toblix

The Sam & Max games are so great

It's weird. I know they're great, and I enjoy playing them, and I recommend them to others, but I always have to force myself to play them because the sequel has been released.

Doctor, what is wrong with me?

Brain disorder? I dunno...

Truthfully, though I have downloaded Night of the Raving Dead, I have not yet played it. I had a night to myself yesterday, but instead opted to go through the opening two chapters of No More Heroes.

In my defense, whenever I start playing a Sam and Max game, I usually don't stand up again until it's been finished, and I wanted to make sure I got some sleep last night. When Moai Better Blues came out I was up until 5 that morning to see the credits. I think Sam and Max should be something that I do when I have a full afternoon to myself. Luckily, it's reading week now, so I should be ok for it.

If it's a general comment on the games themselves, you may be starting to get the vibe, as I know I am, that the puzzles are getting a bit too "glue on the fence to get a cat hair mustache" for your tastes. Season 1 only had a couple of moments when I thought "Oh come on!" while the first two episodes of Season 2 have already had more than all of the first. A little frustrating, but the writing and acting is as sharp as ever, so I'm sticking with it for the foreseeable future. I will say that while I essentially camped out in front of my PC waiting for each episode of Season 1 to go live, I have not had the same reaction to the current episodes. I may just have more of a life now, or it may be something else.

Yes, I know I italicized Raving Dead and used bold for Heroes. I figure since one is episodic and the overall title would be Sam and Max: Season 2 that I should use bold for full titles and italics for episodes

(I think properly full titles should be italicized and episodes in quotation marks, but since Telltale's the only real example of episodic gaming the nomenclature is still understandably cloudy.)

I've not even completed the Xmas one yet. I got stuck and frustrated. I started it up again on a new computer and then I remembered how dull it was... Eep... that sounds really bad. Maybe dull isn't the right word... I did have to start over to get back to where I was up to, so that's probably what was so unenticing.

It's true that it can be unsatisfying when the puzzles are so illogical, though.

I'll get back to them, as they ARE highly entertaining, but I don't feel any rush to do so.

I played the whole first season in a row. I usually also watch interesting TV series that way -- wait until the season is over, then download the whole season and watch it in marathon mode. So maybe episodic just isn't for me.

I played the first S&M episode in Season 2, but something made me stop early in ep. 2 and for some reason it fails to draw me to continue...