Noyb

Macarena of the Missing

I just finished making my first point-and-click adventure game. Programmed the engine in scratch in Multimedia Fusion, and recorded every single line of dialogue over the course of a month. It's a parody of that Limbo of the Lost game that got in trouble for stealing practically every asset found in the game. Hope you enjoy!

Download (32 megs)

Macarena.png

You are Admiral Horatio Nelson, the hero of the Battle of Trafalgar. After being tragically shot in battle, your soul finds its way to the ethereal dimension of Macarena, where you must settle an old score between Fate and Destiny.

Macarena2.png

Controls:

Left click: Move/Interact/Interrupt (when cursor shows rude gesture)

Double-click on arrows to fast-travel.

Right click: Look

Escape: Bring up save/load menu in-game

M: Toggle overworld music in-game

Macarena3.png

Features:

• Excessively long conversations with NPCs such as the plumber Minestrone or the muscle-bound gun maniac Dick Fallout.
  • The innovative TalkToTheHand dialog interruption system.
  • A single voice actor.
  • Music courtesy of an old three octave Yamaha non-midi keyboard
  • Item based inventory puzzles that skirt the edge of reason.
  • Extreme pixellated closeups.
  • Suspiciously familiar background art, music, and characters

Macarena4.png

Backgrounds:

sergiocornaga - Chess, Hell, Moon

Noyb - All the crappy looking ones

Game Screenshots courtesy of:

FriendlyRhinoceros - Double Fault!

Robson - Debrysis

Oddbob - Dance of the Slightly Misplaced (many)

Pishtaco - S.T.A.C.K.E.R.

Macarena5.png

Edit:Updated download link. Filefront has been pretty delete-happy with my files lately. :shifty:

Edited by Noyb

It's surprisingly tricky! Kind have gotten stuck ^_^; But it's fun, especially the first puzzle. Can't seem to get past Seamus though!

I think the biggest compliment I can give you is that, when I played it last night around midnight, it actually started freaking me out a bit. I kept expecting the most horrible things to pop up :tup:

I think the biggest compliment I can give you is that, when I played it last night around midnight, it actually started freaking me out a bit. I kept expecting the most horrible things to pop up :tup:

Was this after you ran into Puck or "Kirby"? :grin:

And thanks! I was afraid I completely killed the mood with the sparse Yamaha keyboard music.

Oh, and are you still stuck? What puzzles have you solved? Need any hints? (I'm going through a bit of a worry about maybe making it too difficult.)

Biggest worry is that there aren't enough hints that the zombie is guarding a door, and that people won't catch that you can talk to Speedy again to get your rings back. That, and that there's so much dialogue unrelated to the plot and gameplay that hints will just be dismissed as jokes, like the "hammer puzzle."

This is awesome so far. Congrats. Love the Dwarf Fortress reference.

Thanks!

That's actually not Dwarf Fortress, but a donated screenshot from Dysaster, an attempt to demake Crysis into an ASCII game for the same competition. The guy did a pretty good job, too.

Out of curiosity, has anyone beaten it yet? I'm not above giving hints, since I do want people to see the ending, and a few of the puzzles have a twisted logic of abusing Video game mechanics to them.

Oh, haha. Well, either way, the Deus Ex tune made me crack a smile.

I'm stuck on the evolved form of pikachu. Any hints? :yep:

And has anyone here not played Dwarf Fortress yet? It's quite awesome.

Oh, haha. Well, either way, the Deus Ex tune made me crack a smile.

I'm stuck on the evolved form of pikachu. Any hints? :yep:

Peek shocks you when you touch it.

Minor spoiler:

So you need to find a way to irritate it without touching it with your hands to harness its electricity.

You're also probably missing an item.

Minor:

There's a door you can't go through without getting rid of the character in front of it.

Minor:

Try generalizing the use of one of your items, or looking at characters (right click) to see the admittedly-too-small hint.

Major:

Remember the horribly contrived line: "So, I guess that makes you the ghost of a ____."? That was important.

Cool game! Will play more tomorrow.

One technical note: the sound goes away when the window loses focus.

Voting for the Bootleg Demake competition I made this game for is over. Got 8th place out of around 70 entries. :woohoo:

Most of the other entries are worth checking out, though I don't have the time to make a list of the standouts at the moment.