5 minutes into it, before my puter just shuts down. No errors or anything, it's like someone cut the power.

This has also happened before, when trying Lead & Gold, but only after recently upgrading to Win7. Less intensive games like TF2 and Magicka are fine so far, and I'm downloading the original DA to try it.

I'm running an Asus P5Q mobo with an Intel Core 2 Duo 3ghz processor. 2Gb DDR2 800mhz ram, and a Radeon HD 4850, 512Mb. Let me know if you need more details.

Sounds like your computer is overheating. Does it shutdown or restart?

That was my uneducated guess too. It just shuts down, no reboot.

Well, even though it's shutting down, it could still be overheating. Playing graphically intensive games like that will make your machine hotter. If it's only doing this while you're playing them (and never any other time -- ie. when sitting mostly idle) you can be fairly certain that's what it is.

Open up your case and give it a good clean by remove excess dust (don't vacuum it!). Compressed air is the usual method, but you can just move your case outside and give it a good blow, to try and move the bigger chunks of dust.

RAM, CPU, case fans and your graphics card are especially important.

You can try and monitor the temp of your computer with CPU-Z or Core Temp, but I'd just try leaving the side of your case off for a while and seeing if that helps when you play.

Thanks for the tips, it HAS been a while since I cleaned this thing.

It's sitting right in front of a window, and it's under -10C right now, so it shouldn't be a big problem to force it cooler. <.<

Thanks for the tips, it HAS been a while since I cleaned this thing.

It's sitting right in front of a window, and it's under -10C right now, so it shouldn't be a big problem to force it cooler. <.<

Lol. Just stick it out the window :)

I'd wager more on the PSU giving out than overheating, but that's just me.

You should list all your components, and then someone should make a judgement call as to whether they think 650W is enough jiggawatts.

There's not much more than what I listed above; a Seagate 1TB drive and a D-Link wifi card.

Anyways, doing a rough cleaning and playing with open window got me through the demo, so I think TP might be on the money? Either way I'll buy some compressed air and clean properly.

Anyways, doing a rough cleaning and playing with open window got me through the demo, so I think TP might be on the money? Either way I'll buy some compressed air and clean properly.

Yeah, dust can make a huge difference. In my case some time ago the CPU fan was pretty much filled with dust, causing it to go over 90 degrees Celsius. Cleaning it, it didn't go much over 50.

I would still recommend measuring the temperature with some tool. I haven't used the generic tools recommended by Thunderpeel, if those don't work, Asus should have some tool for your motherboard.

It's hard to tell how much exactly is too hot, but if it goes over 70 even after cleaning, you may want to replace the thermal paste or add more cooling or something.

Open up your case and give it a good clean by remove excess dust (don't vacuum it!).

Wait. Don't vacuum it? I have vacuumed the fans and floor of my machine many times. Did I risk something?

Wait. Don't vacuum it? I have vacuumed the fans and floor of my machine many times. Did I risk something?

Yes, static damage. It's not recommended, but some folks claim to have done it without problems (like yourself).

Just like rummaging around inside the box without wearing an antistatic Strap, there are things you shouldn't do but that usually goes all right, like vacuuming.

Just like rummaging around inside the box without wearing an antistatic Strap, there are things you shouldn't do but that usually goes all right, like vacuuming.

Yeah, I have always vacuumed also. And never used an antistatic strap. I should probably start paying attention to those warnings, considering that my hard drive failed :deranged:

So I got the data back, and the guy who did it said it might have been static electricity that caused the failure. Guess I should start taking things like anti-static straps and no vacuuming seriously.

If you're removing fairly robust components like hard disks, it sould be enough to touch a radiator or similar before removing it; your central heating should be grounded. In the UK, we have 3 pin plugs, 1 of which is connected to earth, so leaving the IEC lead plugged in allows you to touch the case and remain earthed, soaking any charge you have [built up walking on carpet for example] and allowing you to work. I don't know your power arrangements in Estonia though. As for more delicate components (memory, CPU etc.), a static wrist band is advised - but think what you attach it to. I always connect it to my radiator (as laws in the UK require water and heating systems to be grounded), so you will need something similar near your workspace.