Sign in to follow this  
dpp

A very quick survey about car-sharing

Hello Thumbs,

If you're a car owner and you want to help a fellow Thumbster, could you please take this very quick survey? It will literally take less than 5 minutes and this will help me a LOT for a project I'm currently working at. All information is confidential, this will not be used for any other reasons than research.

One thing, the values are in US dollars. For the non-Americans, don't worry if some of the values don't apply, you can choose any answer or try to approximate as best as you can.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VLZVRWT

Thanks for the ones who helped. If anyone needs justification for what I'm doing, it's a business case competition between 2 universities. We have randomly formed teams and a real business problem that we need to study and give a recommendation. It's stressing the fuck out of me, we already lost one member due to being "sick" and we have a shitload of work until the presentation this Friday. Still, it's fun to try something new once in a while...

Well, thanks to all who answered.

Carsharing (company's fleet) started in Europe some time ago, but only recently that the peer-to-peer carsharing (someone's car) is appearing. There are some other p2p collaborative consumption models that are arising because it's a more economical and sustainable way to live. There's a lot of stuff you don't actually use all the time and just by renting it from someone else in a streamlined fashion the world could be a lot more efficient.

Take cars for example, they're in average more than 90% of the time idle (thumbs...). Moreover, there's the fact that you pay $1000-2000 in annual expenses plus depreciation and cost of opportunity (you could've used that money for something else), two factors that people don't think when they do the math of how much they're spending. It may be convenient to have it sitting all day long in front of your house, but there's a lot more you could be doing with that money (video games!).

Again, thanks for the few who took their time, it was invaluable to understand more what someone with a car would think about this proposition. It isn't an easy one, but it became very apparent when we looked at the survey results. It's now up to my group to present our findings tomorrow, I hope all the other groups managed to screw up worse than we did!

I think if, when buying a car, I thought about using it like this, then I probably would; it makes perfect sense. However, the car I have is one that I wanted for ages, and have formed an attachment with. Yes, I'm a car geek too, more specifically, a VW geek. We're awfully precious. :mock:

Heh, I answered it now also. Hopefully it isn't too late.

The question when was your car made is funny, my car is made in 1989 so it's quite far from 2003 (or earlier) which was the last year mentioned. :)