Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

Glastonbury

Ported from the YouTube thread:

It's pretty shitty that having a hip-hop artist at Glastonbury created such a fuss.

I think it's because Glastonbury is hippy, not hip-hop - sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll, not guns, bitches and bling.

Personally, I've no qualms about hip-hop, rap or any other "urban" genre (however you choose to skewer it) appearing at Glasto. But I thought giving Jay-Z headline billing was a fucking stupid idea - totally disconnected and just pasted on top like some cynical marketing trick.

In much the same way, I think giving Status Quo headline billing for this year's festival is fucking stupid. This, too, appears to be another cynical, "get everybody" tactic. More damning is how totally and utterly musically irrelevant they are; at least Jay-Z had contemporary value.

You won't beat Muse in 2004, though, for me. They were absolutely eye-popping, and that was just watching them via TV. So good in fact that I actually tried something other than my strict, 20-something-year diet of Electronica, and started venturing into rock.

QC2F-2H2Piw

The sooner Eavis stops titting about and gets these boys back, so much the better. :tup:

That performance makes me sad, because about an hour after that Dom's dad died ;(

I thought Jay-Z was a stroke of genius, but I think you're right about returning it to modern rock again. That was a sort of one off, and Status Quo will be awful these days (not that I particularly liked them in the first place).

I must admit that although I'm really excited about Glasto this year, I was disappointed to see Dizzee Rascal and Lady Gaga on the fucking lineup. And Prodigy and Blur clashing WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH sort it out.

Is anybody from here going to Glastonbury btw?

Jay Z was fucking appalling, sure have him as an act but don't make him a headliner surely. And the intro to his set got applauded by critics but I thought it was incredibly embarrassing and shit. But maybe that's just me. It kept the n00bs congregated in one place for a while so I guess I don't care too much.

Edited by Yufster

With Jay Z lots of people went and saw him and everyone seemed to say it was a really good set, and it opened their eyes up to something new, also you had massive attack on at the same time (who were fucking amazing). Plus the top headliners are only about 5% of the reason I (and lots of others) go to there.

DID loads of people open up their eyes to something new, Ginger? Jay Z is mainstream, I can name several of his songs right now and hum them and I don't like him or his music, and I don't have a tv or radio so fuck knows how I got exposed to them - but I did. I don't think anybody discovered something new from Jay Z being there.

But then given some of the shitty headliners this year I don't think it matters really.

And I just looked up Status Quo... jesus christ.

Is anybody from here going to Glastonbury btw?

Every year I mean to go to the following one, as I live only a few miles away (as the crow flies) and can see the Tor from the hill behind my house.

But I still haven't as yet. This is partly down to bad planning, partly due to having a young family, but mostly due to the fact that there aren't many acts I really want to see as a rule. :hmph:

10 years ago, I would've chewed my own arm off to see Prodigy. Nowadays, I imagine people will polite nod along whilst they traipse through their newer stuff, knowingly delaying the inevitable furore that'll erupt when they finally give in and start dropping stuff like Out of Space.

And that just doesn't get me fired up. Similarly, I can't imagine Orbital's grand return to festivals this year as being anything particularly noteworthy. Their later stuff was shit, and the brothers' independent stuff since has been merely passable.

I digress, as Orbital won't be at Glastonbury, but I'm trying to illustrate where I'm coming from; there's relatively little I could justify paying for the whole weekend to see. And there's no point going if you don't do the whole thing either in my opinion.

Still, if any of you do venture into deepest Somerset in a few weeks, you're welcome to stop in for tea at Chez Vania. :tup:

Their later stuff was shit, and the brothers' independent stuff since has been merely passable.

But I really like Paul Hartnoll's solo album. Oh well.

I was disappointed to see Dizzee Rascal and Lady Gaga on the fucking lineup. And Prodigy and Blur clashing WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH sort it out.

Dizzee Rascal is fantastic live, saw him supporting the Prodigy in april, who are one of the best acts I have ever seen; which is surprising as I am a pretty exclusive rock and metal person, I'd suggest more of prodigy and less of blur. Is it bad I have been to glastonbury festival twice and don't remember it... no cos I was like 3-4.

I have no idea what Blur is playing since their reunion with Graham, but 13 and Think Tank are top notch in my opinion. The other stuff not so much.

I'm a dirty anglophile and none of this has much to do with me. So I'll shut up now.

But I really like Paul Hartnoll's solo album. Oh well.

Do you mean Long Range? I liked it the first few times I listened to it, but haven't felt the need to go back and I very rarely find myself humming one of the tracks.

