toblix

Buying a PS3

So, for argument's sake, let's say I want an PS3.

1. Should I do it?
  2. Should I just buy the 40GB that's available everywhere, or is there some magical version that's around the corner that I should wait for instead?
  3. Can I pop in MGS3: Subsistence (that's the one with the fancy camera, right?) and play it like a motherfucker?
  4. I want to get one because

1. I want to play MGS3
    2. I want to play MGS4
    3. I want to play Uncharted

Are these stupid reasons? Am I missing some good reasons? For example, Everybody's Golf or whatever the fuck it's called sounds fun.

The EU version will generally not play PS2 games, and will play some PS1 games, IIRC.

The 40Gb drive can be upgraded very easily with a 5400 SATA drive. There are instruction in the PS3 manual on how to do it.

Uncharted is pretty slick - one of the few games I've bothered to play through twice. I'm only on act 2 of MGS4, mainly because it requires time to play, and I've only had snippets of an hour or so here and there recently.

The EU version will generally not play PS2 games, and will play some PS1 games, IIRC.

What in the flying fuck of fucks? Fuck fuckery fuckington, that fucking sucks.

So, what was the deal with PS2 compatibility? Was it only something they had at the beginning? If they could do it in software, why stop?

The general prospect of buying a PS3 is sound at this time. Their cost is pretty much on par with the 360 now (they end up roughly equal when you factor batteries, wifi, wireless controllers, etc), and quality games are plentiful. Not to mention the excellent home cinema functionality I've mentioned before on Thumbs.

As for your reasons, you're totally out of luck if you want to play any PS2 games on a European 40GB console. One of the ways they managed to get the price down so much was by literally removing the PS2 hardware that was in the PS3, thus making it entirely incapable of playing those games.

The flipside to this is that the money you'd spend buying a PS2-compatible PS3 could just as easily be spent getting a second-hand PS2 Slim (even thinner and lighter than a Wii) for like ~£50. That's the option I chose for guaranteed compatibility.

There's no confirmed upcoming revision I'm aware of, and it's unlikely to benefit you much if one comes along anyway. Hard drive upgrades are openly supported by Sony as Norfolk said above, with a hatch on the side of the console and everything.

So, what was the deal with PS2 compatibility? Was it only something they had at the beginning? If they could do it in software, why stop?

It's never been possible purely through software, although certain parts of the PS2 have varyingly been emulated whilst hardware is used for others.

However, software emulation is still used to run PS1 games.

Okay, so I'd just misunderstood the whole emulation thing. It's amazing how confusing these things have become. Or I'm just getting slow.

There is a rumour going around that PS2 emulation through software is in the works... at the very least it's a comforting thought to have stuck in the back of your mind whilst you're playing on your handicapped PS3... but it's also likely to be 99% bullshit* so your mileage may vary on that one :D

Uncharted is a game I've only just got around to playing, it's equal parts slick and enjoyable but the combat does grate at times (Check this thread). If you're a fan of MGS then MGS4 is obviously going to rock your boat. On the horizon I'm looking forward to Little Big Planet and I'm sure there's going to be some interesting exclusives further along the line (Team ICO, the Fahrenheit folk).

I'm not sure but the 80GB bundles might have backwards compatibility built in. It's worth looking into, but even so it's not 100% guaranteed backwards compatibility so whether it's worth it to you or not I don't know. I wish I had it :blink: on the other hand you hear about more problems with the 60GB versions with some games... so err, swings and roundabouts!

*Saying that, when you look at the progress the community has made with their own PS2 emulators I'm going to continue holding out some hope.

I do have an unused tiny PS2 lying around. I just thought I could put the game in a PS3 and have it upscale the fidelity matrix to high Trinitron resolution HDCP anamorphic 100Hz TFT Super Power with superior HQ quality or something.

Is there a noticeable difference between the RGB SCART and composite cables for the PS2?

There shouldn't be. Both are pretty similar, and doesn't the SCART adapter just convert from composite anyway? I forget whether or not the PS2 has physical connections for both.

As for upscaling, it would be nice if the PS3 upscaled the resolution of PS2 games but I don't think it does. I think it just upscales the overall outputted picture, much like a television does. You can probably get equivalent or superior upscaling to the PS3's effort if your television has a good upscaler chip inside it.

