Sign in to follow this  
Sombre

Help me help myself(Help my computer)

Greetings true believers,

So here's the problem. I've been playing a lot of games on this laptop. From Dawn of War 2, to WoW, Dragon Age, and everything inbetween. However, some games often fall short in FPS. Mass Effect in particular, and The Witcher often get 10/15FPS with absolute minimum settings.

I checked my dxdiag, and realising that my drivers were dated at the 22nd January, 2009. Fiddlesticks!

Checking the ati website, I was frankly overwhelmed at how much there was, and It was all a bit confusing. Because I'm not entirely sure what chipset to go for, I'm still unable to sort this out. If anyone could directly point me to what I should get, I'd be in your debt. Love you long time, etc.

I hope that this driver update (I think they're factory drivers, doh) will help fix the FPS in some of this stuff. If it doesn't, what would you guys suggest?

Cheers in advance!

1376042-plxhelpnau.jpg

Can't let you do that Dave

As much as I hoped that was a real response, this was brilliant. (And you spotted it!!)

THREADJACK

How does one transfer a Windows license to another computer? That should be possible as long as it's not an OEM license, right?

THREADJACK

How does one transfer a Windows license to another computer? That should be possible as long as it's not an OEM license, right?

You just install Windows on the new computer and enter the key. If automatic activation fails, call the number that appears and explain the situation, and they'll give you a new key.

You may even be connected to a computer voice person. If that is the case, then on the question "How many PC's have you installed your copy on?" answer "One". :grin:

Not a joke, by the way.

^^ Definitely not a joke. I once had a blazing row with a microsoft drone because I said I would be installing it on my son's computer too..NOT ALLOWED.

I hung up and rang again and told them one...new key and happiness was had by all.

Jesus, has this happened to everyone? It's so lame, too. Although I was asked in Norwegian, the question was "How many computers have you installed Microsoft™ Windows™ on?". I though I'd be nice and give them the total number of computers I had installed Windows on, but it turns out it was just a trap and they were only asking about that specific license. Since then, whenever someone asks me a question where the correct answer is given in the form of an element of ℕ, I always reply "one".

Okay, cheers, let's hope it works out. I'll be getting the new, BattleThumbs enabled computer next week.

Guh, I've totally lost my patience with bureaucracy lately. I hope I don't have to deal with some annoying extra bullshit.

Guh, I've totally lost my patience with bureaucracy lately. I hope I don't have to deal with some annoying extra bullshit.

They may ask if they can dispatch a Microsoft agent to your place of residence and verify that you are installing it on one computer only.

Actually they managed to put it together yesterday already. Since then it seems I managed to ruin the mobo somehow while installing pci cards from my old 'puter. There's a first. Man, computers.

Turns out it wasn't my fault after all. One of the RAM modules was broken. I have it running, Windows activated and everything :)

^^ Definitely not a joke. I once had a blazing row with a microsoft drone because I said I would be installing it on my son's computer too..NOT ALLOWED.

I hung up and rang again and told them one...new key and happiness was had by all.

YOUR FAMILY NEEDS A SITE LICENCE. MICROSOFT WILL BE IMPOVERISHED AND ITS EMPLOYEES WILL GO HUNGRY UNLESS YOU BUY A SITE LICENCE.

Verily, they are at destitution's doorstep.