Sign in to follow this  
syntheticgerbil

Michel Gondry 3.1

Michel Gondry's website is a little bit different now. I just paid for his next DVD collection as well as a art book that is on a roll of toilet paper. Can't wait!

http://www.michelgondry.com/

You can also pay him to draw a picture of you or someone you know if you like.

Just ordered the DVD 2. Shipping was twice the cost of the DVD itself, but that's what you get for living out in the wilderness.

I have heard rumors that the release of his second "Director's Label" DVD was supposed to be officially released through Palm pictures in their next batch of DVD sets, along with Hammer and Tongs and Shinola. Apparently the last three (or four?) Director's Label DVDs didn't sell as well as the original three so the DVD series was completely canceled. I guess it's just as much my fault, since I was only interested in the original three as well.

But thankfully he was nice enough to put it on his website as a direct buy sort of deal.

I also see a placeholder for directly buying Version B of Science of Sleep on DVD, which is currently only available on DVD and Blu-ray France in French only. Here's hoping this means I will have soon have access to a release with English subs.

Spike Jonze and Chris Cunningham are pretty well known ¬¬

I had all three at some point, then saw that there were more and kind of thought "This could go on forever" and stopped buying them. The Spike Jonze one was really disappointing I thought, hardly anything on it. Gondry was definitely the best of the three.

Synthetic, thanks for the pointer to his new one :tup:

Spike Jonze and Chris Cunningham are pretty well known ¬¬

So that would make the "original three" that SynthGerbil mentioned then, and the ones that I've already seen... :)

What about the other four?

Edit: Found them. The second wave of directors were:

Anton Corbijn

Jonathan Glazer

Mark Romanek

Stephane Sednaoui

Yeah I think Romanek and Glazer are well known to a lot of people, but not as much as Cunningham and Spike Jonze. I wasn't personally interested in the last four, but I was hoping they'd get to the Hammer and Tongs DVD set, which I heard rumors they had started work on.

But I think if Version B of Science of Sleep gets released with English subs, it'll show that Gondry is pretty serious about getting his work out and pleasing the fans. I respect that.

Yeah I think Romanek and Glazer are well known to a lot of people, but not as much as Cunningham and Spike Jonze. I wasn't personally interested in the last four, but I was hoping they'd get to the Hammer and Tongs DVD set, which I heard rumors they had started work on.

If they make a series three, they better put Shynola on there. Maybe some Floria Sigismondi for some CanCon.

I have heard rumors that the release of his second "Director's Label" DVD was supposed to be officially released through Palm pictures in their next batch of DVD sets, along with Hammer and Tongs and Shinola.

Wow that's depressing. I would have bought the Hammer and Tongs and Shynola discs in a heartbeat.

Of course I am a shit who didn't buy the earlier discs, so yeah.

Wow that's depressing. I would have bought the Hammer and Tongs and Shynola discs in a heartbeat.

Of course I am a shit who didn't buy the earlier discs, so yeah.

I was especially looking forward to getting a good Hammer and Tongs collection of stuff.

I also probably would have bought the Shynola disc (even though I can't spell their name correctly) because even though I'm not fully familiar with their work, I do like their Blur videos as well as all of the top notch guide animations in the HHGGG movie.

I also probably would have bought the Shynola disc (even though I can't spell their name correctly) because even though I'm not fully familiar with their work, I do like their Blur videos as well as all of the top notch guide animations in the HHGGG movie.

Same. The Guide animations were the one thing I wanted to see more of in that movie, instead of less. (Well, the other thing I wanted to see more of was jokes, character, and story, but those were in such short supply I wished they would just go away and be replaced with more excellent Guide animations and narrations.)

Ok, this is off-topic, BUT! Consider the beautiful simplicity of Gondry's video and the poor production values of this one:

cQo2kf4Y4hQ

It worries me that, despite a funny idea and a brilliant comedic actor doing his best, that simple things like framing, lighting and editing bring this down to the point where it interferes with the comedy... :hmph: (Also: The guy in the background is such a poor actor he can't even look convincing standing still, nevermind his "hilarious" wig - ugh.)

(Also: The guy in the background is such a poor actor he can't even look convincing standing still, nevermind his "hilarious" wig - ugh.)

Hahah, that's Steve Agee. He's on the Sarah Silverman show and was on the old Channel101.com shows, including one series which starred Jack Black. The only good stuff from that site was done by Rob Schrab I think.

But yeah, what was going on with the moving light on the set?

I'm on the Beastie Boys' studio mailing list and I just received this today:

Oscilloscope Laboratories Snatches Up Michel Gondry's THE THORN IN THE HEART

Oscilloscope Laboratories is pleased to announce that we have acquired North American distribution rights to Michel Gondry's documentary, THE THORN IN THE HEART (L'epine dans le coeur), a personal look at the life of Gondry family matriarch, Michel's aunt Suzette Gondry, and her relationship with her son, Jean-Yves. THE THORN IN THE HEART had its world premiere screening in the official selection at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival. Oscilloscope will open the film in theaters, with a DVD and digital release to follow.

Michel examines Suzette's years as a school teacher and her life in rural France. During the course of filming the documentary, Michel unearths new family stories and uses his camera to explore them in a subtle and sensitive way. The film was produced and financed by Partizan Films.

Michel: "So I called up my best friend Etienne and told him, 'Guess who’s distributing my documentary about my aunt?' and he said, 'who?' and I said, 'MCA from Beastie Boys' and Etienne said, 'The Beastie Boy bought your Aunt's documentary?! Get the f*** out of here!' and I said, 'Yeah!!!'"

Adam Yauch, head of Oscilloscope Laboratories said, "Michel is one of the most innovative and creative people in the world. So it's great to see him making a sincere doc on a subject that is so close to his heart. (no pun intended)."