...and of course there's WipeoutHD. It was due a month ago, and still no sign, but we can hope it will be soon!

I just bought a PS3 a couple of days ago. It was kind of an easy choice for me as I don't own an Xbox 360 (so it's not like I was buying it for just the exclusives) and I want to be able to watch Blu-Ray movies.

The interface is neat and the options are plentiful. The PS3 Blu-Ray remote (not included of course) seems very good too and should probably be bought if you are going to use PS3 for DVD/Blu-Ray playback. At least I found the normal controller a bit awkward for that purpose.

Does PS3 do some nice tricks with DVD playback or am I just imagining it looks better than with a normal DVD player?

I also wish the PS2-software emulation rumours where true, as I missed out on the entire previous generation of consoles and would like to be able to play games like Shadow of the Colossus and.. erm.. there were some others too. Is it possible that Sony will eventually start releasing the PS2 classics through Playstation Store? I think it was rumoured at some point as well.

There are options for upscaling and if you open the settings screen while a DVD is on you can fiddle around and see very quickly it makes a big improvement. The only problem is the upscaling is limited to the physical discs, so it won't upscale anything on the hard-drive (as far as I'm aware).

For the record, I've turned my 360 on once since I bought a PS3 about 6 weeks ago. Use it all the time for streaming, games, DVD's etc.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying earlier. The PS3 is remarkably good at replacing the home cinema equipment of a lot of people. There's so much configuration for each component it's way above the level of most consumer separates, including most DVD players.

I'd agree that the PS3 remote is a must, though. With that fucker you can just use the unit like your regular DVD player and whatnot. I'd also like to see some kind of LCD display so you can use the CD player without needing to turn the television on — not sure if one exists. If it does though, let me know where you saw it. :tup:

So going back to the backwards compatibility thing (this has been confusing me for some time and these seems the perfect opportunity), there are no current PS3s with it in, right?

But if I bought an second hand one off of ebay or something, is there a way of knowing it has the hardware in or not?

If it's an EU console that it definitely won't have full backwards compatibility, and instead has semi-software emulation that works with some games and not for others.

I'm not sure about the current US consoles, but I'd expect they no longer have it either.

At this point it's so difficult and expensive to get your hands on one that's guaranteed to support backwards compatibility you're better off just saving the £100-£250 and getting a PS2 Slim instead. On a purely aesthetic level, I also prefer the newer consoles' matte silver trim rather than the over-shiny chrome on the original PS3s.

I'm not sure about the current US consoles, but I'd expect they no longer have it either.

The 80 Gig PS3 still has software BC in North America. And it's region free too, so you should be ok if you imported one. But yeah, for the most part you're screwed now if you want a PS3 with BC capability.

Is it possible that Sony will eventually start releasing the PS2 classics through Playstation Store? I think it was rumoured at some point as well.

Would you trust a stranger on the internet? I certainly would. Makes me feel happy for a while and I know I will forget it really soon so I won't even get that disappointed..

"Most surprising is that its supposedly launching in Europe first! Guess Sony has realised how valuable us Europeans are to them!"

lol, "as if!"

My guess is it's a photoshop based on rumours made a while back, and the closing statement is meant to be a very subtle joke :shifty: but still, I would like it to be true - my PS2 is crappored and I like the convenience of 'new'.

edit; they are running this rumour on Joystiq and Kotaku

PR people are blatantly instructed to lie in the run up to big announcements, but yeah. A 2 post wonder on some random forum is most probably faking it.

It would be totally awesome if I could buy a PS3 and then just download MGS3.

There are options for upscaling and if you open the settings screen while a DVD is on you can fiddle around and see very quickly it makes a big improvement. The only problem is the upscaling is limited to the physical discs, so it won't upscale anything on the hard-drive (as far as I'm aware).

The new update lists this in the 'whats changed' section, so I wonder whether it will use the same upscaling techniques used for DVDs?;

Video

• You can now use the [Frame Noise Reduction] and [block Noise Reduction] settings for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media.
  • You can now play upscaled video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. When the video content is played, it is upscaled automatically to fit the screen size.
  • Upscaling of Blu-ray Disc (BDAV) video content is now supported.