Sign in to follow this  
syntheticgerbil

Fuck you Wave Race!

:(:(:(ARGH!:(:(:(:(:(:(

Wave Race for Game Boy is a bastard game full of jerkoff asshole computer opponents who all love to run their stupid jet ski into the only human player around. I never see them fighting eachother.

The worst part about this asshole fucking game is on the final circuits, winning isn't dependent of how well you do the track, but is dependent on you saving up your nitro for the last lap. How well you race does not make a difference, because it's not possible to pass the 1st place computer opponent until near the very end, because how fast he goes is dependent on how fast you go. That's such bullshit! The computer should play on a set time you have to beat to win! It's even more crap because if I completely fuck up a race, I can dawdle around in circles for a while while the second to last computer player is dependent on how slow you are going, so he will purposefully dawdle or wait for you to start going again until the point where you are trying to pass him, in which he teases you staying directly in front of you until the end of the race! AND THEN THERE'S THE JERK OFF BUGS WHERE SOMETIMES PLAYERS START DRIVING BACKWARDS SOMEHOW JUST TO BUMP INTO YOU> JETUSKIS DON"PT DRIVE BACKWEDASE!

ARGH! I would have cheated to finish this shit by now if it weren't for lack of codes. egnsdv

I approve of this post. However, I have to ask: if this game is so bad, how come it has over sixty sequels?

I don't know, I'm only forcing myself to play it because it was designed by the guy who designed Donkey Kong for Game Boy as well as Mole Mania, both of which are great.

I do remember playing Wave Race 64 though while riding the dolphin, which my friend had unlocked on his cartridge. Mostly I just ran the dolphin into rock walls and wooden structures.

Wave Race 64 and Blue Storm are awesome. If you have a Wii, download 64. I'm a little curious about how the gameboy version would even work. Is it one of those top-down 2D racing games that I never end up able to control?

Wave Race 64 and Blue Storm are awesome. If you have a Wii, download 64. I'm a little curious about how the gameboy version would even work. Is it one of those top-down 2D racing games that I never end up able to control?

Yes, that's exactly the type of game it is. Apparently it's the first Wave Race game. I didn't realize until last week that Wave Race made it's debut on monochromatic game boy.

Don't ever be tempted to play Midnight Club: Los Angeles.

I remember reading your post, but I guess the frustration didn't ring true for me until now, since I hardly play racing games. Now I've learned what rubberbanding is, very cool. I guess I hardly have dealt with this sort of AI behavior before.

Their is something off putting about Wave race that keeps me from playing it even though it is mentioned every couple of months to me.

You know when you see a trailer for an unrelesed game and you get a feeling in your head that you feel the flow and the atmosfer of the game(which is then complitly minimized when you play the game)? Well, that happens to me every time I see Wave race. It's like controlled chaos where you are just doing little commands, but all the big ''decisions'' are made for you.

...But still, better than Mario kart with planes(don't ask, sometimes I have terrible dreams).

...But still, better than Mario kart with planes(don't ask, sometimes I have terrible dreams).

I dunno, I liked Diddy Kong Racing.

I love the title of this thread. I'm not sure why, but I've never expected to arrive this site and see a hateful attack on Wave Race.

That might be because I've never played the game though.

I love the title of this thread. I'm not sure why, but I've never expected to arrive this site and see a hateful attack on Wave Race.

That might be because I've never played the game though.

It's probably just that you need to be here for long enough that this is commonplace.

NOTE: This post was created by doing a forum search on threads started by Toblix. You're fucking awesome, 'blix. Never change.

It's probably just that you need to be here for long enough that this is commonplace.

Wow, that's really horrible. Thanks for reminding me why I should have my internet access revoked by the King. I think you'll find, though, that my post quality has increased somewhat since the start of this calendar year. Not quality as in intelligence or wit, but as in ratio of normal people words to four letter ones.

