Sign in to follow this  
twmac

Community/Indie games

I have started writing a bit about some of the Indie games that I have enjoyed on my Blog.

The first post is about Beat Hazard.

I am trying to interview some of the guys who made the games so I'll hopefully be posting those later on.

As an aside Dopelganger, Platformance: Castle Pain and Protect me Knight are both worth playing. Dopelganger is a nicely drawn defender clone, Platformance is a punishing platformer which uses the Castlevania zooming effect and Protect Me knight is a 4 player tower defence game with leveling up features

The game me and a friend made is out and for sale in the iTunes app store! It's totally indie, because we made it in our spare time and in my bedroom (hot). Less indie is that it costs money, but I hope it's still worth your time!

It runs on pretty much on any iPhone and iTouch, as long as it's iOS 3.0 or higher.

The game me and a friend made is out and for sale in the iTunes app store! It's totally indie, because we made it in our spare time and in my bedroom (hot). Less indie is that it costs money, but I hope it's still worth your time!

It runs on pretty much on any iPhone and iTouch, as long as it's iOS 3.0 or higher.

You know, I honestly wouldn't normally do this, but I feel in that kinda mood. I'm gonna give this a Day One Perch.

edit: this shit better be good, poo.

edit: haha, this is actually pretty cool.

Sadly, I do not have the means to purchase this or else I would.

I finished my breakdown of my 'Xbox LIVE Summer of Indie games', most of the developers very politely agreed to interviews (I linked the Brendon Chung one in the Flotilla thread).

For those interested:

Breath of Death VII

Leave Home

Tobe's Vertical adventure

Beat Hazard

Flotilla

All got my vote.

You know, I honestly wouldn't normally do this, but I feel in that kinda mood. I'm gonna give this a Day One Perch.

edit: this shit better be good, poo.

edit: haha, this is actually pretty cool.

Thanks, man! :D

I love the fact you can actually turn off the banter. I haven't, but it made me laugh that you could. This is a Thumbs game, through and through.

Mind you, any of you who check it out, also tell me when you think it sucks and why. Always useful to know. We'll likely be adding and changing some stuff with an update. Game Center support and all that.

It works on a 1st gen iTouch. The game recognizes what hardware you are running and disables certain effects to make the game run smoother. We're clever like that. :grin:

Still need iOS 3.0 or above though!

Well, one thing that sucks is that it doesn't have Game Center support.

You already bought it, so I don't care anymore what you think. :blink:

:grin:

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

oooh, i misunderstood! i always keeps my OS up to day:) i'll check it out this evening.

Mind you, any of you who check it out, also tell me when you think it sucks and why. Always useful to know. We'll likely be adding and changing some stuff with an update. Game Center support and all that.

I think the guy you control needs to be moved up a little bit, I keep losing him/her under my thumb.

Also when I move to the left/right edge, I try to tap the guy and it jogs him to the side, meaning I miss the ball. :(

I think the guy you control needs to be moved up a little bit, I keep losing him/her under my thumb.

Also when I move to the left/right edge, I try to tap the guy and it jogs him to the side, meaning I miss the ball. :(

It's tough, because the further we move the paddles up, the more playing field we lose. For singleplayer at least, we're thinking about moving the entire center of the playing field up, since the AI doesn't need the space anyway.

You are right about the boost thing. That's not intended, the deadzone for a quick tap is supposed to be a bit larger than that I think. We'll have to patch that.

Your game is a lot of fun Poo! I'll try out 2 player wth my brother this evening if he is over. I do like the banter, esp the broken microphone. The changes in speed as boosts and special blocks really keeps you on your toes. Also, the game loads really quickly. i love that. i don't like waiting around to play someting on my pod. I've only played a dozen levels, but the one that stood out is the one with the one way gates on the upper right and bottom left, a whole lot of fun as the balls cycled through.

Since you are a thumb, and therefore i assume wanting of constructive criticism, here are some issues i have (the issues seem much longer than the things i like, but really they don't in anyway outweigh the fun i'm having - i'm gonna play it a lot more, and i'm pretty brutal with my ipod games so you done good:))

I'm getting the exact same issue as Speedy with the controls, and i have pretty small fingers. I'm in a constant battle to either see the bat or fall off the edge of the screen.

The difficulty is a bit funny too:P Easy was hella easy, and normal is getting pretty hard - thouhg maybe thats just me getting muddled with the controls as everything gets faster.

I'd love to know which blocks are going to regenerate before i hit them. Identical blocks behave differently on some levels. (Am i correct in saying this?).

The way the balls stick to the walls and eachother for a split second was disconcerting at first, but i quite like the way they work now.

2 bugs/fixes

I won one game by hitting his side only once with a flaming ball right in the top right corner. I hadn't hit it before and his barrier still showed as fully intact. I didn't notice what his energy bar at the side said.

It can be a little easy to get the ball going horizontal and i'm not 100% sure if it eventually decays out of it (when things get hectic it can be hard to check for sure:P).

Nice, thanks a lot. All of that is quite useful. :tup:

And you are correct that respawn times vary, depending on the level. :yep:

If you do finish it, then I hope you like the trophies. :D

Eh? Definitely not. Do not worry, I'm not made of glass. :grin: I'm aware of what it is, this game. I don't have any illusions about what me and my buddy have created. :) I just want to improve what we have so that I can move on and work on something new.

Yep. :grin: I'm probably going to redo all of the portraits in the near future, so maybe that'll get fixed too. :grin:

PM me any further feedback, though. Don't want to further hijack this thread.

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

If you do finish it, then I hope you like the trophies. :D

Win! Loved it:D