Salka

The Next Big Internet Thing

lolcanns.jpg

Like LOLCATS, but LOLCANNS.

Pictures of people both surrounding and directly involved in the Madeleine McCann case, with tasteful yet lighthearted, humourous captions. I reckon it's a winner. Please nobody tip The Sun off about this thread.

It's inevitable that The Sun or the Daily Mail will find out.

LOLCats are roughly at the Sun's literacy standard, so maybe it will just make them approach with staff writer jobs on offer.

I'm not so sure - I think Sun hacks are possibly better at writing than the people who work on the Broadsheets (or Berliners now). That might sound arse about face, however, they basically have to tell a similar set of stories to people using a smaller set of words than is available to the more upmarket papers.

meh... cats are more interesting, it's not just the text you know, it's the actual pictures of the cats.

cat pictures > cann pictures

You will Yufster when she finds out about this thread, waits until you have a baby, lets it grow up for several years, and then steals/rapes/kills it just so she can do the same to you. :fart:

You will Yufster when she finds out about this thread, waits until you have a baby, lets it grow up for several years, and then steals/rapes/kills it just so she can do the same to you. :fart:

You shouldn't leave a small child alone in the first place.

I was under the impression that they always had a line of sight with the apartment doors, and that they were checking in every 20-40 minutes. I'm not saying that I'd do that as I'm paranoid and overprotective, but I'm sure not seeing your kids for 60 minutes at a time is something parents do on a regular basis.

Some sick fuck could climb in through an upper window while you're watching a loud film and be off with your child and you probably wouldn't know. All they'd have to do is observe what you're doing and/or your habits. If a sick fuck is really intent on taking a kid and is enough of a sick fuck to actually do it, I'm not sure any parental vigilance is enough.

The sick fuck in this case probably sat there for ages watching the parents' movements (as well as the family friends who were also checking by), and targeted the perfect moment. With a dedicated sick fuck like that he would have probably eventually gotten her by waiting for the opportunity no matter what. The sick fuck probably probably fancied the hell out of her.

I completely agree with you by the way, Thrik.

elmeurte it's very easy for you as a young man to take the high-and-mighty stance that they shouldn't have left their babies alone. However, they were lulled into a false sense of security, which is entirely understandable. All three of their children were also very, very heavy sleepers... nobody could have known their children better than them, and they probably knew that the children would sleep soundly through the night. After all, the two youngest children didn't wake up once during the commotion and panic that night, yet it has been proven through tests that they hadn't been drugged at all (contrary to popular belief).

So, knowing that their children were heavy sleepers, they probably DID feel safe going off for a meal nearby. It would have seemed not entirely different from having dinner in your garden while the kids were asleep upstairs. Yes they made a stupid mistake, but it does irritate me slightly when people with no knowledge of raising children and with none of their own, leap atop their high horse and comment about how terrible it is that the McCann's left their children alone while they ate... with a kind of "you deserved to have your child kidnapped because you didn't watch her 24/7" attitude... I think people should be a little more considerate before they make judgements such as that.

Also I think people should be more considerate before posting pictures of Kate McCann with lolcatz captions. This thread is sick.

After all, the two youngest children didn't wake up once during the commotion and panic that night, yet it has been proven through tests that they hadn't been drugged at all (contrary to popular belief).

Proven? When were they tested, some things leave the system very quickly. Although I believe it is only a point of interest for the "plx help ma, I Maccan kelled ma child, plx help ma" school.

The garden analogy is a gross over exaggeration it was a much greater distance than a garden, the line of sight was terrible and there is no way sound form the apartment would have reached them and the apartment was more vulnerable to intrusion than most houses.

The regularity with which they checked on the kids is varied among witness statements (I think ranging from every 5-10 mins (as the lets protect jim and kate estimate) to the they went one or two times that evening [the we were all too pissed to remember guess]). Although u cannot always be with your children, when they are that young u should always be within earshot of them (at least have some electronic listening device), the twins were very young to be left alone, what would have happened if one them started choking during the night?

