Snooglebum

Crysis 2: Oh Shit.

At first glance the textures in Crysis 2 may look improved, with the appearance of more detail, and a slightly more realistic look. Certainly if you were only to run past them that may be the impression you’re left with.

Great, works for me. I'm happy if I'm "tricked" into thinking something looks good, and I have no interested in doing anything BUT run past when it comes to random boxes.

As much as I am still a major PC gamer, I really hate this side of it.

That RPS article is an absolutely fantastic piece of satire. The way PC fans are so obsessed with the graphics to the point where its accomplishments as an actual game are literally ignored is hilarious. Like Chris said earlier, the same thing happened with Crysis — so much that most people just wrote Crysis off as a graphics orgy with nothing else to offer, which is so far from the truth it makes me despair.

While the article is obviously too critical, there is no excuse for the VSM numbers we're seeing on the PC. It's a big shame too – if they really cared about anything but making huge piles of money, they'd spend some time tuning the PC VSM to at least what they managed in Crysis. As it is now, it's pathetic.

Edited by toblix

At first glance the textures in Crysis 2 may look improved, with the appearance of more detail, and a slightly more realistic look. Certainly if you were only to run past them that may be the impression you’re left with.

Haha!

Sadly I guess everything else in that article didn't go far enough to make sure people get that it was a joke. Sure, it was very ridiculous, but it has been EXTREMELY ridiculous for it to be funny. "OpenMP" and "VSM" and "BSR" and "occlusion" are not funny.

Aside from the shit-storm surrounding it, quite enjoying Crysis 2, both single and multi.

Aside from the shit-storm surrounding it, quite enjoying Crysis 2, both single and multi.

this seems to be the case with most people who actually play the damn thing

If anyone's played far enough in, I'd like to have a some thoughts on the level design of this game. Since it does take place in a completely messed up New York City, and not in an expansive countryside, there was bound to be a change of level/encounter design. What do you think of the route they have taken with this game, especially with the tactical planning mode that points out "tactical options" among other things...

So almost every review is saying Crysis 2 is a better game, but hardcore PC gamers are butthurt because they feel the game was dumbed down because it didn't take advantage of all the new 500 dollar graphics cards? Time to get over it people.

If anyone's played far enough in, I'd like to have a some thoughts on the level design of this game. Since it does take place in a completely messed up New York City, and not in an expansive countryside, there was bound to be a change of level/encounter design. What do you think of the route they have taken with this game, especially with the tactical planning mode that points out "tactical options" among other things...

I haven't finished singe-player so my thoughts my not be as well rounded as say, Purple, who has played it twice now. But!

I like it. To start with, the tactical visor mode is only there if you want it. The voice in your head says "Recommend Tactical Assessment" and you can do it or not. It only ever takes control of you for two visor functions, right at the beginning. It doesn't bother me, because I don't use it.

Someone (the RPS review, maybe?) described the areas as "arenas" which I think fits perfectly. You come into an area from the side, or above, or what have you, and it gives you time to cloak up, look about with the visor if you want, and plan what to do. Part of the reason I'm not through the game yet is that, at almost every stage, I've tried at least three different methods of getting through. I start with the outlandish, i.e. Rip a heavy machine gun from its tripod and walk in guns blazing, armor mode on. And then move on to more tactical, sensible approaches to a situation.

I've never once felt that I absolutely needed to fight a battle in any of these areas (in fact, there's a significant portion of a level (it might be the entire level) that you can't fight and have to stealth through.) But whenever I want to fight, I can do what I want. I have never once been restricted to a specific approach, and the number of times that Stupid Idea #10293 worked is hilariously large.

Is it as open and stupidly diverse as Crysis 1? No. But considering that I found Crysis 1 to be a steaming pile of horrible when it came to actually shooting men, that's fine with me. The exploration of Crysis 1 was fantastic (I spent a good half hour climbing a cliff face for a better view of 3 Korean soldiers) but the shooting made it much more enjoyable to simply slip past everyone like a bat in the night.

Oh, and the multiplayer? Pretty damn fun, to Batman another player from a roof.

I'd recommend it.

I can see myself trying to play through Crysis 2 like Metal Gear Solid, in that I attempt to avoid pissing enemies off whenever possible and instead take them out silently. This is something I was able to do in Crysis 1 and I really enjoyed it, as this self-imposed disciplined way of playing the game made it last a lot longer and it felt a lot more satisfying. Playing it on a high difficulty made it pretty much lethal to get caught in any kind of firefight anyway.

Is it possible to play Crysis 2 in this way? Additionally, is there any kind of incentive for doing so? MGS does a great of dotting fun little collectables around every area so you're encouraged to explore every nook and cranny — and consequently having to spend a lot longer taking enemies out so you can get to those areas.

yeah it does if you want to go that route. there's only a handful of areas where the enemies respawn endlessly. for the most part, if you don't sound any alarms, you can wipe out every enemy in an area and have free rein to explore, restock on ammo, and search for collectibles.

I'm trying to get a proper handle on the cloaking. It seems you're generally invisible, but if you approach someone from straight ahead they'll still see you, but it also seems a bit random. Maybe they've modeled the NPC's eyesight.

I'm trying to get a proper handle on the cloaking. It seems you're generally invisible, but if you approach someone from straight ahead they'll still see you, but it also seems a bit random. Maybe they've modeled the NPC's eyesight.

Stealth is affected by the noise of your footsteps, which could be contributing to the sense of unpredictability. You can eventually unlock an ability that makes you quieter.

Yeah in Crysis 1 they'd hear you even when approaching from behind if you were running. Crawling solved the issue nicely. :tup:

It's quite possible to 'ghost' an entire area, it just means you have to stealth kill everyone without their friends seeing. Alternatively, a silenced pistol can be fired from stealth without auto-draining your cloak. (All other weapons completely drain your energy bar if fired when cloaked.)

As for NPCs seeing you, you can walk up behind someone and take them out without issue, but there is a small, very miniscule visible distortion while moving under cloak (at least, that's my experience with MP.) I don't know if that's what NPCs actually see, or if they're 'tuned' to sense you at a certain distance in a say, 80 degree vision cone. I've been able to sneak right by them at certain angles, but never directly in front of them.