Sign in to follow this  
Karimi

You can't spell Loom without ...

Woke up this morning at 4 am and couldn't get to sleep. So I decided to download (I am a bad bad person)and play Loom. By 8:30 (am) I had played through it one and a half times and read several reviews.

Its such an interesting concept. The inventory system (or lack thereof) is certainly ahead of its time. The lack of a dialogue tree is somewhat primitive but the conversations still pretty much cover everything. The story is spectacular and Bobbin is an interesting protagonist. Did anyone notice the shift to a more Monkey Island-like game near the end ? It seemed to me the whole loneliness and surreal element was somewhat diluted towards a more humorous feel to the game. Maybe its just me but I would have liked it if the dragon wasn't as flamboyant and the character didn't make the jokes he did (some where more slapstick than purely solemn and sarcastic).

Overall its a very short game ; it took me about 2-3 hours to complete. But that short length means that everyone should play this game and finish it. Just pick it up on a slow day or if you can't get to sleep, it will certainly be worth the time.

I just read your guide to joining Idle Forums (no idea why the thread is locked, so I'm replying here). When I saw the title I thought "who is this idiot?", but as I read it I realized it was hilarious and brilliantly (awfully) true!

But now it makes me suspicious of your pro-LucasArts/pro-Loom post... Is he just saying this to try and become our friend...?? Is it all just some ruse to win us over...?? ;(

I felt about Loom the same way about Dreamfall. Loved the characters and story, although the gameplay itself was fairly straightforward. I do remember a couple of cool bits, though (all near the beginning afair):

Opening the sky. Hiding the sheep. Figuring out that you could a song backwards to perform the inverse of a spell.

It didn't really seem to deserve all the mocking in the later LucasArts games, although Bobbin Threadbare was admittedly a silly name. As for the piracy, I don't condone it (I own a secondhand CD, which includes an audio drama of the game) but damn if LucasArts nowadays doesn't want to sell its old adventure games to willing buyers or even acknowledge its past as a good storyteller.

I don't recall Loom being mocked in other LucasArts games, at least not in some derisive way. There was that crack in CMI about no one knowing the game exists, but that's not a jab at the game's quality.

I don't recall Loom being mocked in other LucasArts games, at least not in some derisive way. There was that crack in CMI about no one knowing the game exists, but that's not a jab at the game's quality.

I mainly remember the Monkey Island ones. There were a few references in SMI and the joke you mentioned in CMI. Nothing too bad though.

Man, I remember talking with a friend over the summer and he was saying that he bet he could name a game that I haven't played. See, he doesn't play much, but has a good 7 years on me and played a lot back when he was younger. Given that I'm 20 and was very young when Loom came out, he thought he could best me. Turns out that I'm the only other person he's ever found who's actually played the game. I recently burned him a copy for Christmas, as he'd been talking about wanting to give it another shot but having no idea how to find it. Happy times, and a great game. I played it about 8 years ago now, but only remember good things about it. I should probably fire it up again sometime soon.

I mainly remember the Monkey Island ones. There were a few references in SMI and the joke you mentioned in CMI. Nothing too bad though.

Loom was mocked from within Loom!

full20040719100002.gif