Garple

freeware + gamepad

Another thread where I ask for advice/suggestions (sorry). I recently got the madcatz fightpad (it's pretty, it has Ken from SF on it) and I found out I can also plug it into my computer. What are some good freeware/indie games I can play with a gamepad? So far I've discovered that this is possible with Cave Story and You Found the Grappling Hook.

Note: the game has a d-pad (which can function as an analog stick) and no thumbsticks, so twin-stick shooters are out of the question.

Does Spelunky provided joystick support? Knytt stories? I can't remember. I would think any of the "larger" indie platformers would.

Spelunky does, it takes a while to get your head round the best configuration, though. I think I accidentally killed myself about four times from pushing the wrong button before giving up last time. Maybe I'm just stupid and can't play a video game.

I guess every Source mod does, but that's basically irrelevant. I was going to say that Blueberry Garden doesn't and Lunnye Devitsy does, but then I remembered that I paid for them :getmecoat

If you don't mind doing a little setting up first joy2key should let you play most games with your gamepad even if they're not supported.

By God, you're right. Thanks. No further input is required, gentlemen.

Ooh! I just got a Fightpad too! Mine had Chun-Li!

Thanks for the link it's going to be very helpful! :yep:

Spelunky does, it takes a while to get your head round the best configuration, though. I think I accidentally killed myself about four times from pushing the wrong button before giving up last time. Maybe I'm just stupid and can't play a video game.

Accidentally killing yourself is part of the Spelunky experience, it has nothing to do with your controller.

I know you found a way to get a gamepad to work with keyboard controls, but An Untitled Story is a pretty awesome metroidvania freeware thingy that supports gamepad:

http://mattmakesgames.com/games.php

(3rd row, on the left)

edit: I see it's already been mentioned over here

http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/showpost.php?p=110615&postcount=35

All this talk of controllers made me snap a couple pics to share:

4002025411_2ff981600d.jpg

These are some of my various controllers (most of which can connect to my PC...the exception there being the wiimote, nunchuck, and Super Famicom classic controller for the Wii (plugged into the Wii-Remote...originally sold by the Nintendo Fun club or whatever it is in Japan...though I had to ebay the thing)...the other Super Famicom controller is a standard SFC controller that I can hook to my PC with an adapter (and the SNES controller is also one that I bought recently sealed in its original box...I've got another that is in more pristine condition still sealed up in my closet). The nearer Saturn style controller is a USB Saturn controller and the more distant one is a PS2 Saturn controller that Sega made way back when. The Capcom SF4 pads remind me a lot of the old Saturn controllers and that was what inspired me to post this.

4002788114_efa4ae2dab.jpg

This also comes in handy as well (I've tested it and its got no lag on my PC and PS3 (using a Pelican adapter)...I have a 360 adapter that seems to be lagless for it (an XFPS360) based on my testing...though its a pain to setup). I replaced the buttons and stick with Happ parts and managed to get ahold of a "chrome" plastic sleeve with another joystick that is identical to the ones IL used to make for the Super sticks (like the one I have)...so it has that nice Neo Geo cabinet look to it (a lot of SF2 machines here in WV seemed to have those same sticks...which is why I went that route...familiarity).

4002787762_6e757ef746.jpg

I need to clean my desk so I can actually use the nice flight sim setup I have...I need to cleanup the floor too.

I like X arcade stuff a lot, looks damn sweet, I use a standard SF4 stick at the moment, gonna mod it if my uni want to give me money (I doubt they will).

Dammit, that X-Arcade makes me feel guilty. I'm building my own stick and I've had all the components for months now, but I have yet to start the construction. Procrastination and all that.

I hooked up my PS3 controller to my PC, which was a bit of fiddling around in Windows 7, but I got it to work and it's pretty great.

Also, Runman: Race Around the World should be playable with a controller.

Dammit, that X-Arcade makes me feel guilty. I'm building my own stick and I've had all the components for months now, but I have yet to start the construction. Procrastination and all that.

I hooked up my PS3 controller to my PC, which was a bit of fiddling around in Windows 7, but I got it to work and it's pretty great.

Also, Runman: Race Around the World should be playable with a controller.

Don't feel too bad. The guys on the Shoryuken forums would hate my stick and proclaim that despite my scientific measurements based on the tools they recommend that I'm wrong and seeing things (or alternatively that I was one of the lucky people to get some of the "good" adapters). I'll be the first to admit that the XBox adapter I have is horribly laggy and I never used the fucker...but everything else I got seems fine. That all having been said; if you build one from scratch you are more hardcore about this shit than I am likely. The idea of using power tools to craft my own personal stick scares the hell out of me...mostly the power tools part (shooting pistols at paper targets doesn't bother me (its one of my crazy hobbies))...but saws and cutting instruments scare the holy hell out of me like nothing else and the idea of using them makes me nervous for some reason.

Edit: Oh and they'd also hate that I used Happ parts instead of Sanwa stuff and that I used concave buttons (I'm used to the arcade machines of my youth and I see those as being "right"...though I'm not using the harder to press concave buttons...I did get the ones that press directly down on the microswitches...and I'm not sure if those are what I used way back when...hell way back when a lot of machines still had leaf switches and I've been tempted to build a joystick with Wico leaf switch buttons and a Wico stick with the same switches).

Edited by Vorlonesque

It's a matter of taste what kinda buttons/layout you prefer, really. I've always been of the opinion to do what feels right for you. I got Sanwa parts myself, just because they're so light to press.

I've heard about the input lag problems with the X-Arcade adaptors, but the box is still a nice one. :) You can always choose to replace its guts if you're compelled to do so. :mock:

Can you still get those leaf switches easily? Can't recall ever seeing them.