Sign in to follow this  
Garple

XBLA Strategy

Isn't it only single player, though? I have it on Steam.

The XBLA version incorporates Multiwinia (hence the +).

Ok, guys, I just started up the Catan demo...and I don't know if it's just my current mood...but I was all...bleh. Can you just explain to me briefly what's cool about the game. And does it take a little bit to really "get into it"?

Give it a few games. I used to play the real game with friends, and it takes a little time to get used to the mechanics and strategy involved. It's also a lot better when playing against actual people.

I've also got it, and would love to play every once in a while.

The XBLA version incorporates Multiwinia (hence the +).

Give it a few games. I used to play the real game with friends, and it takes a little time to get used to the mechanics and strategy involved. It's also a lot better when playing against actual people.

I've also got it, and would love to play every once in a while.

Cool, man: to both of the thing-a-ma-bobs that you said.

(I hate the term "gamer", by the way...who's with me?)

I don't know if I'd say I hate it, but I'm certainly uncomfortable with it. It seems bizarre to me that people who like computer games have formed this community with very specific traits, labels (such as "gamer") and so on. I don't think you find that as much around other media. Perhaps it's because gaming is seen more as a hobby than something like watching films, but I'm not entirely satisfied with some people's willingness to identify themselves primarily by the fact that they play games. I spend probably altogether too much time playing games myself, but I don't feel like a "gamer" any more than I do a "filmer". I don't know, maybe I'm making a lot of fuss about nothing.

I don't know if I'd say I hate it, but I'm certainly uncomfortable with it. It seems bizarre to me that people who like computer games have formed this community with very specific traits, labels (such as "gamer") and so on. I don't think you find that as much around other media. Perhaps it's because gaming is seen more as a hobby than something like watching films, but I'm not entirely satisfied with some people's willingness to identify themselves primarily by the fact that they play games. I spend probably altogether too much time playing games myself, but I don't feel like a "gamer" any more than I do a "filmer". I don't know, maybe I'm making a lot of fuss about nothing.

I don't know, a gamer is involved in the game to a degree which on watching a film or reading a book cannot be. You call one who does the activity they do then add a suffix of -er: writer, cinematographer, runner, etc; with the exception of musicians who take the suffix -ist. If anything I think the term game is becoming more irrelevant, with the nature of many "games" not being entirely game-like.

Aren't most of those vocations? Gaming is not a vocation, it's a pastime. I wouldn't call someone who goes out running every evening to unwind a runner; I would call someone who runs as a profession a runner. I guess you could call somebody who plays a musical instrument in a purely recreational capacity a musician, I guess.

I don't see the interactive nature of games as being particularly relevant. For one thing, I think it's risky to say that that necessarily means that game-players are more "involved" than book-readers. You might not have any influence on the outcome, but you can be very involved when reading a book (or watching a film or whatever). I don't think it says anything more about me that I play games than it does that I watch films or read books or listen to music. I'm not ashamed of any of these things, but I don't like to identify myself in terms of them very much.

I just bought Greed Corps on 360. If this thing is still going ahead count me in. I've been playing more strategy games as of late but I'm not that good at them either. I'm prone to risky manoeuvres and tunnel vision.

I'm also playing Napoleon: Total War at the moment but have never tried the online stuff out in that series so if anyone is up for that give me a shout. You can find me in the Steam group or on xbox live as F4T C4T.

I just bought Greed Corps on 360. If this thing is still going ahead count me in. I've been playing more strategy games as of late but I'm not that good at them either. I'm prone to risky manoeuvres and tunnel vision.

I'm also playing Napoleon: Total War at the moment but have never tried the online stuff out in that series so if anyone is up for that give me a shout. You can find me in the Steam group or on xbox live as F4T C4T.

You're the only other person I've heard of who has Greed Corp. so I'm adding you on XBL and you can expect an invite to play sometime soon.

Cheers Groucho, I've not been on the box recently but I'll accept when I get on there next (the curse of having too many games machines, too many good games and not enough time).

How about we make some time for a game this week? I'm on GMT time so if it suits you, Monday to Wednesday evenings are usually best for me. If there's a time difference thing going on maybe the weekend would be better though.

I'm Eastern standard time US so I'm 4 hours behind you. However, I can usually make some time for gaming on weekday afternoons, so if you have time in the evening (evening for you, I mean) that would work for me. In fact, I'm pretty flexible on weekdays, so why don't you throw out some times that would work for you and I'll let you know if they'll fit.

OK, how about tomorrow evening (Wednesday) 9:00pm GMT?

I could also do this evening around the same time but I thought it might be late notice. Anytime between 8-10, Monday - Wednesday is usually ok for me (providing there's nothing on t.v. my girlfriend wants to watch).

I still haven't plugged the xbox in yet to accept your invite, but I will do tonight!

It seems a lot of thumbs have Carcassonne on XBLA, from the leaderboards it would be pretty cool to get a full 5 player game going. Miffy and I had a few this morning, it was pretty great, despite both of us being incredibly tired.

I would also be interested in playing a few other board games over the internet through http://www.brettspielwelt.de/ if we can get a small group together and use skype for chat.

Hey Groucho, I PM'd you about Greed Corps but I guess you ignored/didn't notice.

I loved that game and have been encouraging others to play, if you fancy a couple of rounds at some point let me know.

Hey Groucho, I PM'd you about Greed Corps but I guess you ignored/didn't notice.

Oh jeez, sorry. I guess I read it and said "I'll respond later" and then forgot. Usually I always respond to PMs. If you catch me online (GrouchoClub) and invite me to play I'll be happy to jump into it with you.

Groucho, I friended the strummer 521 gamertag. Is that the wrong one?

Because Thursday is French-Canadian-racist day in Montreal I am not working and will be lounging around the X360 all day if you would like to mark out an hour to try out Greed Corps let me know.

Incidentally Panzer General: Allied Assault is on the Clearance list along with a bunch of other, fine games. Worth checking out at least the demo.