Sign in to follow this  
Kolzig

Shenmue Online for Pc

http://pc.ign.com/articles/535/535405p1.html

According to this IGN news article, Sega is working on an online version of the RPG Shenmue, and will be releasing the game on the PC. According to IGN the game will feature "virtual recreations of areas from 1980s Hong Kong and China and promises to allow tens of thousands of players to assume the role of militants, using martial arts, Chinese weapons and other powers in real-time fighting sequences". Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki is supervising the project, which is being developed at South Korean online developer JC Entertainment. A Korean beta test will start later this year, with the game expected to be launched there and in China early 2005. It's not known when or if the game will be released in North America. Shenmue was originally conceived as a sixteen chapter single player experience (with only two games released so far) so this is certainly an unexpected project.

MMO Fighting games would be a natural progression for the fighter genre...but it doesn't have much to do with the Shenmue story line or characters, does it? Thats not really a problem, the games weren't that great anyway.

The only thing worse than another Shenmu game is a multiplayer Shenmu game where everyone can walk around being 'nice but tough'.

Puke.

It'll probably end up being a MMOG where everyone just goes to the arcade for 5 hours while waiting for the next event.

But that would be kind of cool, wouldn't it? A MMO game with your persona going around the a huge city's arcades and playing all of sega's classics in tournaments or what not. I guess it wouldn't stand on it own, it'd need a moniker to trick the person buiyng the game.... :shifty:

@manny:

i actually wanted to code a game like that ... pretty much a semi-futuristic city where u can just go around playing arcade games, drinking, play darts/pool/snooker/other bar games, cards, etc. there'd be no leveling up, but u would win prestigue points or something for winning each game. i thought it was a cool enuff idea (and certainly quite refreshing after the rush of generic mmorpg's) but i dont really have the time, infrastructure, or media to do it. code wise though, i think i could handle it

SiN

The problem is, you'd want arcade games that already exist, so you'd have to pay quite a few companies to put together something really massive.

Unless you wanted to make your own, which would be hit or miss and overly difficult.

So I don't think a small team could feasibly get everything together to make a game like this. But I think a company like Treasure (Ikaruga, Bangai-O etc.) could really do something spectacular with this concept, and they just might be crazy enough to try it too.

Something that'd be really cool is a Pong based MMOG. You can choose to be either a ball or a bat. If you're a ball, you have to avoid the bats and reach one of the walls, which would get you rewards such as speed bonuses, or smallerness or the power to break bats or join other balls to form a mega ball, and if you're a bat, you have to choose from two sides, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Your goal is to protect your side from the ball attacks, and rewards give you bonuses such as more length and maybe ultimately the power to move in two dimensions. You could also join together with other bats to form mega bats that could take on the mega balls. There could be clans and everything, and a storyline you could affect! And special arenas for ball vs ball action!

Shenmue Online trailer is the cheesiest thing I've seen in my life. In fact it's giving me gas (I'm lactose intolerant)