Also, I just wanted to say that I'm being constantly impressed by people playing these old games. For some reason it seems more "genuine" or hard-core to take the time to play games that (I assume) really has a presentation that would turn most people away before even pressing START to start. A couple of years ago I did a thing where I played some old GameBoy Zeldas, and I really enjoyed them, even though I had to "force" myself somewhat to get started. Maybe there's a difference in attitude, that some players want to enjoy a game, so they bear more with the negatives and latch on to the positives, while others (like me) want to be entertained, so they expect everything to be fun and awesome and reject the whole thing based on single aspects that turn them off at first (graphics, in the case of older games). In conclusion, maybe Wave Racer sucks, but it's awesome that you got towards the end before you made that decision.

Edited by toblix

Wave Race was awesome! My sister got it with her Game Boy Pocket and I played the shit out of it. Huge learning curve, but once you get to grips with all of its bullshit it's an absolute blast. Probably the first game that had me chasing times.

Also, I just wanted to say that I'm being constantly impressed by people playing these old games. For some reason it seems more "genuine" or hard-core to take the time to play games that (I assume) really has a presentation that would turn most people away before even pressing START to start. A couple of years ago I did a thing where I played some old GameBoy Zeldas, and I really enjoyed them, even though I had to "force" myself somewhat to get started. Maybe there's a difference in attitude, that some players want to enjoy a game, so they bear more with the negatives and latch on to the positives, while others (like me) want to be entertained, so they expect everything to be fun and awesome and reject the whole thing based on single aspects that turn them off at first (graphics, in the case of older games). In conclusion, maybe Wave Racer sucks, but it's awesome that you got towards the end before you made that decision.

I've always had a similar problem, particularly with graphics. I'm trying to get better, too. I have two early Phantasy Star games just sitting there on my Wii, waiting to be played. It's weird, because I was playing games when the Master System type graphics were the norm, but I have to retrain my expectations I think.

Wow, that's really horrible. Thanks for reminding me why I should have my internet access revoked by the King.

That was actually the opposite of my intention. You have one of the best defined personalities I've seen on the internet and many of my favorite forum moments have been your ripping apart a game that you don't enjoy. Keep it up.

I have never had that issue with graphics, but some seemingly minor quibbles with pacing or controls or difficulty or even a bad menu system are things that I really need to struggle through even if the rest of the game is completely amazing. I love Borderlands. It's amazing. But the menus on PC are goddamned horrible. To the point that I once accidentally dropped my amazing shield unit in the middle of a firefight and couldn't get it back because navigating the menu was so counter-intuitive. It took me two weeks to go back to the game after that despite everything else being fucking amazing. All it takes is one thing. I need to let games get away with a little bit more shit, because it's turned me off some great experiences.

I have never had that issue with graphics, but some seemingly minor quibbles with pacing or controls or difficulty or even a bad menu system are things that I really need to struggle through even if the rest of the game is completely amazing. I love Borderlands. It's amazing. But the menus on PC are goddamned horrible. To the point that I once accidentally dropped my amazing shield unit in the middle of a firefight and couldn't get it back because navigating the menu was so counter-intuitive. It took me two weeks to go back to the game after that despite everything else being fucking amazing. All it takes is one thing. I need to let games get away with a little bit more shit, because it's turned me off some great experiences.

I have the same issue. I don't mind dated graphics much at all, but shitty interface issues like that are absolutely unbearable to me. If it's a main menu issue and there's a console-like start screen, I don't care. That bothers some people, but I don't mind. When it's part of the actual game though, Jesus Christ I can't stand it. I simply couldn't play Borderlands as a result. Those are the absolute worst in-game menus I can remember.

Speaking of Borderlands, I'm sort of expecting there to have been:

a) An outrage from all PC players about the ridiculous UI

B)

A promise of a patch that fixes everything.

Does anyone know if (when?) such a patch is expected? I don't know where all the cool kids go for their Borderlands news, but it would be sad to finish the game the day before they fix the UI and make it awesome. I'd consider delaying my continued playing if such a patch had been announced.

