Sign in to follow this  
toblix

E3 2010

So, what's the story with E3 now? Is it no longer interesting for the serious games journalist? I heard Valve is maybe announcing something there.

It's still more than a month off. I'm excited for it, though I'm not going. Really interested in the big three press conferences and the flood of new game info. :yep:

Why would it no loger be interesting for serious journalists?

Valve should totally show off Portal 2 and Counter-Strike 2. :D

I got the impression it changed completely a couple of years ago, and was no longer the place for all the awesome announcement, but more of a generic nerd-fest. I'm probably wrong though.

Surely E3 is when we'll finally get the unveiling of the new Zelda game, yes? The one supposedly coming out at the end of the year?

If the new Wii Zelda game isn't there, then Nintendo can go fuck itself.

I got the impression it changed completely a couple of years ago, and was no longer the place for all the awesome announcement, but more of a generic nerd-fest. I'm probably wrong though.

I don't know. It hasn't been as relevant when they made it a behind-closed-doors-thing, but they went back to the old formula, a little, last year. I remember it was a lot more exciting in 2009 than it was the year before. :D

Yeah, E3 generated a shitload of buzz last year. I believe that was where we first saw Natal and PS Move, PSP GO, Splintercell: Conviction's current form, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Other M, etc.

If the new Wii Zelda game isn't there, then Nintendo can go fuck itself.

Ahahahaha, oh man it's hilarious to still see people actually expecting something gamer-esq from Nintendo at E3.

Personally I love the keynote conferences. They are this bizarre theater act talking about video games and E3 has never disappointed on that, in whatever form it manifests itself.

Warhammer 40K MMO. Omnf nomf nomf.

In all seriousness however, I think E3 has fallen from it's perch ever since it's resurrection. It's no-longer the 'go to' gaming conference. (I was going to say "the go to GDC" and then it occured to me GDC is the go to GDC. Whups.)

As it stands, it's still a place to go and see vidjima games. Just not as much as it used to be.

It downsized, IIRC due to shenanigans at the ESA and some major publishers not bothering with it. There were also rebranding things occurring with it being called E For All, and they also had a booth babe ban one year. It all got very confused, but apparently was back to its old self last year, and I'm thinking will be all the more so now GDC is trying to distance itself from big consumer facing announcements from platform holders, publishers and well known developers.

Back to being a balls kneeing robot :tmeh:

I'm always amazed that they are still doing booth babes. It's like they really don't want to be taken seriously.

They actually announced that they were working on a new Zelda for Wii, last year. http://play.tm/news/24935/new-wii-zelda-for-2010/

It seems like a pretty good bet that we'll see it.

Not to be a downer, but I bet not. Knowing Nintendos E3 track record and remembering something about how development on that was going extremely slow or something, I think it will be more bizarre speeches from their ceos and maybe a miyamoto appearance just to reassure us they have someone there actually cares about games.

In all seriousness however, I think E3 has fallen from it's perch ever since it's resurrection. It's no-longer the 'go to' gaming conference..

Really? Is there another conference where the three largest hardware manufactures have 1-2 hour keynotes and all the major publishes have smaller venues announcing the next 2 years of releases and plans that shape the industry?

All the while this is being streamed live in ever gaming news site in the world?

If there is, please let me know because I missed the memo.

Not to harp on this specific topic, but I love how people say E3 isn't E3 anymore; I really don't get that. Because it's still the conference with the most news and the exact same set up(in terms of companies conferences) as it always was and is still the only venue where they all do it at once.

The only difference now, I suppose, is some of the larger publishers have their own thing going on during the year and other conventions are popular as well.

I'm always amazed that they are still doing booth babes. It's like they really don't want to be taken seriously.

Well E3 is really a publisher/marketing run event. So anything that will work, it becomes a circus really. Personally I agree with you, but since the thing is such a gong show anyway it's not surprising they have a bunch of strippers running around handing out swag.

I also agree with this. Nokia's N-Gage booth at GDC a few years ago looked pathetic with, basically, lycra-clad blonde and brunette stick insects trying to reel people in. I still see a lot of games journalists, developers and so on having photos taken with them though; it works to pull some people in to the booth :/

Well E3 is really a publisher/marketing run event. So anything that will work, it becomes a circus really. Personally I agree with you, but since the thing is such a gong show anyway it's not surprising they have a bunch of strippers running around handing out swag.

