Sign in to follow this  
vimes

Thumb Fortress 2: The Sessioning

Or the sandwich could be an alternate taunt. They played with the haduken taunt remember.

Heh, I just remembered the sandwich animation appears in the Meet the Scout video.

I think the most intriguing part of this image isn't the weapon itself, but the background. It looks like we might finally be seeing a departure from the usual TF2 map theme, which while great was beginning to grate a little. Looks like cliffs 'n' forestation to me.

Looks like you're right.

Is it just me, or is Arena mode just Sudden Death from the start of the map?

Oh well, w00t new maps!

Yeah, pretty much. It also has a clear deathmatch leaning though, and I suepct a lot of people will be more preoccupied with hunting and killing the other team than anything else.

Probably won't play it too much, but I do like the new style a lot. Hopefully we'll see CP/Payload maps with that soon! :tup:

Additionally, with the Lumberyard map, Arena takes TF2 from its familiar desert backdrop to a new Alpine-themed environment. Great care was taken to ensure the art style kept to the unique look and time period of the TF2 universe, while still feeling like a departure from the usual maps players are familiar with.

Awesome

Arena mode sounds a lot like the default Counter-Strike mode. I wonder if stealth and ambush will end up being important, or whether fast Quake-style gameplay will still be the order of the day. I like the sound of Ravine too.

Hehe, I like the Meet the Sandwich video

You call that breaking a spine? You red team ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if.... AHHHHHG MY SPINE!

I really like the atmosphere they've tried to conjure around the red/blue teams, sort of like a bunch of housemates going into battle with distinct 'personalities'.

Heh, they remind me of the description of the characters Brute and Glob in The Sandman comics: the embodiments of brute cunning and cunning brutality...

*bump*

Well, after inadvertently burning myself with the Left 4 Dead sale last week (it's unplayable on my current PC), I stumped up for TF2 last night... and it works!

I've got a headset for my computer now, too, so I'd definitely be up for some Thumbs teamplay sometime. :tup:

Reviving concept...

Reviving...

Reviving...

Reviving...

Reviving...

Reviving...

Revived.

I'd be in, but life has seen a dramatic upturn in "busy" lately, so it would be sporadic. Still, I'll keep an eye on any threads that turn up and join when I can.

Sure I'll be up for another shot at it. I'll stock up on valium just in case (I enjoy TF2, but playing it for too long makes me angry for some reason that I can't work out).

I'd like to throw out a half-sequiter and ask who here has the orange box for 360 and plays TF2 that way?

I will play, but it would be for the first time, so someone would have essentially guide me through or something.;(

I will play, but it would be for the first time, so someone would have essentially guide me through or something.;(

TF2 is one of the easiest games ever to play for the first time. Like L4D it has popups that tell you what to do. The classes are all pretty self-explanatory too.

I don't know, you can play it, but it took me a few rounds to discover how some stuff actually works (the medic's übercharge and all that sort of stuff). Perhaps that's because I'd played it a year or two prior and forgotten everything but used up all the tutorial stuff. I don't know. According to a friend who plays much more than I, a lot of pyros still don't know they can put out fires. Or something.

I'm not saying it's hard, but it's not necessarily entirely self-evident. Perhaps I need to pay more attention to the instructional stuff, though.

Yeah, I have to agree with James. The basics of it are pretty obvious, but the nuances take a long while to get adjusted to. I still can't consistently rocket jump and it took me like over an hour of playing as a sniper before I even noticed the little charge meter on the scope -- before that I was wondering why I sucked so bad. After, I was OK.

Not to mention that jumping in now is a little intimidating since you're a noob in an established and mature community. It doesn't take too long to get used to it, but be prepared to die often.

Rocket Jump. rok-it + juhmp

-verb

1.Rocket and jump at the same time.

1a.Try to look at your feet.

1b.Try to shoot them with the rocket.

1c.Use your left thumb to hit spacebar at the exact moment you're using your right index finger to shoot rocket.

Note: Will not work with shotgun equipped.