Speaking of Borderlands, I'm sort of expecting there to have been:

a) An outrage from all PC players about the ridiculous UI

B)

A promise of a patch that fixes everything.

Does anyone know if (when?) such a patch is expected? I don't know where all the cool kids go for their Borderlands news, but it would be sad to finish the game the day before they fix the UI and make it awesome. I'd consider delaying my continued playing if such a patch had been announced.

The game has been patched a couple times, but I haven't gone back to it to see if those particular issues were addressed. As it turns out, I wasn't that into the actual game itself either, or I may have put more effort into dealing with the interface.

The game has been patched a couple times, but I haven't gone back to it to see if those particular issues were addressed. As it turns out, I wasn't that into the actual game itself either, or I may have put more effort into dealing with the interface.

I don't know if the game was even more horrible at release, but it doesn't seem like they've fixed anything about the UI. According to the Steam update news, there was an 1.0.1 update on November 17th, but in my experience Steam's update news is only updated when they have nothing else to do.

I tried going to their website to see if they had a forum, a community or something, but all I found was a huge Flash, and then a crazy guy jumped in and exploded my speakers before I could select which of the listed countries I was'nt in.

I think a consistently valid rule for visiting game websites is that, if you start by selecting your country, there isn't going to be anything more than a trailer and some screenshots on there.

That was actually the opposite of my intention. You have one of the best defined personalities I've seen on the internet and many of my favorite forum moments have been your ripping apart a game that you don't enjoy. Keep it up.

:tup::tup::tup:

toblix, you are far too harsh on yourself. Your threads are among the best.

I simply couldn't play Borderlands as a result. Those are the absolute worst in-game menus I can remember.

Maybe because I'm playing it on console, I have very low expectations of menus anyway. I think Mass Effect had worse ones, but yes, having to confirm even trivial purchases individually in BL is annoying.

I kind of wish there was a new Wave Race, I loved Blue storm as one of the first games I had on my gamecube (I sucked at it), although a new 1080 would be even better!

NOTE: This post was created by doing a forum search on threads started by Toblix. You're fucking awesome, 'blix. Never change.

I swear there was a dirtier one than "Splinter Cell: Double Anal," but it's possible I may have been just thinking of "Splinter Cell: Double Anal."

In conclusion, maybe Wave Racer sucks, but it's awesome that you got towards the end before you made that decision.

It was fun until I realized how much I truly suck at it. I'm really at the very last circuit of the World Series before I get to see the ending. Technically, I have already beaten the game, because there's a whole different mode where you race through pylons that I have beaten all the way to the credits. That was much easier because even on the hardest levels, instead of rubberbanding AI, I had computer opponents becoming completely blind to levels with tons of pylons, so while they raced in circles, I just went through the flags all alone, racking up a huge score.

I like to take my 15 minute breaks at work to play handheld games in the stairwell, but this cartridge has been in my gameboy for over a month now. I still didn't remove it yet. Maybe next week I'll give up.

Wave Race was awesome! My sister got it with her Game Boy Pocket and I played the shit out of it. Huge learning curve, but once you get to grips with all of its bullshit it's an absolute blast. Probably the first game that had me chasing times.

Can you give me some tips on how to beat it? I really seem to be screwing up on the 800cc races on the last four courses of the World Series. Course 4 was always a bitch, and I usually just let myself get last place, while doing great on the other races, but now I'm screwed. If there's some trick to beating the 4th Course where I don't lose control when turning (this will help on other zig zag courses) I would be grateful for any help. The biggest problem I have on Course 4, is because everyone's speed doesn't die down until the last two laps on the last circuit, I can't catch up on the zig zag part at the end. Everyone drives faster than me before and knocks me out of the way before hand or there's no way for me to use nitro while zig zagging without losing control. I always have way too much nitro leftover in that course.

I can vaguely remember some horrible zig-zag thing, but I don't know if I beat it or not, especially on the top tier.

Might have to dig out the cartridge and play it on my DS :)