Moosferatu

Steam away from home

Recently I've felt like playing a good rpg, so the other day I decided to get The Witcher and give it a shot. The only problem is that I'm currently traveling for work, and the hotel that I'm staying at has a shitty internet connection. I think I could do it in a few hours at work, but I'm not sure how closely they monitor their network and I'm afraid it'd be considered inappropriate use. I could go someplace like Panera, but I wonder how fast their connections are and I'd feel a little bad being that guy hogging all the bandwidth. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get 14.5 gigs onto my computer? Does anyone else have experience downloading Steam games away from home?

14.5Gb is pretty big; it would take you forever at a public wifi spot like Panera or Starbucks. Maybe you could just ask someone at work if it would be ok for you to do this? Otherwise, I got nothing.

14.5Gb is pretty big; it would take you forever at a public wifi spot like Panera or Starbucks. Maybe you could just ask someone at work if it would be ok for you to do this? Otherwise, I got nothing.

I second this. I was in Taiwan on research earlier in the year and I decided to download Half-Life 2 for the millionth time. It was significantly less than 14.5gb but it did take ages. Maybe if you're getting work done in the Starbucks it won't be too bad?

Hotel internet sucks, period. I practically live on the road, that is why my PSP, DS and iPod Touch are so important to me. Plus, my work laptop is terrible.

Pinball Fantasies and Flight Control on the iPhone saved my life during business trips. Especially during those long hours at the airport.

Argh!!!! This hotel sucks! I was patiently downloading the game over a period of days, and had finally gotten within sight of the finish. Then, my computer got banned from the network. I called tech support, and got my internet back but still decided not to continue downloading the game further that day. In the evening, I started watching an extremely short flash video, and I got banned again! Argh! I can understand them trying to protect the network for the good of all of the guests, but, seriously, are there only two settings?

Since you use bandwidth, you must be some sort of a prevert. I am surprised they haven't called the FBI on you yet.

You'd have thought. Actually, while I was talking to the guy on the phone this morning he told me that they don't want people watching videos at all. I guess I should fire up w3m.

That aside, I download the little that was left at work today. Naturally, the game doesn't even work. I was trying to run it in Crossover Office. But, all is not lost. I figured out how to install WeiDU mods for BGII in OSX while I was waiting for The Witcher to download, so I think I'll just play that.