Kolzig

Nintendo Media Summit

I'm very happy for yesterday's news that Nintendo threw at my face.

Looks to be quite insanely good year for gaming at least in the Wii sector.

Mario Galaxy 2 looking really sweet and coming before summer, the little bit suspicious Metroid: Other M coming during summer and Cave Story FINALLY coming to Wiiware in the end of March at least in US, but hopefully also in Europe. Also Megaman 10 is coming next month to Wiiware and this Friday Castlevania: Rebirth comes after a few months of waiting also to Europe.

Also Monster Hunter Tri is coming up before summer, might not get that but I am very interested in learning more about it. Visuals look great, and free online play seems really interesting, but there's something about it that doesn't make it go higher in my lists.

Apparently there's a Warioware game coming to Wiiware also, I think I was completely in the dark about that.

Super Meat Boy is now coming to Xbox Live Arcade also, so that's no longer a Wii exclusive, and it looks to be coming to all platforms in the summer or late spring.

I can't really tell you how happy I was to watch Mario Galaxy 2, that's me the old Sega and Sonic nut being happy that a new Mario game is coming out. What has the world become? :mock:

Apparently there's a Warioware game coming to Wiiware also, I think I was completely in the dark about that.

You mean WarioWare DIY? I think that's actually for the DSi.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be bought by me! It's literally been years since I last bought a game for Wii.

This is weird (and maybe gross):

yoshispunkbomb.jpg

You mean WarioWare DIY? I think that's actually for the DSi.

I guess it's for DSi then. All the piles of new information just ran over me in the morning so I maybe mixed up that. :getmecoat

I double checked my sources and it is indeed a WIIWARE game, the DIY game for DSi is a separate thing.

The game announced is Warioware D.I.Y. Showcase, exclusive to Wiiware channel. It will have more than 70 minigames and have some kind of interoperability with the DSi version. You can transfer minigames between the products, even minigames that you have created yourself. :tup:

Edited by Kolzig

Galaxy 2 was under my radar and I'm really liking what I'm seeing and hearing about it.

The Other M gameplay details also sound neat, no word on a name change yet. DOH!

I think it's awesome that the Super Mario Galaxy 2 footage makes it very obvious how you will play the game.

Every second says to me, "Oh, you have to jump on the platforms, but they're going to flip, so I have to time it right." and "Oh, I've got to drill through the planet, but I have to make sure the guy is standing on the other side so I hit him."

It's so tangible! I can taste myself playing this game.

So, I'm kind of split about Other M. From what various different sources have to say, there seem to be an equal amount of things that I like and things that I hate.

The game itself will be in 3-D, but mostly locked into a 2-D plane, with the occasional slight shift in camera angle. A Wii remote held NES-style will be used for control, but with the option of pointing the remote at the screen to activate a first-person firing mode. A little weird sounding, but if implemented right, it could be interesting. There's also a little bit of ambiguity as to what can be done in first-person mode. So far, it seems that the only time anyone has seen missiles being used or bosses being fought, it's been in first-person.

While there won't be crazy, Ninja-Gaiden-style melee combat, there is a Gaiden-esque dodge move that Samus can now use to quickly evade enemies. Again, if implemented right, it could be good.

My biggest problem, though, is that the tone of the game seems to be rather non-Metroid. For me, Metroid games have always been about isolation. Samus is a lone soul, exploring unknown and hostile environments. No one else is with her because they're either dead or too scared to try.

There have been a couple minor exceptions. In Fusion, there's a computer that pops up every once in a while to give objectives, and Samus has a bit of inner monologue during elevator sequences. At the beginning of Prime 3, there are some interactions with whatever military organization hired her, but it quickly abandons them once the game gets going.

This time, she's hired as an operative to help a group of commandos, with whom she apparently keeps in regular radio contact with throughout the game. You hire Samus because she's the best and can get the job done when everybody else has failed, not to babysit a group of assholes who are apparently too incompetent to do what they specialize in.

