Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Quake Live

It goes into open beta today, which is awesome except...

Position in queue: 12038

:yawn:

Hearing lots of similar complaints today from contacts who've just discovered Quake Live. The official forums are a bloodbath, apparently.

Still, id have confirmed that development of Mac and Linux clients is on-going and already at an advanced stage. All being well, they should appear sometime in the next few weeks. :tup:

Actually pretty fun when you get past the line. I haven't played in a few months, but I'm liking the new skill ranking stuff. 23 hours ago they twittered they have about 8,500 people online at a time out of 290,000 accounts registered so far (3%). That is pretty good despite all the launch hiccups.

They put the que system in but didn't expect it to trigger within minutes like it did, so they were pretty happy they put that in. That would of been gnarly without it though.

who made it to the last door in the difficulty selection then, hands up!

Anyone still playing this?

I'm kind of surprised; I've managed to jump in for a round or two almost every evening of late. What's more, I've been managing to, like, win, several free-for-all matches. I'm certain that that's a result of Quake Live's rather excellent skill matching system, but it's still very unnerving to be rewarded by multiplayer Quake instead of punished.

But yeah, I like it a lot still! However, my friends list is still hovering around 3 or 4, so please add Metallus if you're in there playing!

I haven't logged in since it went more public and had all the recurring server issues for those first few days. They also still seem to be having some (understandable) teething troubles, so I've been waiting for things to calm down again - and the ranking/tiering system to be further tuned - before trying again.

I have to admit I never really was a fan of quake3 back in the day. But I heard Chris mention they're thinking of porting wolfenstein:ET to the quakelive environment so I can't wait for that to happen and really get into this whole quakelive thing.

I never played Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory properly myself, as I don't like playing team games with people I don't know. Relaunching WET in a community portal like the Quake Live platform could be ace, though.