Sign in to follow this  
MrHoatzin

Thief Gold is full of shit

After Trep called me an idiot for giving away my Thief, I went out there and by sheer accident stumbled upon Thief GOLD (remember when Eidos used to do that shit?) in a legit package that looked worse than some Eastern European warez packs. The little slip of paper in lieu of the manual refers to the game as "Monopoly"....

All that aside, the game believes my computer runs NT and is therefore DirectX impaired which is not true as I run XP and only have problem with DirectX 9 games. Is there a fix for this or should I try my luck on my sister's antediluvian, graphic-cardless computer?

Bitch.

Anyway, I believe there is a certain code you need to slip into the .ini whatchamacallit by way of a thingamajig in order for Thief to play in XP. I'll try to find it for you.

EDIT: Here, I found it. Hope this helps.

More problems are arising and I am trying to fix them now... I'll get back to you shortly...

All fixed... the game looks... much worse than I remember it looking... but it works! Eureka!

Laughing Out Loud.

Of course it looks awful, Looking Glass / Ion Storm Austin have never been known for good artwork and such, they're more respected for better gameplay. I honestly don't think their art direction is very good. Such a shame, isn't it? Thief was released around the time of Half-Life and Quake III, and graphically it's....well, to put it bluntly, it's rather ugly looking for its time. Thief: Deadly Shadows should have been named Thief: Butt Ugly Shadows, even it is being criticized for its lack of attractive graphics.

Yes, however, XP is not as DirectXly-impaired as NT was. I know. I used to run NT at some point or other.

Ok, then. I had the same problems installing the Thief Gold demo on my win2000. That installer (plus the other things) is quite moronic.

Platinum version of the regular thief: the dark project seems to have no trouble whatsoever with Win2000 nor WinXP.

Hehe... I just had a similar reaction when I recently finally found Thief Gold as well.

And indeed, much uglier than I remembered. But hell of a good gameplay, although it's a bit annoying to play -- because of my brigthness-impaired computer I have to use shortcut keys to turn up brightness a lot since the game will forget the current brightness each time it switches screens.

Thief shit is full of gold!

Robbery related arrests increase tenfold as police enjoy plumbing-prosperity!