Anyone else played this, I managed to get a load of games last night. Some with Illeria and Jeff. It feels quite different to the previous Halos, the closest being Halo CE. It reminds me of Star Wars: Republic Commando, which is a fantastic thing.

Grenades are more powerful than before, very few weapons return, new armour abilities are available (Sprint, Jetpacks, Armour and Infiltration), discrete health returns combined with recharging shield, new game modes include Stockpile (like a scavenger hunt) Head hunter (kill someone to gain a point then you have to go to a point to bank it).

A combination of these makes the game feel different, it still feels like Halo, but at the same time it doesn't. It's faster, more chaotic.

You need ODST to run the beta though.

I'm up for it, just set a time. Also, if I'm playing, which I'll be wont to do, feel free to party up.

I played a couple of matches yesterday, but I did horribly. I never played Halo multiplayer though, so that was kinda expected.

u actually need ODST to run the beta? - i had ODST but i finished it in 1 evening with a few friends and since it was sosososososososososo boring compared to online Halo3 n shit i decided to just bring it back to the store - and wait for Reach.. but now ur telling me i need the fucked up crappy game to play the cool game? thats bull and fucked up T_T

You only need ODST to participate in the beta. The actual game is released in September. I'm going to respectfully disagree with your opinion on Odious Tea also, with it being more of a single player game than co-op in atmosphere, this isn't needed here though.

It reminds me of Star Wars: Republic Commando, which is a fantastic thing.

They mentioned this game on the Giant Bombcast recently (Star Wars RC, that is), I think it was probably to compare it with Reach, so after two namedrops of it, my curiosity is stoked. What makes that game special and would it be worth playing in the current day?

They mentioned this game on the Giant Bombcast recently (Star Wars RC, that is), I think it was probably to compare it with Reach, so after two namedrops of it, my curiosity is stoked. What makes that game special and would it be worth playing in the current day?

The weight of the characters feels similar to Reach. From what I remember Republic Commando was a very fun yet highly structured FPS. I seem to remember it had a cover system though that could be bullshit (it has been 5 years after all). it's also the only good thing associated with the pretend Star Wars films.

the pretend Star Wars films.

I'm going to choose this, admittedly inappropriate, time and place to admit that I have a huge soft spot for Episode One. It came out at just the right time for me to love it (I was 11 and I found Jar Jar Binks hilarious). Plus, as a friend of mine pointed out, it's the only film in which you get to spend some time seeing the Republic as it is before it's ripped apart by intergalatic war.

I even read the fucking novelization.

I'm going to choose this, admittedly inappropriate, time and place to admit that I have a huge soft spot for Episode One.

I am by no means a huge Star Wars fan, but my jaw just dropped. I am genuinely stunned you like Episode One.

Maybe it is an age thing. I was in college, a group of us went on the afternoon of the opening day, and I've rarely been so disappointed in my life.

Not trying to make fun of you or be rude at all. Just stunned!

I am by no means a huge Star Wars fan, but my jaw just dropped. I am genuinely stunned you like Episode One.

Maybe it is an age thing. I was in college, a group of us went on the afternoon of the opening day, and I've rarely been so disappointed in my life.

Not trying to make fun of you or be rude at all. Just stunned!

To this day I still don't know why people dislike that movie so much. admittedly, I haven't watched it in about 9 or 10 years.

I played a couple of matches yesterday, but I did horribly. I never played Halo multiplayer though, so that was kinda expected.

I got okay at Halo 3 multiplayer after a while, but there was horribleness at the start.

Can't speak for Reach as I haven't tried it yet, but to get past the initial uselessness level at least, get into high rate of fire while running at a dude followed by melee elbowing a dude in the face.

That's as far as I've ever gotten with Halo multiplayer!!!

To this day I still don't know why people dislike that movie so much. admittedly, I haven't watched it in about 9 or 10 years.

Well, watch it again!

Seriously though, if you really liked it at the time, I can't imagine your opinion would change that much.

