lobotomy42

Soulcalibur IV

You know, I feel dumb saying it, but...Soulcalibur IV is kind of sweet. I guess it's not really noteworthy since it's basically...another Soulcalibur. But it sure is fun. And pretty.

Actually, I think part of the reason it strikes me as so pretty is that it isn't grey. At all. If anything, it seems like each character and environment is overloaded with as many different colors in as many different nooks and crannies as possible. On the whole, it's quite preferable to the popular alternative of "grey."

Also, the character creator is pretty addicting.

Has anyone figured out what happened to Team VS? In SC II there was a mode where each player selected 2-8 characters and they fought in sequence. (I.e., when one character died, your next in line jumped in, and you kept going.) I can't figure out if I need to unlock it or it's just not present.

Edited by lobotomy42

I have it on my lovefilm rental list, from what I've seen it appears pretty 'ho-hum' (whatever that means), but I've not played a fighter in many years so it might be worth a punt. I think a revision of the beat-em up genre is long overdue right?

I played it a bit and it's a nice button-bashers. I don't know anything about fighting games, but Soul Calibur is over the top and looks freaking sweet. Really impressive, visually.

I found it boring. I'm sure it's great for beat-em-up fans, and I'm sure if I had patience I'd uncover more depth to it than this button basher can currently see, but I just don't have the desire. Not my sort of game admittedly.

Soul Calibur is the only beat-em-up series I really like. It can be pickeup easily and played as a button masher, but there is enough depth that those who know what they're doing can pull off spectacular stuff. And watching two experienced players having a duel, using all the parries and guard blocks and so on.. well it's epic.

I bought SC2 but didn't play 3. I'll play this new one if I get a chance.

Why is the "official" way of writing this game Soulcalibur? Surely there's no good reason?

It should be. I haven't seen it yet though. It could conceivably be Soul Blade (from the PS1).

Soul Blade was cool, but a lot more like all the other fighters. Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast introduced the tradmark fluid gameplay.

It's not Soul Blade (although I LOVED that game), so I'm guessing it's the DC one?

Yeah, it's the Dreamcast Soulcalibur. I played the demo through as Xianghua, and it was fun, but short-lived. And, ultimately, not that different from the new one.