Hence "passable", but that's just my opinion.

You won't beat Muse in 2004, though, for me. They were absolutely eye-popping, and that was just watching them via TV. So good in fact that I actually tried something other than my strict, 20-something-year diet of Electronica, and started venturing into rock.

That was the year I went. By that stage I'd moved on from being a full-on Muse fan (as I was in my teenage years), but I was quite near the front and it was as much fun as any of the other times I saw them live (better than when I later saw them at Wembley, which was pretty limp, although that may have been because I was seated and about a billion miles from the stage). Apparently some guy shat himself not too far from me, although that might just have been people making stuff up. And I lost the raincoat that I'd bought at the festival a day or two before, and afterwards I came back and found it and it's still a bit muddy but I hardly ever use it so I don't bother to properly clean it.

Anyway, that was probably the second-to-last time I forsook self-consciousness and jumped around at a concert. The last was when I saw DJ Scotch Egg in a pub after a whole day of experimental noise stuff.

GLASTONBURY. After I went I said I'd go again, but now I'm not sure I'll ever be bothered.

DID loads of people open up their eyes to something new,

Yes they did, as many I spoke to beforehand were skeptical but said they were going to check it out, you probably didn't talk to any strangers as u were too busy drinking tea in your tent. Furthermore live music has the ability to reach you in a way not possible with studio stuff, I've been captivated by live bands to then be disappointed by their pre-recorded stuff.

Do you mean Long Range? I liked it the first few times I listened to it, but haven't felt the need to go back and I very rarely find myself humming one of the tracks.

No, Long Range is Phil (and another guy). I didn't really like what I heard of that and I did not buy the CD. I'm talking about The Ideal Condition released just under Paul Hartnoll, which is definitely much more easily digestable than Long Range and some of Orbital's darker songs, but has the weird pleasing sounds that I like from most of his past output within Orbital.

There's a trick to enjoying Glastonbury, I think, and that's camping as far away from the Pyramid stage as possible. (Don't tell anyone!)

I'd love to go again this year, I really enjoyed it two years ago.

I gave up on Glasto a few years back. Last year we went to the North Sea Jazz Festival, and Gent Festival (although link seems broken at the mo), the two years before that we went to Sonar. Been to nearly every year of Moor Music Festival, this year have spaces at LLama festival (free! :) ) and probably Beat-Herder. Support your local festivals - Glasto has far more money that it knows what to do with, so spread it around a little. Plus have a super time :):tup:

oooh Eagles of death metal are playing, they are fantastic fun. Note they aren't death metal at all.

Yeh, Nearly did the 10 days off thing when we went to Gent festival and North sea Jazz fest, but all the single day tickets had gone, and I didn't want to buy a block one.

Anyway, that was probably the second-to-last time I forsook self-consciousness and jumped around at a concert. The last was when I saw DJ Scotch Egg in a pub after a whole day of experimental noise stuff.

hhaahah, he's a Brighton Local, used to be part of the Wrong Music crowd. I've spent several evenings in pubs with Mr Scotch Egg (I think his real name is jiggey) can't understand a word he says...

I'm getting homesick for Brighton :(

The guy seems very cool. Everyone was kind of keeping a respectful distance while he set up, but before starting he urged us all to come forward, so we ended up basically surrounding the tiny little table he has all his stuff on. It was great fun. I also saw him support Melt Banana, but I was further away and there was some guy who had somehow wrangled a microphone and was blurting out a fair amount of non-entertaining nonsense until he got removed from the venue, so that was less good (but still good).

Also, I didn't realize that 'Wrong Music' was a Thing.

Yeah, Wrong Music was a night in Brighton as well as a bootleg CD (called 'Now that's what I call Wrong Music') that was setup by a bunch of local electronica musicians.

The two most famous members are DJ Shitmat and DJ Scotch Egg but there were other guys who were also excellent. DJ Scotch Egg had a tendency to busk in the middle of Brighton with random instruments and see how long before he got asked to leave by security/the police.

I think there is still some Wrong music stuff going on but it has become splintered since most of the artists moved away from Brighton. I have fond memories of hanging out at a dive called 'The Volks' and getting drunk with the people involved.

Noooo, I feel unwell!!!! :(

Please let me be better tomorrow, please let me be better tomorrow....

Noooo, I feel unwell!!!! :(

Please let me be better tomorrow, please let me be better tomorrow....

Uh oh! That sucks! I hope you feel better!

Remember: Don't camp anywhere near the Pyramid Stage if you can help it. (I forget it you're a newbie?) Although, it's probably too late now :getmecoat