I found myself outraged over things I wasn't aware I cared about (i.e. Midichlorians) but really, I was mostly just bored and terribly disappointed. Like I said, may be an age thing.

I know this is a Halo: Reach thread, but how do you feel about Episodes 2 and 3?

Well, watch it again!

Seriously though, if you really liked it at the time, I can't imagine your opinion would change that much.

I found myself outraged over things I wasn't aware I cared about (i.e. Midichlorians) but really, I was mostly just bored and terribly disappointed. Like I said, may be an age thing.

I know this is a Halo: Reach thread, but how do you feel about Episodes 2 and 3?

I thought 2 was terrible, but I quite liked 3. I felt that 3 did a good job making a bunch of references to the other films and tying every thing together and it was interesting in that seeing Anakin become Vader was very interesting in light of everything we knew about Vader from episodes 3, 4 and 5. I thought the Volcano battle scene was pretty great (thank god they got a real actor to play grown up Anakin). I don't really like Star Wars that much in general, so I don't care about stuff like midichlorians and when people complained about the acting in the prequels I always felt like they were going to McDonald's and complaining because they couldn't order fillet mignon.

Edit: also keep in mind I really really liked Jar Jar. Like: he was my favorite character in Star Wars. So I certainly wasn't in the mainstream with my opinion.

Can't speak for Reach as I haven't tried it yet, but to get past the initial uselessness level at least, get into high rate of fire while running at a dude followed by melee elbowing a dude in the face.

You can't do that in Reach so easily, Melee will only kill if they have no shield left.

just as in Halo3 then :P unless you done a blow in the back of the head

No, in H3 you could go to about 25% shield and then a melee would kill. A punch in the back doesn't kill one with full health unless you hold B, though someone can kill you to save his friend with this.

No, in H3 you could go to about 25% shield and then a melee would kill. A punch in the back doesn't kill one with full health unless you hold B, though someone can kill you to save his friend with this.

Cool. I think I'll miss the punch in the back move! I might fire this up later in the week and look out for thumbs.

The price on ODST just dropped, so I picked it up today. I realize the Reach beta is only open until Saturday, and I'll actually only be able to get in any game time for the rest of the week tomorrow after work, but any Thumbs up for a game tomorrow? I don't get in until around 5 or 5:30 Mountain time (running day errands for work, not working the usual night shift), and I know the majority of the online crew are in Europe, but if anyone is good for a game starting around or a little after midnight GMT and going for a couple of hours, I'd enjoy giving the game a try with them...

The price on ODST just dropped, so I picked it up today. I realize the Reach beta is only open until Saturday, and I'll actually only be able to get in any game time for the rest of the week tomorrow after work, but any Thumbs up for a game tomorrow? I don't get in until around 5 or 5:30 Mountain time (running day errands for work, not working the usual night shift), and I know the majority of the online crew are in Europe, but if anyone is good for a game starting around or a little after midnight GMT and going for a couple of hours, I'd enjoy giving the game a try with them...

I may well be up for it.

Cool. I'll check online around 5:15 and see if anyone's around.

Mind dropping me a steam IM, PC and Xbox use the same screen.

Mind dropping me a steam IM, PC and Xbox use the same screen.

If you could drop me an IM too, I'd be happy to join in (if I'm not otherwise occupied).

Thanks for a wonderful set of games, Patters and Jon. I'm definitely a lot more interested in all things Halo after that set of matches. n0wak, was something up with your connection? Regardless, nice to see you again, if only for a bit.

Thanks for a wonderful set of games, Patters and Jon. I'm definitely a lot more interested in all things Halo after that set of matches. n0wak, was something up with your connection? Regardless, nice to see you again, if only for a bit.

Yeah, the game is already incredibly solid, particularly this far from release. The biggest complaints I see are from MLG players who seem to want pinpoint accuracy on all weapons, which is when I think they should go play Starcraft or Quake.

I have a code but I've been on vacation for the last couple weeks so haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'll definitely give it a shot when I get home.

It feels quite different to the previous Halos, the closest being Halo CE.

RAD