ThunderPeel2001

If you're under 18, gaming is about to suck for you

If you're in the UK, that is:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6212182.html?tag=topslot;thumb;2

In short: The harsher PEGI ratings are about to become legal. Think you have to be 12 years old to play Mass Effect? Think again, little man. Try 18.

This might have the knock-on effect that the insane US cinema rating system has: Everything is toned down to reach a "wider audience". (Well, in the case of the US cinema, not "everything", just swearing and sex, but you get the idea.)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

If you're in the UK, that is:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6212182.html?tag=topslot;thumb;2

In short: The harsher PEGI ratings are about to become legal. Think you have to be over 12 to play Mass Effect? Think again, little man. Try 18.

This might have the knock-on effect that the insane US cinema rating system has: Everything is toned down to reach a "wider audience". (Well, in the case of the US cinema, not "everything", just swearing and sex, but you get the idea.)

Maybe things will get cut out of the game in development, or MAYBE they'll get edited afterwards, hopefully with better treatment

I've been in favor of that, but I never saw it's implication the way you put them ThunderPeel, I am officially dumb.

But on the other hand, call me an old fart if you like but seing 10 yo kids playing GTA was kind of bugging me, just because parents don't know and sellers don't care as long as they sell PEGI meant nothing...

It's good that they're taking the inconsistency out of things, but it does look like PEGI is a bit too harsh when it comes to things like swearing. I don't like GameSpot's assertion that PEGI will rate any game with a single swear in as 16+. I've just had a quick look through GAME and some of the games rated 16+ are a bit questionable, such as Fight Night Round 4.

On the flip side, more games have high BBFC ratings than I thought. I've just gone through the Xbox 360's 'Action' category and more often than not it's a 15 or 18 rating from the BBFC. I don't think it'll actually have that much of an affect on most proper hardcore action games because most of them have legally binding high ratings anyway.

I guess as long as parents continue buying games for their kids — I can't see this changing — they'll still have access to all the action games they like.

It still feels kind of ridiculous when the clerk asks for my ID when I'm trying to buy e.g. Mass Effect or the new Gears of War.

I've been in favor of that, but I never saw it's implication the way you put them ThunderPeel, I am officially dumb.

But on the other hand, call me an old fart if you like but seing 10 yo kids playing GTA was kind of bugging me, just because parents don't know and sellers don't care as long as they sell PEGI meant nothing...

GTA was already legally rated 18 in the UK :erm:

There's another problem in that PEGI is Europe wide (although it's only legally enforced in certain countries). Every European country and different ideas of how things should be rated for their society... how is this going to work, I wonder?

A further problem is that, if the ratings are too harsh (as in the PEGI rating for Mass Effect), parents will get used to disregarding them... making them worthless. Games that are excessively violent/adult like COD4 or GTA -- which should NOT be played by anyone under 15 in my opinion -- may as well have no ratings because they'll just be ignored along with Mass Effect's.

-- which should NOT be played by anyone under 15 in my opinion --

Why? Not trying to flame, I'm actually curious.

Why? Not trying to flame, I'm actually curious.

Why adult subject should not be exposed to child contact ? Would you really like GTA to become a pink and cuddly game ?

It's to protect the games of course ! From the evil child who would destroy them !

Why adult subject should not be exposed to child contact ? Would you really like GTA to become a pink and cuddly game ?

It's to protect the games of course ! From the evil child who would destroy them !

Lol! That's definitely one way of looking at it :)

I think that the ultra realistic POV opening to COD4 is pretty extreme: You're beaten, driven through a war-torn city where you witness civilians being rounded up and executed. Then you're tied to a pole and then executed yourself... all in ultra-realistic first person. In your first mission you're told to shoot and kill, not just unarmed, but sleeping, crewmen. I just don't think that's appropriate for an 8 year old. Call me crazy.

Nothing wrong with the PEGI rating, but abusing it as a system of limiting is wrong. A 18+ rating doesn't mean your body has to be physical 18 years old. It means that the content is suitable for with a maturity which is generally associated with people of the age 18 and up, and maybe not very suitable for people who haven't reached that level of maturity.

But, 18 for Mass Effect does sound a bit harsh.

Speaking of Mass Effect, isn't there meant to be an explicit sex scene in that? Or was that just a media hoo-hah?

just some shadow puppetry, nothing explicit, no nipples, an average TV show as more nudity

Nothing wrong with the PEGI rating, but abusing it as a system of limiting is wrong. A 18+ rating doesn't mean your body has to be physical 18 years old. It means that the content is suitable for with a maturity which is generally associated with people of the age 18 and up, and maybe not very suitable for people who haven't reached that level of maturity.

But, 18 for Mass Effect does sound a bit harsh.

As in the violence discussion, there is no systemic threshold to determine the level of maturity, therefore you have to take a stance, and as always with governments, they would rather have people feeling frustrated than the other way round.

I just don't think that's appropriate for an 8 year old. Call me crazy.

Hey, Crazy, could you tell me in what way it is not appropriate, why and what is actually appropriate <3.

I'd agree that Call of Duty definitely has some stuff younger people shouldn't be seeing. I can very easily see how the execution scene in Modern Warfare could disturb some people, but that's nowhere near as bad as the throat slitting that goes on at the beginning of World at War. It's just a bit macabre.

I'd agree that Call of Duty definitely has some stuff younger people shouldn't be seeing.

That or shouldn't they be doing it ?

The UK seems to have a history of toning down imports, but I can't think of too many specifics outside of some edited DVDs, No More Heroes, and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, but hopefully this doesn't turn into someone proposing to fine someone large amounts for selling to someone below the intended age range.

As in the violence discussion, there is no systemic threshold to determine the level of maturity, therefore you have to take a stance, and as always with governments, they would rather have people feeling frustrated than the other way round.

boing-flip, apply that exact same argument to the reason to apply this regulation in the first place.

boing-flip, apply that exact same argument to the reason to apply this regulation in the first place.

Don't worry i did my homework when i first posted it. I'm accounting for the existence of this argument not defending its logic... ^^

It feels so good to be past the age where these things matter.

Yeah, but what about your (future) kids?

Luckily I'll be 18 in less than a month, so don't really give a fuck about this anymore. I suppose it's good to have unified ratings, maybe parents will actually pay attention to them.

Yeah, but what about your (future) kids?

Fuck them !

No... Wait, don't !