Sign in to follow this  
Sombre

Giantbomb- Now with quests.

This is not a shameless plug. I don't think.

Anyway, the guys at giantbomb pushed out a bit of new code today (last night) which adds "Quests" to their website. Frankly, I think it's pretty super, and I know Jake eluded to it earlier on his twitter. It basically rewards you for looking at their incredibly extensive database, adding things, and essentially coming together with our collective knowledge. It's very very cool, I urge you to give it a look into!

Link here.

Also, it encouraged me to make a small treat

Haven't fooled with it yet but I think this is a pretty sweet idea. I remember way back in the day Redwood's Quake page (or was it Stomped?) had a monthly contest where you'd win a game if you were the first to find the Redwood (or Stomped) graphic hiding out on one of their more obscure pages. I "won" Heretic 2 (but never got it :(

Anyway, I have to say I check out my achievement profile on GB regularly. Knowing which ones are rare appeasing some statistical ubergeek within me and having a D ranking on a game shamefully reminds me which games I've been neglecting.

To be perfectly honest, I'm kind of sick of every damn application getting achievements and leaderboards and badges and experience points. It diminishes the whole point of an application. If I'm visiting your site, it better be because your site is of value to me; not some external reward system. The novelty of those wears thin after a while and it does more harm than good.

To be perfectly honest, I'm kind of sick of every damn application getting achievements and leaderboards and badges and experience points. It diminishes the whole point of an application. If I'm visiting your site, it better be because your site is of value to me; not some external reward system. The novelty of those wears thin after a while and it does more harm than good.

Well…*I'm on it with you.

But someone is bound to come and say "you don't have to if you don't want to…"

I'm loving this feature! I'm already a completionist, AND a semi-active GB user, so this is right in my wheelhouse. I'm already lvl. 10... <.<

That now comes up before Idle Thumbs for a google search for Bronstring Marek Bronstring :deranged:

I came close to setting the picture of Hedonism bot as defualt image, but well...you know.

Apparently they've more than doubled their page views that they usually get in a certain time period. I'm happy for them that they're finding ways to be successful.

I know nothing about games. I've spent almost 2 hours there and am only level 3.

Also, I think the "broken toys" quest is broken. nevermind, I'm dumb.

I know nothing about games. I've spent almost 2 hours there and am only level 3.

Also, I think the "broken toys" quest is broken.

I'm pretty sure the robot thing is R.O.B. but it just doesn't register

You have to go to the 2 games he was used in.

You have to go to the 2 games he was used in.

Yup, noticed that now.

All my S-rank games finally registered, so now I'm level 11. Yay!

That's a funny thing to say. If you only visit the site to find info on the database for example, the achievement system is not something you have to concern yourself with, but it helps create a lot of content for the database. So the site is better for you even if you never look at the quests page.

That's a funny thing to say. If you only visit the site to find info on the database for example, the achievement system is not something you have to concern yourself with, but it helps create a lot of content for the database. So the site is better for you even if you never look at the quests page.

This. I usually didn't bother with the database, because everyone already knows more than me, but the quest system had me going out and finding pages that needed updating, like adding "My Horse and Me" to Mareks page.

This. I usually didn't bother with the database, because everyone already knows more than me, but the quest system had me going out and finding pages that needed updating, like adding "My Horse and Me" to Mareks page.

YES

All my S-rank games finally registered, so now I'm level 11. Yay!

I don't even have any game (except Excite Truck) that has the S-rank concept...

I stopped listening to the Bombcast a while ago but this has sparked my interest again, thanks for that Sombre. :tup:

Stopped listening to the bombcast? Man you must have some VERY discerning tastes. It's one of the best and most consistent shows out right now.

I don't even have any game (except Excite Truck) that has the S-rank concept...

On Giant Bomb, S Rank just means that you have all 1000 achievement points/all the trophies/all the steam achievements. Which leads me to ask Korax, 11!? I don't think I've ever cared enough about achievements to S Rank 1 game. Only thing I've gotten close in was Guitar Hero 2, where I got all but two of them. What the hell, man?

Their S-Ranks include steam games with achievements as well though! I always knew hunting for all those grubs and dragging that damn garden gnome around would pay off in the end...

I only have one S-rank (MW2). I have a few platinums on PS3, but it doesn't look like trophy integration will be fixed in the foreseeable future.

I've been chasing GB achievements quite a bit over the past few days. I'm not convinced this is a good idea in my case. I'm not really absorbing a great deal. I'm a shitty user. On the other hand, it may be great for other people, so I have no objection to it.

On Giant Bomb, S Rank just means that you have all 1000 achievement points/all the trophies/all the steam achievements. Which leads me to ask Korax, 11!? I don't think I've ever cared enough about achievements to S Rank 1 game. Only thing I've gotten close in was Guitar Hero 2, where I got all but two of them. What the hell, man?

11 is just my GB user level. I've got 23 S-ranks, achievement-wise. Would have 27, but I haven't played the ME2 DLC yet, and PSN syncing doesn't work.

While I am a bit of an achievement whore, I don't like to spend that much time on a game unless I actually enjoy playing it. There are a couple exceptions to that rule, but I didn't spend much time or money on them, so I didn't mind scooping up the points.

I agree in principle, but I think in this particular case it's valid. Giant Bomb - both the dudes themselves and users - seem to love arbitrary things being represented as successes. Their site has loads of functions pertaining to achievements, trivia, rankings and the points system, so this kind of thing is ostensibly right up their street. I like Giant Bomb and think it's a good thing they exist, their database is very useful and I still occasionally listen to the Bombcast, but this isn't intended to appeal to me and that seems about right because I'm definitely not their "core user" or whatever.

Stopped listening to the bombcast? Man you must have some VERY discerning tastes. It's one of the best and most consistent shows out right now.

I'm extremely picky when it comes to podcasts.

I listen to:

The Bugle

Dr Karl

Drunk Tank (Considering Ditching)

Bombcast

Hypothetical Help

Idle Thumbs :tup:

The Instance

Sarcastic Gamer Red Show

I listened to the 1up show and 1upyours, rebel radio(?) etc. and didn't find them at all enjoyable.

A quick run down:

The Bugle is an excellent and hilarious podcast from two British comedians that just talk 24/7 nonsense, kind of like Idle Thumbs but with no serious content whatsoever.

Dr Karl is a scientist in Australia who is pretty famous and has a radio show every week that I download the podcast of.

Drunk Tank is the Rooster Teeth podcast that was pretty refreshing for a while but is becoming more and more alienating because they talk about American TV a lot.

Hypothetical Help is Scott Johnson (The runner of Frogpants Studios) and Mark Turpster Turpin (From WoW.com) reading mail people send them about problems with their lives which they then answer comically.

Idle Thumbs is - oh right...

The Instance is the best source of WoW information, news and analysis available and it's pretty funny too.

Sarcastic Gamer Red Show is the main podcast from sarcasticgamer.com and is hilariously funny every single week.

I recommend them all.

Except Drunk Tank. :tdown: