BigJKO

Monty Python on Jimmy Fallon

Glad to see Gilliam throwing in the tidbit about his American citizenship (it's pretty much the only 'interview-y' bit in there). Then I saw the next segment...

"Monty Python's Eric Idle performs "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" with The Roots."

...whimper

ehhhh the whole thing came across as being horribly pre-scripted to me :fart:

ehhhh the whole thing came across as being horribly pre-scripted to me :fart:

Sour puss.. :deranged:

This ^

He had a peculiar rictus after the scripted event that was the chair too. After the anchor sat down with a self-satisfied sigh, like he was 'getting involved' with 'the funny' - I had to turn it off. Painful.

Man, tough crowd. It just looked to me like a talk show host who isn't in the top tier but who is clearly a massive fan of the Pythons got some of his idols to come on his show and participate in a skit with him. Fine it wasn't the cleverest or most well-executed thing they've ever done, but Fallon was clearly thrilled and grateful for the opportunity, it wasn't joyless or dry, and they all seemed to have a good time. Give it a rest.

And as far as Idle playing with the Roots...what exactly is so distasteful about that? They're the house band on the show. You've got a solo musician who's going to play a song, and an entire band whose running function in that scenario is to provide accompaniment. Is there something wrong there?

And as far as Idle playing with the Roots...what exactly is so distasteful about that? They're the house band on the show. You've got a solo musician who's going to play a song, and an entire band whose running function in that scenario is to provide accompaniment. Is there something wrong there?

I was joking (and didn't say it was 'distasteful') about the whimper, and I understand that it comes with The Roots position as the house band. I was more playing on the cheeky, out-of-context silliness of the two names appearing together.

That said, it felt much stiffer than the rest of the show (which I had no real problem with), and you had the odd ending of the other 3 Pythons sitting around with not much to do.

And, well, I really don't like 'Always Look on The Bright Side of Life', and most of Idle's songs. So I suppose that comes into it.

To add some positivity from my corner, the Roots gave the best performance I have ever seen live, 2008, North Sea Jazz Festival, Rotterdam.