There's also a "concentration mode" of some sort that allows you to regenerate missiles and an amount of your total health. Again, this seems non-Metroid to me. Part of the exploration is not knowing what's out there to get you, and making sure that you're cautious and aware of your surroundings, because at any moment, something might try to kill you, and you'd better hope you've got enough health and ammo to survive. Now you don't have to worry about it. Low on health? Just find a quiet corner and sit for a little while. Everything will be okay!

There's also a thing that makes me worried that Other M will be much more linear than the other games. Instead of taking away all your weapons, you just can't use them until you're authorized by the hiring organization. I imagine it like this: Instead of finding a place you can't get to, doing some exploration, finding a gadget, returning to a previous point, and using it, you move forward until you can't any more, some sort of trigger is hit, and now missiles are active, letting you continue to move forward.

Looking back at this, I realize that there are actually quite a few more negatives than positives. I'm not looking forward to Other M at all.

Super Meat Boy is now coming to Xbox Live Arcade also, so that's no longer a Wii exclusive, and it looks to be coming to all platforms in the summer or late spring.

IT WAS NEVER A WII EXCLUSIVE IT WAS ALWAYS CONFIRMED FOR PC

PC IS A PLATFORM TOO GODDAMNIT

RAAARRGHHH

RAAARRGHHH

Chris Remo. Saving PC gaming one indie at a time

I'm worried about Other M as well...

This time, she's hired as an operative to help a group of commandos, with whom she apparently keeps in regular radio contact with throughout the game. You hire Samus because she's the best and can get the job done when everybody else has failed, not to babysit a group of assholes who are apparently too incompetent to do what they specialize in.

Yeah, I'm not sure I like how the feeling of desolation and "one woman against the galaxy" seems to being bled out of the series.

I enjoyed the feel of the shooting and gameplay a LOT in Prime 3, but looking back, the parts where the story was being delivered by doods and interactions with other agencies and hunters felt very un-Metroid...

My favorite thing about Super Metroid is how well it tells stories through visual cues and gameplay as opposed to scanner text or dialogue, so it'd be sad if that was more of a serendipitous side effect of limitations in technology and memory than a conscious direction.

For example, I recall discovering that the Chozo created (or at least used) Metroids as some sort of power source back when they were explorers and shipwrights, before they settled into more tribal and spiritual ascension phases. No character says that, and there's no ship's log to read... I got that the crashed ship was Chozo-built from how the crewman ghost enemies in the area looked vaguely birdlike, like the statues they leave everywhere. There were some smaller and sickly looking Metroids trapped in locked off areas of the ship animated in the background.

Shit, I could be WRONG about the above, but it's still awesome that it told a complete origin story in my head by connecting visual cues that the user can CHOOSE to follow if they're obsessed with details. The great thing about doing things that way is that an impatient and goal-oriented user can just blast past the story without slamming A to skip anything or getting annoyed, but it's laid bare "organically" if you're interested.

RAAARRGHHH

Sorry Chris, but the PC version is of course the original and already released a long time ago so the exclusivity is not true.

The XBox and Wii version will still have loads of extra stuff in that are different from the original PC version. Apparently there will be at least a release through Steam, which I didn't know of actually so that is why I was talking about the so called exclusivity.

I've tri-ed Monster Hunter a few times on PSP, but never been able to really get to grips with the schizophrenic control system. Really hoping the Wii version has overcome this, if not completely rebuilt the controls outright.

It's fine, in theory, to have different stances depending on the weapon you're using. But it made changing your gear for something different a difficult decision; I found it hard to tell if I was bad at the game, bad with a particular weapon or just bad with the controls. :frusty:

RAAARRGHHH

Grandpa, What's a P-SEE?

It's a toaster you know son, jenks used it in WW2. But don't use this ugly word, little boy. Just say Mac.......:violin: