Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

Grand Thumb Fortress!

I agree with Dan. It was very close, and definitely the most thrilling match I've played of L4D yet.

The close scoring was indicative of how well matched our teams were, with you guys pulling ahead through consistently better coordination as Infected on your part in my opinion (though we did really enjoy wreaking havok when it did come together for us).

I don't think I've played Versus on Death Toll either, myself. Thinking about playing as Infected in those tunnels already has me grinning like a loon...

I'm not a fan of Survival though. I like something with a definite goal, so time attack style games don't really appeal to me usually.

I guess my pessimism makes me more critical of my own mistakes when playing in each role. Still, the opposition seemed to get further in almost all stages, by quite some margin in a couple of instances (their tank got us all at the beginning of chapter 4, for example).

(I will never forget my 200m black-and-white hobble along the train tracks, only to have my neck snapped in the safe room doorway. I didn't even know there was a neck-snap sound effect up until that moment).

Oh, you didn't make it? I was wondering why the safe room was open. You were all the way at the other end of the bridge by the time I managed to find my way to the near end (I was the tank), and I decided my only chance at helping was to throw a rock, but I think the round ended as I was doing so, and I just assumed you'd made it. I guess I don't pay close enough attention. What got you, and as what?

I was quite pleased with how we were doing as the survivors on that stage, but it all fell apart between the two houses. I'm convinced of the importance of keeping moving, but that's much easier said than done when people need healing. Still, if the Infected can keep doing just enough damage to cause you to go back and regroup, you never make any progress and eventually you run out of health.

Anyway, as always it left me eager for more.

If anyone other than Dan is interested in Survival, perhaps we could do a little before the main game on Sunday. It's probably a good idea to have a defined cut-off point, anyway, lest you succumb to "just one more try" mentality and find yourself weeping in a corner at five in the morning. Or perhaps that would be too much for one session (if we play versus it approaches two hours anyway). I mean, I'd be OK with it, but I understand some people have balance in their lives or something. Anyway, it's just a suggestion.

Oh, you didn't make it? I was wondering why the safe room was open. You were all the way at the other end of the bridge by the time I managed to find my way to the near end (I was the tank), and I decided my only chance at helping was to throw a rock, but I think the round ended as I was doing so, and I just assumed you'd made it. I guess I don't pay close enough attention. What got you, and as what?

Heh yeah I abandoned my team-mates to your fury and made a break for it.

I think it was Admiral Grippage who got me, as a smoker. He spawned on top of the train car just as I reached it, and wrung my neck. I only had 1 health and was on my third strike, so I died instantly. That was a looong walk though; I kept expecting to see you loom out of the fog behind me.

I short survival game as a warm-up sounds like a good idea.

It's awesome that this thread and the L4D thread are each discussing the other game.

Anyway, warm-up survival sounds good. What a great SUGGESTION. It's joinable whenever, right? So I can be there like 20 minutes before and jump right in that's awesome see you then!

Anyway, warm-up survival sounds good. What a great SUGGESTION. It's joinable whenever, right? So I can be there like 20 minutes before and jump right in that's awesome see you then!

Yep, although if you join mid-round I don't think the time registers in your stats or contributes to your achievements or anything. Which is clearly all you play for.

Hi guys, really enjoyed playing GTA last night. Not sure the idea to turn blips off completely was a good idea, though - didn't spot any of you!

Did any of us check Xbox Live's status when we were playing?

Did any of us check Xbox Live's status when we were playing?

NEVER SATISFIED

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

But no, I didn't. I only have one ethernet cable (coming from my router elsewhere in the house) in the room where my PC and Xbox 360 are, and I was using that to pump you full of lead at the time.

Why, was there a special surprise?

I was just curious as to whether it was still down. I don't know when the whole process started, and how long it actually took in the end. Not that we should have changed our plans, of course. JUST WONDERING.

Impromptu L4D last night was very good, by the by. Just don't tell the Left 4 Thumbs thread. Afterwards non-forum-Dan and friends and I got a gold on a survival map none of us had, too, so it was a satisfying night.

To me it seems like the game least suited to Thumbs playing, because we'll have to be so many people to fill up the teams, and playing with outsiders isn't always as fun, especially if they outnumber us. Both L4D and GTA is fun from 4 players and up.

I'd be happy to have a few games with you, with the provisionary warning that I completely suck. Also the time zones may be a pain in the ass. Of course, my new job has me working evenings, which is when you European folk are asleep, so less of an issue.

My actual jobs keeps me working all night because I often have to video chat with 'ricans so I can cope with the time shit :)

To me it seems like the game least suited to Thumbs playing, because we'll have to be so many people to fill up the teams, and playing with outsiders isn't always as fun, especially if they outnumber us. Both L4D and GTA is fun from 4 players and up.

It also sounds like server considerations are a requirement for TF2 fun, which could be a chore. It's not like you can just hit any server and be assured of a decent setup, with regular map rotation, voting, etc.

I think this has possibly only been an issue once or twice with Left 4 Thumbs, and has been quickly sorted anyway. Having more people to shunt from one server to another would make things more protracted as well.

In short: if we can't get a regular high-number turnout and have a reliable server on which to play, it seems people are suggesting TF2 might not be very enjoyable.

Well I'll join in if people are going to have another go at it, but it doesn't seem like a game you play with people you know unless it's a clan with tactics and all that crazy nonsense.

Well, I've been willing to punch you in the face for such a long time James that I don't see how this game is not the perfect place for my urges and your face to meet.

You could always friendly-fire me to death in L4D, or stab me in the head in GTA.

the perfect place for my urges and your face to meet

This phrase is delightful and dangerous.

You could always friendly-fire me to death in L4D

I still can't find out if that shit's compatible with Crossover's shit and I'm not spending 30€s to find that out

or stab me in the head in GTA.

There's a 360 at the office but I'm not enjoying GTA4 that much