Okay if they left their children like that and nothing happened most people wouldn't bat an eyelid, and a determined kidnapper probably would have found a way regardless of the poor parenting, but it still was a terrible piece of parenting, and should not be excused no matter how much others do similar things. They were unlucky and they will have to live with that forever, and will probably never stop second guessing themselves (in my mind they don’t deserve to). I'm sure many parents would like to forget they had kids for an evening but u can't leave young child alone and go off gallivanting. Any number of circumstances could have arisen that a young child isn't equipped to deal with, and as a parent it is your responsibility and your duty to be within earshot of your young child when that happens (or to ensure a trusted person is) .

They can do tests on hair strands to check what kind of crap has been in their system, innit?

Chill out, I'm not saying that it wasn't a bad idea to leave the kids on their own, I'm just saying it was an entirely understandable, human mistake, and people should trop treating it as though they deserved their child to be taken because they made that mistake.

Also you might not ever have the chance to leave your children on their own, you might only have ever heard of children who sleep lightly etc, but for instance my boss' child goes to bed at 6 every day, and sleeps solidly through until 8am the next morning. If your child was like that, you'd feel a lot safer leaving them while you went for dinner, because you'd feel safe that they wouldn't wake up and wander around. Even though that's not an excuse and doesn't make their mistake any less of a mistake, it still all contributes to that false sense of security. You think you know your child, you think you know how everything is going to be, you don't really stop to think about a paedophile coming through the window to snatch her...

Now why don't you do something useful and contribute to lolcanns?

Even the best babysitter would not have been able to prevent the Alien Tractor Beam.

They would if they were an alien bounty hunter, or maybe they wouldn't but they would have tracked her down by now and gotten her back if she was still alive (very unlikely given the amount of media attention, it would have been better to not have such a large media campaign, that way the kidnapper wouldn't have gotten scared and killed her, and then hired an army of private investigators with all the money u conned out of people to pay your mortgage) or avenged her when her mangled, battered and pre and post-mortem raped body.

Also I don't think how deep a child sleeps affects anything, ok u don't have to worry about them messing themselves up, but what about things like them choking during the night, a fire starting or any of the other million things that could happen that a baby/toddler wouldn't be able to deal with but an adult would.

lol. Sometimes you've just got to laugh at things. Otherwise you'd cry. Well I wouldn't but someone might... like that McCann woman... :shifty::getmecoat

This is all old hat anyway. The new big story is the Amnesiac Canoeist.

Oooooo yeah! I love that guy! imagine wandering into a garda station and saying "um, i think i'm a missing person" . and the wife in panama? beautiful! v darjeeling ltd.

lol. Sometimes you've just got to laugh at things. Otherwise you'd cry. Well I wouldn't but someone might... like that McCann woman... :shifty::getmecoat

instead of crying u might take your frustration out on your young child and accidently kill it.

I was under the impression that they always had a line of sight with the apartment doors, and that they were checking in every 20-40 minutes. I'm not saying that I'd do that as I'm paranoid and overprotective, but I'm sure not seeing your kids for 60 minutes at a time is something parents do on a regular basis.

Leaving 3 children (wth 2 of them being 2 years old) alone in a house while you are 120 meters away is a stupid thing. Checking in every 20-40 minutes is useless, you might as well never check (simple probability theory). It takes you more than 5 minutes to get to your children when you can react instantly.

It's simply bad parenting.

Five minutes? More like less than one. :shifty:

Everything Yufster says still stands true. I bet your parents have left you in worse circumstance, whether you remember them or not. Every parent has lapses, and all it takes is an unfortunate incident to occur during one of those lapses for disaster to strike. If you think your own parents have never had a lapse then you're seriously deluded. This is severe bad misfortune on the McCann parents' fault, but they don't deserve contempt for it. All testimonials indicate that they were excellent parents.

It's too tempting to just blame the parents in cases like this. Did you see the news story about where the 8-month-old baby was left to sleep in a blanket in the next room, and the family dog ate the baby's genitals? Are they bad parents too?

No. They just didn't expect their fucking dog to eat the baby's genitals -- it wouldn't have even crossed their minds. Similarly, a great big hulking paedophile going and taking their daughter while they were across the road didn't cross the McCanns' minds, compounded further by the natural false sense of security that most people get on holiday (despite really being more vulnerable than ever).

er... what!? ok.. that's fucked up...

anyway, I think think you should leave very young kids alone out of reach of a baby monitor.