Sign in to follow this  
mikemariano

The Day Halo 2 Died

Did anyone else play Halo 2 multiplayer last night?

The game has now been "un-LIVEed", so it was your last chance.

I almost never play multiplayer anything, but I dug out the game, went through all the updates, and really got into it. Especially fun was the all-rocket-launchers-all-the-time mode.

One weird thing I noticed---nobody melee attacks! I got a good amount of my kills through this process:

1. I see another guy and we shoot at each other until we run out of rockets.
  2. He runs away.
  3. I charge at him and smack him with the rocket launcher. He dies.

There are plenty of stupid things about Halo, but they created fun multiplayer modes that have aged well.

FROM THE IDLE ARCHIVES: "Halo, what a waste of time?" --- in which Jake defends Halo 1 and 2 against WASD-loving snobs!

I loathe Halo somewhat but not really for the gameplay.

I'm just posting hoping you all got your extra Xbox Live content before everything shut down for good.

I made the effort to sign up just to download two Warrior Within Time Attack Levels and an extra Level to Armed and Dangerous about a year ago thinking this was going to happen soon. Sucks. Hopefully someone will back up all of this stuff somewhere just in case people are curious about the defunct extra content in the future.

Halo is an incredibly important series, particularly to me. I didn't play Halo 2 yesterday though, my copy is 200 miles away. I have the PC version and a 360 controller though. I am likely to be the person who has played the most Halo here (4,380 games online with Halo 3).

My view on it may seem a little harsh: those who don't think Halo is a good game are morons, disliking the game is a different thing entirely though.

Also Reach beta soon, something which I am looking forward to a lot. If Bungie know one thing it's how to make a fantastic multiplayer game.

My experience with Halo 2:

We tried to play splitscreen co-op with a friend, the only mode of gameplay that never ever fails to entertain in any game, but after about twenty minutes we were stuck in some boring spaceship and couldn't figure out what to do. Nothing was happening, it was dark, featureless and boring, so we stopped.

after about twenty minutes we were stuck in some boring spaceship and couldn't figure out what to do

The Halo single-player maps range from decent (New Mombasa) to soul-crushingly terrible. Seeing them smushed vertically split-screen makes areas like the human ships a lot less fun. I ran into many corners that should have been doors, much to the annoyance of my friend.

NOSTALGIA TIP: Marathon: Durandal is on Xbox Live Arcade! Its level design is even worse than Halo's.

In the morning Kotaku said Halo 2 online was still working. I don't know if that's been changed since then and don't care enough to look.

Halo 2 was a bit of a let down after the first halo. I sold my Game cube for a pre-ordre, oh well must have played 100 hours. it was still awsome