Yeah, I guess it's not much different from a mechanical tools convention or car show or whatever (not that deWalt ever claimed they were making art...)

I'm glad to hear I was mistaken about it being a source of awesome news about things to come. I remember years ago, getting home from school and loading up Blue's News to peruse the summary of the day's E3 announcements. Hopefully it'll be like that this time too, only I'll be sitting at work hitting F5 on Shacknews.

Not to be a downer, but I bet not. Knowing Nintendos E3 track record and remembering something about how development on that was going extremely slow or something, I think it will be more bizarre speeches from their ceos and maybe a miyamoto appearance just to reassure us they have someone there actually cares about games.

I disagree. We'll definitely see the new Zelda, along with that weird 3DS thing. Definitely. What's not certain is whether or not Nintendo will actually release this Zelda that's supposedly slated for late this year.... this year. Knowing their track record there it'll probably be delayed.

Nintendo consistently has good E3s. Some less awesome than others, but they always show off something. Last year was nice because they had New Super Mario Bros Wii, Sin and Punishment 2, and Spirit Tracks on display. Not to mention Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus, which despite being for casuals are actually fun experiences. Wii Fit Plus in particular has more stuff to do in it than mimic a cold emotionless shell of a human while they show you exercises.

But I guess it's relative if you think those things don't count as something a person should be interested in.

I disagree. We'll definitely see the new Zelda, along with that weird 3DS thing. Definitely. What's not certain is whether or not Nintendo will actually release this Zelda that's supposedly slated for late this year.... this year. Knowing their track record there it'll probably be delayed.

Nintendo consistently has good E3s. Some less awesome than others, but they always show off something. Last year was nice because they had New Super Mario Bros Wii, Sin and Punishment 2, and Spirit Tracks on display. Not to mention Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus, which despite being for casuals are actually fun experiences. Wii Fit Plus in particular has more stuff to do in it than mimic a cold emotionless shell of a human while they show you exercises.

But I guess it's relative if you think those things don't count as something a person should be interested in.

They announce cool things but the Speeches are pretty boring, Microsoft and EA were the best last year in relation to this.

Nintendo should be pretty big on E3 announcements this year.

Finally the new Kirby game should make an appearance for the Wii apparently.

I'm waiting to hear new info on Golden Sun DS also, I haven't heard anything about that in a long time, since last E3 actually.

I would like Reggie to take the stage instead of the unbelievably boring Cammie Dunaway. I think Reggie is ready to kick some ass again.

I'm waiting to hear new info on Golden Sun DS also, I haven't heard anything about that in a long time, since last E3 actually.

I completely forgot about this.

FUCK YES GOLDEN SUN DS

Nintendo consistently has good E3s.

Yeah I suppose its just a matter of perspective. I like the games nintendo makes, but their e3 presentations for the past 3-4 years have been completely bizarre and for a totally different consumer base then the one I am part of or for those that attend E3.

It might be the reason why I'm a little harsh on them with this because I would have figured they would have at least tried to tune their presentations for the base that's actually going to be watchign these.

I hope zelda is shown in more forms then a cg trailer at E3; but I'm still doubting it purely based on track record.

Edited by Murdoc

I realize that when, at the end of the Portal ARG, they left the message "pend until E3", that they probably meant that Portal 2 would be shown there.

I still hold out hope that they'll show off some Half-Life 2: Episode 3 stuff.

Finally the new Kirby game should make an appearance for the Wii apparently.

Really?! I had no idea there was one in development. I figured little ol' Kirby was dead now.

This should be great news!

Edited by syntheticgerbil

Really?! I had no idea there was one in development. I figured little ol' Kirby was dead now.

That should be great news!

Indeed, i love kirby and considering this will be on the wii... oh my the jokes.

Kirby Sucks his way onto the Wii. Kirby Sucks Nintendo's Wii. Kirby,... well you get the picture.

edit: oOoO; Kirby inhales a black wii!