miffy495

Uncharted

It liiiiives! I'm late to the party, and bought Uncharted: The cheap version. It's beautiful and plays really well, but Jesus Fucking Christ is it hard! The bad guys take tons of ammo before throwing themselves to the ground, and I run out almost immediately. I just rage quitted after the sequence where you've just climbed down from the plane part and the guys come busting through the gate. I use all my ammo on two or three guys and then I'm out! Is there a way of changing back to easy mid-game?

Best way to save ammo is to find a good cover and carefully aim for the head. The bad guys usually stay in one place for some time so you don't have to panic. When you are low on ammo, just run towards the closest dead bad guys to collect some more, find a new cover, and stay down until you are healed. You will probably still die a lot every now and then, though, and there are moments when it's hard to find a good cover or the bad guys come from all the directions but you can usually handle these by aiming for the enemy closest to you and reassessing the situation after that.

In my opinion the beginning of the game wasn't much easier compared to the rest of the game, so if you find the beginning hard, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will become impossible later on.

Also, I had to lower the sensitivity quite a bit in order to get proper shots.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it another go after I've gotten the lasagna in the oven.

Yeah, ammo can get scarce at certain points - there tends to be more of it later in the game I found, and you'll want to choose weapons that suit you're abilities. Don't go carrying around a gun you'll find it hard to get additional ammo for, or that have small clips.

The section you mention, I think I remember it - I died there quite a lot (but in fairness I was trying out for some trophies - hanging from the old ruins to kill so many people, getting as many of them in one exploded grenade - that sort of thing is perfect in that area). My advice is to just stick with it because those annoyances will be long forgotten when you reminisce on the whole experience :D

My PS3 resistance is beginning to crumble... ;(

Just fucking tear it down. Jus the lack of WHIRRRRRRRRRRRR makes it worth owning one.

My PS3 resistance is beginning to crumble... ;(

That's OK. Resistance 2 is just around the horizon. :getmecoat

That's OK. Resistance 2 is just around the horizon. :getmecoat

Unable to catch the meaning of the smiley, I have to ask. Is Resistance 2 going to be awesome or horrible? I have barely heard of Resistance: Fall of Man. It was a mediocre FPS launch title, no?

Obviously, my stupid pun of a joke was a failure.

(That said, as a non-PS3 owner, Resistance 2 is looking interesting. Their multi-class co-op thing sounds pretty cool, better than Gears' horde mode. But this is the wrong thread for that.)

Okay, I used your hints, and they were awesome. I've made great headway, and I'm at the part where I'm heading towards "the Great Tower". Some questions:

1. Is the game going to be all jungle and temples?
  2. Does the rest of the game maintain the balance of 80% shootouts and 20% jumping around on shit?

Not exactly. There are a few varied locations off the top of my head but they all share a similar ambience by virtue of being in the same area. Combat takes precedence throughout the game unfortunately, but if you can grin and bear it the annoyance it presents will be lessened the more you play. Or at least that's what I found. Are you actually enjoying it?

Oh, yeah. As long as the combat is just challenging, and not frustratingly hard, I'm enjoying it. I'd prefer less combat and more of the other stuff (like the whole plane thing -- climbing, exploring, story), which is why I'm looking forward to Tomb Raider: Underworld, which seems to hit closer to my preferred balance of these things. The graphics are fantastic, the animation is great -- it's especially awesome that the bad guys move in such unpredictable patterns. In other games -- a recent example being GTA IV -- you can just keep your crosshair at the point where you know the bad guy's head'll pop up when he attacks, but here you never know. He may pop out, but he may roll or slide out, or -- awesomely -- just step out ducking underneath your crosshair. I've developed a liking for cover-based combat playing Mass Effect and GTA IV, but I've simultaneously developed a liking for enemies that stay in their fucking place and not work their way toward me. It's frightening.

So it's about as fun as I expected (i.e. very) but not as fantastic as I imagine a less combatty approach would've made it. Also, the treasures you find -- they look fucking amazing!

Fuck this shit. I'm not going to complain, but what the fuck is up with all games having some extremely hard parts just attacking you in the ass without warning? There was the GTA IV ending, and now this fucking room where there are a ton of guys, and when I've killed them a second ton of guys come. Kudos, though, for letting me go again in, oh, about zero seconds.

Woo fucking hoo! I just did it, and in the typical way: the screen was greyed out, I was taking hits from all angles, I thought "fuck it" and ran for the guy manning the stationary gun, firing my last bullets in his direction. I had my finger on the rage quit button all the time, but somehow I managed to give him one in the forehead and I just managed to turn the gun towards the stairs to gun down someone who was right on my tail. From there I could just pick down the remaining guys and then loot the room, filling up all my slots.

It's almost an erotic experience, overcoming challenges such as these, and I know that the developers are aiming for that experience for the player, but still... I dunno. Maybe it's just me.

I'm still mad about the last GTA IV mission though.

I'm not actually sure which part you mean. I think Uncharted was designed really well in a way that the crazy hard parts are up to your style of play and not the game doing something ridiculous. It takes trying something you normally wouldn't to overcome it, and I appreciate that.

At any rate, congrats on overcoming all of that!

That hard bit you were on about...was that in the big square room with 4 doors off it in the submarine base near the end with those horrors? It gave you a *shitload* of ammo, so you could tell there was *something* nasty coming up! :) It was bitch though. I think I nearly made it through it first go round but did something stupid...then took ages to get past it.

No, it was the one where you come down some stairs, and there's a huge room with some pillars and shit, and a guy on the opposite end of the room manning a huge gun, and when you've made your way to his side of the room, people attack from the rear.

I'm pretty sure you had access to a scoped rifle at that point (for taking down the guy manning the gun) and there is ammo and stuff laying around near the pillars (or thereabouts).

Lovely, just fantastic. The style of combat they had established through the first half of the game wasn't good enough? What a crock of shit it is to start pulling monsters out the hat halfway through the game, with no reason or warning or anything. Didn't they play Far Cry?

Well, fuck you, Naughty Dog. I'm now at the place Norfolk'n'Clue mentioned, and what do you know, they just decided checkpoints are not to be placed around willy-nilly, so right before making it out I get killed by one of those fucking annoying pieces of game-destroying awesomeness-cleansing shit zombies, and I have to start the whole thing all over. Of all the most obvious places to have checkpoints (i.e. when having completed a distinct section of a long fight) they just go "fuck it". And they sort of have a point -- they introduced zombies, so they might as well just piss some more all over it.

Anyway, the game's awesome, I know. Don't ban me, please.

Apologies Toblix, I was under the impression you had finished the game. I hope I didn't spoil it too much...

What, no! You put your comments in a spoiler tag. That's totally the right way to do it.