Tanukitsune

So I took the plunge and got both a US and JP PSN account

I found out that a couple of games I was looking for on PSP were on sale in the US PSN store, so... I created an American account and Japanese account while I was at it...

WOW! The US PSN store has a ridiculous amount of content compared the European one! And no, I'm not only talking about the usual JPRG, shmup and brawlers I usually gush over... I'm talking in general!

We don't even have the PSOne Spyro games! We don't have the import JPN section! Let's just say my eyes bulged at all the games I was missing out...

And obviously, my head exploded when I started to browse the Japanese store...*gushes over a thousand games you never heard of* :eek:

If you're a European PSN user and you like either JRPGs, shmups, brawlers or any retro-arcade like game do yourself a favor an at least create an account to just browse or if you're too lazy just look at the full list of games you're missing out on!

PS: If you actually plan to buy a game from the US PSN store, you have to be careful with which state you chose! You'll have to pay taxes on most of them!

I chose New York at first and had to pay taxes, I switched it to Arizona and the tax was gone!:tup:

Oh yeah, game publishers hate Europe, that's old news. That's why we often don't get collectors editions, but do get higher prices, worse support, and less releases in general.

I assume you haven't solved the DLC problem you had yet, then?

I know Europe get's the short end of the stick, but this is ridiculous! I always jokingly say that the US gamers get hugs and kisses when they buy a game and Europe gets a kick in the balls, but now I can no longer say it jokingly!

I actually had to get a EU PSN account to download Vagrant Story on my PSP...my address is randomly in Shere, Surrey UK.

Hey its actually pretty nice there! (based on some panoramio pictures)

What confuses me is that Sony has such a stupid and unsecure setup where the easy way around any content restriction is having a different free account and that people also complain that the US gets a certain PSN game first.

I suppose it's good that Sony has such a setup so people don't have to deal with a full secure region lockdown, but at the same time they are selling a console with region free games, so it would be nice if the PSN store matched in terms of availability of content.

On the idea of people unwilling to do what you have done in order to get a game from another region, Tanukitsune, is it mainly because they have to play the games on a separate username meaning trophies and friends lists won't carry over? If you buy a game from the US store set for that region, can you then log on to your normal account on the system and play the same game without problems?

As far as I know switching PS3 user is easy and painless since it stores several, I think you have to "activate" games if you bought something on that account?

I could play my Euro games on the other account, but from what I've heard the moment I try to play a US or Japanese PSN game I'll have to "activate" the other account and I'll only be able to play games on that account until I activate the other account again? I'll find out when I buy a PSone game, I've only bought PSP ones so far...

The reason why it's a royal pain is when you play PSP or PSOne games, which are the only ones that are only available in some regions, as far as I know PSN downloadable games are always worldwide...

The PSP can only store ONE account, so you have to delete your account, input the US or JP user and password and THEN activate the account, it's something that's pretty annoying to do with a d-pad, but it's not too bad, but I can see why people would put it off...

As long as you try to play and beat the "import" games as soon as possible, so you can switch back to your normal account, it shouldn't be that bad...

Of course, since you need access to the internet to login and activate your account, you won't be able to switch account if you're in the middle of the street unless you find a free wi-fi spot?

EDIT: Scratch that, it looks like there will be a US only PSN game this summer! Then I'll find out how burdensome it really is to switch and activate accounts on the PS3, but I'm sure it's easy compared to the PSP!

I'm resurrecting this thread to share something I've discovered that has made the most annoying part of using multiple accounts a thing of the past!

Everybody else just manually deletes the account on the PSP and then logs in with the other and authorizes it, it's long a cumbersome procedure... that can be skipped if you have a PS3!

The secret lies in the PSP Minis! Most people ignore them, but there is one or two good ones, but the most important thing is that they are very small files and that's makes them perfect for switching accounts!

You see, switching accounts on the PS3 is quick and painless, so you can easily switch between your US, Japanese and European account and when you transfer a game from one region to a PSP that has an account from another region (and the other account has been previously activated) the PS3 will do the switch for you!

I've tried it and it works! Now switching account is ridiculously easy compared to the previous process! :clap: